USGS / Google (Read 796 times)

corrade

Valet Parking

I'm having a problem using the topographic maps today. My solution is to go to google maps, and the terrain view. All I'm interested in is generally exploring for trails right now. Google maps seem to have all the elevation info on them, and they load real fast, so I imagine Google is avoiding whatever complicates USGS maps. Google maps have just changed in a few ways - they have this great elevation info now, the directions offer a 'walking' option that seems to access maps of closed roads and some trail systems, and they have their crazy street view that gives you a 360ยบ image of many locations. Anyhow, a lot of changes lately to mapping products on the web. Eric, are there any opportunities to use these on the site in the future?
    eric :)

I'm not aware of Google having elevation data. They do have a new map with this cool 3D look, which will be part of the map upgrade in the new log. I don't think they exposed the street view interface and I don't know how useful that is for running. It does allow for directions but I haven't gotten around to do that yet.
      corrade

Valet Parking

Thanks Eric, I don't know the details on how these things work, but the Google Terrain views have elevation rings with numbers. Saw your other post about an alternate source for elevation data and didn't know another source existed. I'm seeing this info on Terrain view come up when both the Elevation graphing and the Topographic mapping from USGS wouldn't cooperate. Up till this past month, your runningahead maping function has allowed me to log my vertical climb for every single run, while I trained for mountain races. I think that was very beneficial, so thanks a lot for making it available Big grin