Protecting Tender Parts (Read 608 times)

Hey folks, Great website. I found it about a month ago and have been using it every day to log my runs. Eric, thanks for a great website! Now, on to my question, although I'm a little embarrassed to ask it. I've been putting in about 5-7 miles, 4-6 times a week for about a month and a half. My problem is that my nips are raw! Ouch! I've tried band-aids, but the sweat just makes them fall off (the band-aids, that is). It's embarrassing because sometimes I'll bleed right through my shirt. I've been wearing cotton tank tops, which might be the problem, but it's all I have at the moment. Is there another type of shirt I should get to reduce the friction and protect my tender tatas? Any other solutions? Painfully Yours. Marc
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hi Marc, Welcome to the club. We're a bunch of regular (but awfully nice) folks with a running problem. We're quite easy going so don't be shy and jump into our lively conversations. Maybe you can write a haiku about your bleeding nip. That would be awesome! There is a tread in the health section that talked about this exact problem: http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=b04587a3fb4c4a81930327817ec06076 The first thing you can do is to switch over to technical shirts. When cotton shirts get wet, they then to cling to your body and cause chafing. Technical shirts keep you drier thus reducing rubbing, except when it's pouring out. The down side is they are quite expensive. I go for the no brand stuff (about $15 for shirts and shorts). Even though they might not work as well, but I doubt the $45 shirts are 3 times better. Now's probably the time to get your summer wardrobe as everything's on sale. If bandaids fall off, you can also try Body Glide, or something similar. It's a waxy substance that goes on like a deodorant and does wonders. Good luck!
      vicentefrijole

I heartily endorse everything Mile Collector just said! Cotton is not your friend (this is true for socks also)! In addition (and if you're not too hairy), you might try athletic tape -- that tough, waterproof tape that trainers use to tape splints to fingers, etc. It's strong and supposedly waterproof, but still pulls off easier than duct tape. I usually put a few pieces, crisscrossing, so that it is less likely to come off (though it does look a little creepy). Body Glide is great stuff (for other chafing areas too) but I find that on long/wet runs I need to tape 'em up! Good luck! Wink
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe you can write a haiku about your bleeding nip. That would be awesome!
          This marks the day that we were officially aware (without a doubt) that our fearless leader is certifiably nuts! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Maybe you can write a haiku about your bleeding nip.
            Blood drips down my chest my nipples, they weep red tears ouch little nip ouch Or maybe ... My wife points and laughs Where are the Band Aids? she asks Band Aids are my friend Or finally ... I asked for a date but - she said no because your nipples are real gross

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...crap, the insanity must be contagious! Eric is a nut Eek, it seems to be catching! Run, run for your lives!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hey folks, thanks for all the advice. I think I'll just start wearing a corsett or steal one of my wife's bras! Here's my haiku Red stains on my shirt Bloody nips, sore and tender Must run, numb the pain OnOn Marc