Attempting to talk the spouse into a race (Read 1093 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice. Is that RWOL?
    Yep, RW is the forum! The trail running bunch. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

It doesn't offend me. I remember a buddy of mine showing me a brochure about traveling in Grizzly Bear country out west. If a grizzly bear charges you don't run. You should stand your ground because he might just be trying to scare you. Running only encourages him to think you might be a tasty morsel.
      YEP Movement only gets their attention. I took a Griz course while stationed in Montana. One guest speaker was saying how he came around a bend and walked smack into a griz. Knocked him down. The girz took off running like hell back the way he came. Then skidded to a stop, looked back at the guy, like "Why am I running" Then promptly charged him. He figured he had no place to run so stood his ground. The griz stopped about 10 ft away looked at him, brought his head up and marched off down the trail. He swore the bear did it just to save face. And I believe him.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Coincidently (very funny story by the way) - I was doing some running research online yesterday and I came across some information that made me stop and exclaim 'WTF - why would any runner need that!' I obviously hadn't factored in you. Polar Bear Poop Prevention Strategies Bear Poop Prevention Strategies Claire xxx
        The collage course I took in Montana had a classes on the subject such as you linked. The big thing was "bear bells" you attach bells to your pack so you jingle as you walk. The Park Service had another name for them.................... Dinner Bells!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire