Really off the beaten path... (Read 745 times)

Ok. Don't laugh- please be nice to me! But after talking to my friend, she seems to think there's something a person can do about this. We say "wishful thinking"! Say your employer says your current work site is being eliminated and the closest other work site is about 2 hrs away. You are either forced to drive that distance each way per day, or they've given you the option of transferring to 2 other locations many many hours away (not possible to drive in a day). You can't transfer (move) because you live in a state whose economy is rock bottom and the housing market, in turn, is even worse- you'd have to pay someone to buy your house and you don't have the money for that. You are stuck. You are forced to drive 2 hours each way per day. The employer argues you "chose" the 2 hr drive because you were given other options, even though you technically didn't have a choice- they don't care about that. If you choose to transfer, since they eliminated your work site, would they be under any obligation to buy your house up? Friend says this is done all the time. Maybe, but I'm thinking only because the companies are nice and they want to do it. Am I living in a cave or is she? There's no obligation here is there?

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I'd say they're trying to get her to quit rather than to fire her, so they don't have to pay any promised severance. They're under no obligation to do anything that's not specifically in the employment contract. did

I'd say they're trying to get her to quit rather than to fire her, so they don't have to pay any promised severance. They're under no obligation to do anything that's not specifically in the employment contract. did
        Yeah...the employment contract. Non unionized. Screwed. You nailed it about them not paying, but it's a little different than worries about severance. If they just said sorry, your job site has been moved 2 hrs away, they'd have to pay travel, meals, etc. If they offer other locations, though, they've technically given other options so it's the employee's "choice" to go to the location 2 hrs away and therefore they owe no expenses. They don't want to lose the employee, I'm sure of that. They just want them at the location 2 hrs away. This is their way of doing it expense free.

That's what it sounds like to me. They may not be actually trying to get her to quit, but they probably just don't care. She could approach them about the house, but I doubt it would happen.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Another Passion

I tend to think you're right Joni and, you're friend is screwed and, not in the sense they will be smiling over it.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

What kind of job is it? Can she do it remotely? did

What kind of job is it? Can she do it remotely? did
                Absolutely can do remotely per the employee's opinion; no doubt about it whatsoever. Never would be considered by the employer though. It's a supervisory position, but their job also entails public service, so this location 2 hrs away is in a more "public" place, which is what the employer wants. Just burns me that you can plan your life around a job you're dedicated to and love, have given over 20 years to, and then *poof* the employer rips you in half and doesn't give a darn. Happens all the time, I know.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

She should at least ask - working remotely at least a couple days a week would help her situation a lot. If they're got any sort of environmentally-friendly aspirations she could play that card, too. If they like her as much as it seems they do, they might go a little further to keep her happy. The economy won't be in the septic tank forever... did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The economy won't be in the septic tank forever... did
                    I hope not...I'd like to think that someday we could put our house on the market and we'd actually have a hope of selling it. Joni, (((hugs))) to your friend. That's a really awful spot to be in. MI kinda sucks right now. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Swadvad

How much leverage does your friend have? In other words, how badly does the employer want to keep her? My awesome wife is one of those folks who can do the job of 3 people. When she has quit certain jobs in the past, the employers have bent over backwards in an effort to keep her. Maybe your friend can remind her employer that buying and reselling her house is a lot cheaper than hiring and retraining someone else to fill her position. Afterall, she will most likely only drive 2 hours each way until she finds another job closer to home. The employer may be looking at the big picture and think that they can't afford to offer this option to everyone, but if she's important enough to the company, they might offer it to her and take a chance on replacing some other folks who are more "expendable." Just a thought. Crappy situation. Sorry for your friend. Sad
                        How much leverage does your friend have?
                        Not a lot. It would be a very bad thing to lose the employee, but this is an entity where logic doesn't rule. It doesn't matter if operations will be messed up or things won't function properly. It's a big organization where the position would eventually be filled anyway by some other body. The employee kicks butt and also can do the job of (currently) 2 people (filling in for one that's vacant due to a retirement) easily. One reason, I believe, they want them in the position 2 hrs away - they need someone who can handle it. But- if they lose the employee...oh well. Besides, it's almost retirement time for the employee, so there are no thoughts of quitting. They know the employee is stuck. Thanks for your thoughts. Life happens. It will hopefully work out!