maybe time for a new Garmin (Read 286 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

My forerunner 610 is getting pretty long in the tooth. Still works, but is being held together by multiple pieces of tape and now with addition of nail polish, I'm thinking it might be time to go new again. Previously, I had a 301. I like the bright screen and larger numbers on the 610, especially as my presbyopia gets worse over the years. I was wondering when the next version of the 610/620 would be released, and just found out that I missed the fanfare of several new Garmins (vivofit, fenix, etc). Are these potential replacements for the 610? Anyone here tried them and found them good or bad? I guess if possible, I'd like the functions of the 610, but would be nice to have brighter bigger screen, thinner lighter watch, maybe water resistant too. The 620 looks nice, but I think it is older and maybe would be worth waiting for the 630 or whatever is next

jmctav23

2/3rds training

just picked up the fenix 2 as a replacement for my ailing FR410 for a good deal during REI's anniversary sale.  Definitely a great watch with a ton of features but also not thin but relatively light.  Certainly a bit bulky.  Check out the Suunto Ambit 2 R model.  It is a paired down version of the Ambit 2 geared specifically towards running.  Sleek with a nice big screen at a low cost now that the Ambit 3 has hit the market.  Unless of course you are dead set on Garmin.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I've been looking at the Fenix 2 and 3. Can you give some thoughts on em?

northernman

Fight The Future

I'm not committed to Garmin, it's just that I'm used to the operation and I like to have certain fields (like lap pace, and overall average pace) that were missing when I strayed to a different brand one time (can't remember, I think it was a Nike watch or something). Thanks for the suggestion of the Suunto - I'll try to find one in person to check it out. Could be a good time to make the trip to REI, where I have a rebate awaiting.

also looks like the Vivoactive is a pretty thin watch - anyone tried that one yet?

delicate flower

Are these potential replacements for the 610? Anyone here tried them and found them good or bad? 

I have had a 620 since December 2013.  Issues I have experienced with it, in no particular order:

• Crazy HR spikes that last for 10 minutes at the beginning of activities.  Throws off entire avg HR for the activity.
            • Low battery alert on HRM despite putting new batteries in and despite HR strap reset and device reset
            • HRM strap died a month ago.  To Garmin's credit, they sent me a new one and that fixed the previous two issues above.
            • Watch turning itself off and turning back on mid-run (fixed with firmware update)
            • Occasional crazy footpod readings on treadmill (3:00 pace that stays there...still happens on occasion)
            • Internal accelerator readings are way, way off
            • Running GPS, footpod, HRM, and Bluetooth all at once is a major battery suck...three hours, tops.
            • I know there are a couple of other things that I can't remember at the moment

As far as the basic GPS functionality goes, it works just fine (distance, pace, etc), but if that's all you need there are much cheaper options.  None of the things I listed above are really all that important, but I paid $450 for the device so it'd be nice if the functionality I paid for actually worked.  Some of the fancy running metrics the watch provides are fun to look at but really aren't necessary (avg vertical oscillation?), and I turned off the "Recovery Advisor" because it was annoying.

I do have nice things to say about it too:

• It locks into satellites impressively fast.  
            • Waterproof to 50m, which the 610 is not.  
            • They added a bike mode, which is cool since I ride. 
            • It's got a crapload of different data points you can display
            • Wireless upload to GarminConnect is nice...when it works
            • Live tracking online via Bluetooth is cool.  My friends had fun tracking me in a HM.  You do have to carry  a phone though.

I may have had problems because I was an early purchaser of the 620.  The device is pretty stable now after a number of firmware updates, knock on wood.  Of course now that it's stable, they'll probably release the 625 soon (I have not heard anything about the 620 successor).  Knowing the problems I've had in the past with the 620, I don't know if I'd buy another one now.  I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

<3

I have a Vivoactive, and all the above feedback regarding 620 applies to it fairly closely - and let me say it upfront, Vivoactive is not a running watch. Too small a font for the field labels (the actual data font is OK, haven't tried with only one or two fields per screen, and not sure how to do that) and barely visible while running, also fairly unreliable battery in default mode, had to turn off all notifications for the battery to last more than a day (only a couple of hours when using GPS).  Because of its thin profile, guess it makes a fine day to day watch and and a good enough fitness tracker and swim watch. Locks on to satellites very quickly, accelerometer works with decent precision and works well with Garmin Connect, but IMO is not a replacement for the 610.

northernman

Fight The Future

excellent feedback, thanks!

I have a Vivoactive, and all the above feedback regarding 620 applies to it fairly closely - and let me say it upfront, Vivoactive is not a running watch. Too small a font for the field labels (the actual data font is OK, haven't tried with only one or two fields per screen, and not sure how to do that) and barely visible while running, also fairly unreliable battery in default mode, had to turn off all notifications for the battery to last more than a day (only a couple of hours when using GPS).  Because of its thin profile, guess it makes a fine day to day watch and and a good enough fitness tracker and swim watch. Locks on to satellites very quickly, accelerometer works with decent precision and works well with Garmin Connect, but IMO is not a replacement for the 610.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

I've been using my Fenix 2 for about 2 weeks and haven't touched the three so I can't really compare.  So far I really like the 2 and I know I've barely scratched the surface of its' functionality.  Seven or 8 different modes with up to around 7 Data pages in each allows you to track just about every metric you can think of (and some you probably hadn't).

Some things that set it apart from a "regular" GPS watch:

-Ability to set and track to Waypoints.  Good if you do lots of trail running.  Record a waypoint for the trailhead, a water source, an important trail junction, etc.

-Magnetic Compass instead of a movement based one

- Barometric Altimeter.  Good for accurate elevation readings and changes in weather if you're in the mountains.

- Internal accelerometer tracks some weird stuff but also gives you cadence data without a footpod.

- Built by Garmin's "Outdoor" division instead of "Fitness" division...it's burly and tough without being heavy.

See more in depth reviews at dcrainmaker.com

I've been looking at the Fenix 2 and 3. Can you give some thoughts on em?

delicate flower

excellent feedback, thanks!

You're welcome.

<3

jopapgh

Not sure what Happyfeet's battery issues are, but I have not experienced any of them with the VivoActive. I can wear it for days, including GPS for runs or biking, without charging. I know there were issue early on, but the current firmware resolves them.

I was using a 610, but have not used it once since I got the VivoActive. I like the built in cadence and the data screen customization, similar to the 610. It is a nice form factor and I wear it 24 X 7.

Also take a look at the new 225 with heart rate built in?

Don't know about the features of the Garmin's you mentioned, BUT I do know you (just if case you don't) that you can trade your current Garmin in directly to Garmin for an upgrade and get some value for your old watch.

So call Garmin directly about their trade in program..

I found out about this a few months after I thru my old dilapidated 205 in the trash...the Garmin guy said I'd could have gotten $85 for it...

Champions are made when no one is watching

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

When I lost my old 305 during a move a few months ago I "upgraded" to a refurbed 305.  They are freaking rock solid and have just the features I want for a fourth of the price.

You people have issues 

AndyB.

I would look into the new Garmin Forerunner FR225.  The heart rate and cadence monitors being built in seem like a huge plus.

not lazy, just tired

I replaced my Fenix 2 with a Fenix 3.

• I think the 3 weighs about the same as the 2, roughly the same diameter and slightly narrower, but still a beefy watch (I'm a woman with small wrists). That being said, I wear it all the time and like it a lot.
                              • the 3 gets a satellite fix much faster than the 2 did.
                              • great battery life
                              • gets notifications from my phone
                              • tracks steps
                              • waterproof (as is the 2)
                              • think it has most of the running stuff the 620 has
                              • can be used for sports other than running

When I first got it, I had a few issues with it...

• stuck on vibrate and had to be rebooted
                              • would forget it was paired with my phone, and had to pair it again

Can't think of any other issues. Seems to get a decent GPS fix for me, even when running under trees. The issues that I did have were resolved with updates and haven't happened in a long time.

Not if it makes sense.

Don't know about the features of the Garmin's you mentioned, BUT I do know you (just if case you don't) that you can trade your current Garmin in directly to Garmin for an upgrade and get some value for your old watch.

So call Garmin directly about their trade in program..

I found out about this a few months after I thru my old dilapidated 205 in the trash...the Garmin guy said I'd could have gotten $85 for it...

Is this for real? Man, I wish I knew this. When my 210 died several months ago, I bought a new 220. I still have the 210, but too late to do anything about it now. Until I am ready for another new one when my 220 dies, but not sure if they accept 2 trade-ins at that point.

Anyway, I am very happy with the 220 so far. Display readability is improved vs. 210. You will lose a bit of functionality vs. 610/620; not sure how much you need, and not sure how important the touch screen is to you. By far the best improvement is how quickly it picks up a signal; it is virtually instantaneous. Which is a dream, because the 210 was pretty inconsistent in how long you'd have to wait; sometimes it would be quite a while. Also the USB connection reliability is significantly improved; the 210 clip connector is notoriously erratic. (Although I am still nervous about this happening to the 220, you never know about these things.) Important to me because I just upload the files manually to RA off the watch via USB. I don't use Garmin Communicator or Garmin Connect, and I have no Garmin account.

Dave