Canyonlands half marathon, Moab UT (Read 737 times)

Good people of Running Ahead, Who is in on the Canyonlands Half Marathon? Saturday March 8, http://www.moabhalfmarathon.org/halfm/halfm.html Hoping for good weather and a PR Kenny
      I just read about the Canyonlands half marathon and it looks like a beautiful race. I think that could be my destination for next year. Let us know how it goes. I have always been told Canyonlands was a beautiful place anyway, but the thrill of running there must be a thrill. Where will you be staying? (I am already thinking ahead to next year!)
        I just read about the Canyonlands half marathon and it looks like a beautiful race. I think that could be my destination for next year. Let us know how it goes. I have always been told Canyonlands was a beautiful place anyway, but the thrill of running there must be a thrill. Where will you be staying? (I am already thinking ahead to next year!)
        You will have a hard time finding a more beautiful run. Be sure to check the website around October for the opening lottery date. Here's a couple of links for hotels. They fill up fast, make reservations the same day you enter the lottery, then cancel if you don't make it. I don't remember the place I stayed last year. A friend of mine tried the Moab Valley inn and said it was alright (not nice just OK) I am going to give the apache a shot http://www.moabvalleyinn.com/ http://www.apachemotel.net/
          Well folks, I'm back from my five day Southern Utah adventure. With a 4:06 PR. I spent the first two days taking care of a sick wife and daughter, trying ever so hard not to get sick.(imagine T-shirt pulled over face for two days) I was able to leave the hotel with my oldest (seven) for several hours to hike in to Corona Arch (10 miles NW of the race) Back side of Corona Arch Tired from hiking My wife and youngest were well enough to leave the hotel on Friday. On to the race Starting line(taken the day before the race) The bus dropped us off 1/4 mile west of the starting line 90 minutes before the race. It was a bit cold, but they did have drop bags for sweats. 45 minutes before gun time we had to put our bags into the drop trailer and head for the starting line. This made for a mighty cold wait. (40 F in light shorts a T-shirt) Overcast skies and cool temps made for ideal race conditions, I warmed up within 5 min and was comfortable the rest of the race. About mile 5 There were 3,830 total runner. 2,899 for the Half Marathon, 931 for the 5 miler. It is an awesome sight to see that many runners, especially on such a narrow road. Canyon rim from the road Results Mens overall 1:09:25 Womens overall 1:23:41 Masters Men 1:10:50 Masters Women 1:25:34 Now for me I ran a PR of 1:33:34 for 139/2899 overall 22/212 M 34-39 It is great to PR, but I finished knowing I did not do as well as I could have. Last year I crossed the finish line knowing I gave it my all. I wish I would have paced myself a little faster earlier. I keep hearing the letters HTFU, HTFU, HTFU...........OK, enough boobing. I registered for the Salt Lake Half in 5 weeks. I am hoping for another PR and the redemption of my best effort.
            Congrats on a great race and PR. My only trip to that area was for a mountain biking trip. Beautiful place. Nice pictures.
            Don't let the fat fool you .....
              I love this race! Your photos bring back memories. It was my first half marathon too. Such a great experience. If only they could do something about the little section along the highway at the end...
                Lovely pictures Smile A friend of mine at work was in on it. I'm definitely going to try to be there for the next one! Congrats on the PR.

If I had a dollar for every time I said that, I'd be making money in a very weird way. - Mitch Hedberg

What a great race. Well organized and stunning scenery. I really like the course and was able to run under 90 minutes for the first time in 27 years.
                  Sulli42

What a great race. Well organized and stunning scenery. I really like the course and was able to run under 90 minutes for the first time in 27 years.
                    Congratulations! Great time. Very inspiring, I hope I'm still goin' strong when I hit 60. MTA: Wow! Roll eyes I just checked the finishing results from the race. Looks like you and I were running together for awhile. Small world, Eh? Smile
                      Congratulations Dustin! I am living part time in SLC now. Do you run with a club or in any group runs?
                      Sulli42

I'm pretty much into running solo, most of the time. I do have a running buddy, though, he's the guy who posted this thread. There is group, however, if your interested in meeting other runners. Salt Lake City Track Club
                          Thanks. It looks like from your log that you have been ill. That can be frustrating. I am trying to get ready to run another Half Marathon in Washington DC in two weeks. It is a little sooner that I would like, but my brother and I are running with our sons who live there. I enjoy running in SLC (the climate is much better than Michigan). Can't wait for Spring. Keep up the good work and hope to see you at one of the SLC races.