Training at seal level; Racing at altitude. (Read 221 times)

My daughter is running in the West coast JO in Reno this weekend. She has never trained or run at any altitude significantly above sea level. I read this online:

"If you live at sea level and have a race at high altitude, you should train at high altitude for at least two weeks, though preferably three to six weeks, before your competition. Dehydration and acute altitude sickness symptoms are more likely to occur within the first one to two weeks of altitude exposure, and will likely worsen race performance. However, since these symptoms often take 24 to 48 hours to develop, you may also wish to race within 24 hours of your arrival at altitude. Although you will not acclimate to the altitude during this short time frame, you likely will avoid the physical symptoms of altitude exposure."

WE don't have weeks to train, we would be driving up the morning of the race.

I was thinking of  possibly showing up a couple days early but apparently that will have no effect, or based on what I read, it could have a negative effect on acclimation. Has anyone experienced this and is there a good strategy to deal with having to drive from sea Level to 4500 feet and immediately run a 3000M race? She runs 1500M 24 hours after the 3000M.

Thanks for any help offered.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I recommend not letting Seal know you intend to train on his level...it won't end well for you.

**Ask me about streaking**

My daughter is running in the West coast JO in Reno this weekend. She has never trained or run at any altitude significantly above sea level. I read this online:

"If you live at sea level and have a race at high altitude, you should train at high altitude for at least two weeks, though preferably three to six weeks, before your competition. Dehydration and acute altitude sickness symptoms are more likely to occur within the first one to two weeks of altitude exposure, and will likely worsen race performance. However, since these symptoms often take 24 to 48 hours to develop, you may also wish to race within 24 hours of your arrival at altitude. Although you will not acclimate to the altitude during this short time frame, you likely will avoid the physical symptoms of altitude exposure."

WE don't have weeks to train, we would be driving up the morning of the race.

I was thinking of  possibly showing up a couple days early but apparently that will have no effect, or based on what I read, it could have a negative effect on acclimation. Has anyone experienced this and is there a good strategy to deal with having to drive from sea Level to 4500 feet and immediately run a 3000M race? She runs 1500M 24 hours after the 3000M.

Thanks for any help offered.

If you are worried about the medical side, I don't think you have to be too concerned about 4500 feet. I don't think that is usually high enough for people to start having issues with altitude sickness and certainly don't know anyone that has had issues going from sea level up to 4000 or 5000 feet.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Birdwell

Don't worry about it.

4500 feet is not "high altitude".

If you're driving up, that should be plenty of time for her body to acclimate to the relatively low altitude she'll face there.

NHLA

When I get over 5000' I start to feel it but its not bad only a little dizzy. Its worse when its cold. I don't think she will have any problem.

Feeling the growl again

She'll probably feel it for the last half of the 3000m, but Ii don't see a big deal about it.  It's only 3000m and only 4500ft.  I did the same but was a bit higher (Denver) and ran 7+ miles.  I could feel it after a mile and so ended up a little slower, that was all.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

Two data points:

1. As others have said, 4,500'  MSL doesn't qualify as "high altitude".
                2. I lived in Chicago (594' MSL) back in 1990 and raced an Olympic distance Triathlon in Mammoth Lakes (7,880' MSL) that summer.  I literally drove from Chicago to San Francisco, spent a few days with family, and then drove to Mammoth Lakes two days before the Triathlon.  I did a half mile pool swim in town the day before the race and was very concerned at my feeling of exhaustion throughout the workout.  The the race started with a 1,500 meter swim in Crowley Lake (6,781' MSL), the 40 kilometer bike started off down hill, climbed over Sherwin Summit (6,426' MSL), dropped a bit, turned around, and headed for the town of Mammoth Lakes where the 10 kilometer run routed us up and down and all over town, I'm pretty sure the highest point we hit during the run was about 9,000' MSL.  My typical Chicago area Olympic distance Triathlon that summer was run in the low 2:20 range, the Mammoth Lakes Triathlon took me more like 2:45.  I was pretty whipped at the finish, nothing unusual about that, and suffered no altitude sickness.

I told you the above to tell you this, for someone in good shape (like your daughter), the "rules" don't really apply; yes, two or more weeks of training at altitude would be the best, but failing that, I believe it would be best for her to get up there a day or two before the event and do some light workouts, if for no other reason than to get used to the thinner air.

Please update us on how she did in the race.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                kcam

My opinion is that 4500 feet (if you're accustomed to sea level) absolutely WILL affect her performance in a negative way.   Any locals will have an advantage.  I live in the SF Bay Area and ran a race in Reno a few weeks ago (it started at 4700feet) and my performance was significantly affected.  You're not too far from Mt Diablo, it might help to get in some significant training runs at the top of Mt Diablo.  I've considered going there the next time I need to race in Reno or any other higher altitude location.

npaden

IMO showing up a few days early would be about all you could do at this point to help.

When I go hunting at higher altitudes I like to get there a few days early and get at least 2 nights sleep in at the higher altitude before I do a lot of heavy exertion.

The best thing for altitude is allowing your body to produce additional red blood cells while you sleep at night at higher altitude.  Running with restrictive masks, etc. is all a bunch of hooey.

I've never heard anything that would indicate that showing up a couple days early would have a negative affect on acclimatization.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Feeling the growl again

The typical response to this would be that for the first couple days you will take on fatigue as your body adjusts to the altitude, so a couple days after you get there you will actually be more tired and perform worse than if you just arrived and went straight to the competition.  They you start acclimating and things go the other way.

I say typical because while it makes some sense according to my personal experience, I can't exactly link any well-controlled studies demonstrating this phenomenon either.

I've never heard anything that would indicate that showing up a couple days early would have a negative affect on acclimatization.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Don't worry about it.

4500 feet is not "high altitude".

If you're driving up, that should be plenty of time for her body to acclimate to the relatively low altitude she'll face there.

Splitting hairs there. It is not "high altitude" but 4,500 is certainly high enough to feel an effect.

Ideally you want at least a week or two to acclimate. Without that, then driving up the day of or day before is best. Hydrate before the race, and after. And consider pace adjustment. She might want to start out about 2 or even 3 seconds per lap slower than normal and try to close fast over the last 500 or 600 meters.

Birdwell

Splitting hairs there. It is not "high altitude" but 4,500 is certainly high enough to feel an effect.

Ideally you want at least a week or two to acclimate. Without that, then driving up the day of or day before is best. Hydrate before the race, and after. And consider pace adjustment. She might want to start out about 2 or even 3 seconds per lap slower than normal and try to close fast over the last 500 or 600 meters.

Splitting hairs, yes, it's higher than sea level.

However, my interpretation of the OP and what was quoted and italicized by GVdenny, is talking about "Acute altitude sickness" and it's effects, which is impossible at 4500 feet.

Will it affect her performance? yes.

But does she need to worry about altitude sickness, and arriving early to combat it? absolutely not.

Latent Runner

Agreed, virtually impossible for someone to suffer from altitude sickness at only 4,500' MSL, even if they're COPD (of couse such an individual will have plenty of other issues).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                            • 2-mile: 13:49
                            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                            • 5-Mile: 37:24
                            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Seal training?   Isn't there s guy here that does that?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

FWIW I grew up in Reno, lived there most of my life, then moved to coastal Maine, so now I live at essentially sea level. I've been back to Northern Nevada several times since I relocated (about 10 years ago now) and haven't experienced any altitude issues. I haven't raced on my trips back home, but I have run (and hiked up Mt. Rose) and it was fine.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.