Emergency Hammy Help (and vote) (Read 829 times)

mw0031

I am trying to get a realistic (if not optimistic) perspective about my hamstring. Here is the short story: I am 40 years old and I am (or was) trying to qualify for Boston in five days. Yesterday, I was doing a really easy "just to keep the cobwebs away" 4 miler, and about 1 mile in, just as my right foot hit the pavement, I felt a little "twing" just to the left and behind my right knee. No better word to describe it really. It wasn't a "pop," or "bang," or "snap." It was noticable, though, and it hurt right away, such that I had to pull up. I pretty much am a believer that I can run through any kind of pain, but I could not run through this. The funny thing is that it did not (and still does not) hurt to walk, to extend my knee, or to resist pressure when bending my knee. However, I did find a very tender spot, about two inches above my outer knee on the hamstring. From looking at hamstring anatomy online, it looks like the biceps femoris hamstring, just before it enters the tendon. Anyway, I have been icing, resting, compressing, and elevating while I have been bumming mightily that I will not be able to run on Sunday. Interestingly, in almost 30 years of running, I have never had a hamstring injury before; so, I have little anecdotal experience to draw on. So, that's why I am asking anyone who wants to toss in their 2 cents: Should I bag it? Should I run it? Does anyone have any miracle cures? All feedback is appreciated.
      I had the exact same thing happen to me last year, I pulled my left hamstring in a tuneup 8k a week before the marathon. I ran the Marathon anyway, trying to qualify. I ended up repulling my bad hamstring AND pulling my right hamstring! Lets just say that the backs of both my legs were black and blue and I ended up in physical therapy for three weeks. Tongue
      mw0031

But did you qualify? Just kidding. How badly was your hamstring injured when you ran, and did you feel ok the morning of the race? I've got no brusing, heat, nor obvious swellling. Though there is still point pain when I press on it. I am just going to keep icing and compressing and resting until Thursday and re-assess.

SMART Approach

MW Go to a gym and test your strength of good hammy vs. bad hammy on a leg curl machine (do one leg at a time)with moderate weight ~15 reps. If there is a pretty big difference in strength, then I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Go Pre!

There will be other races, more chances. 5 days is short for a hammie pull to recover. That said, don't run until Sunday, alternate ice/heat until then and start the race slow, then speed up and for the best BUT stop after a couple of miles if it seems ineveitable that there will be trouble if you go further. Hopefully a real doctor will swing by here soon and offer proper advice though... Wink
            mw0031

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to have to try it out before Sunday, though, because I have a flight, hotel, etc. involved in the deal. I will probably take a little test jog Friday morning and decide based on that. Keep posting any advice you all might have.
                But did you qualify? Just kidding. How badly was your hamstring injured when you ran, and did you feel ok the morning of the race? I've got no brusing, heat, nor obvious swellling. Though there is still point pain when I press on it. I am just going to keep icing and compressing and resting until Thursday and re-assess.
                I did finish it. I felt ok the morning of the race, as I had rested and not run for the entire week prior. It flared up about 2 miles into it, but I was able to run through it and it loosened. Then I think I was compensating alot because my uninjured right hamstring cramped up at mile 5! Anyway, it didnt hurt to run slower so I just jogged the rest of the race after that. Managed to finish in 3:40.
                Timbodeener

I had the same thing happen to me a week before the 10-mile cherry blossom race back in early April...granted a 10-miler is not a marathon but I was able to run the entire race without any issues with my hammy. I did some gentle stretching and massaged the hell out of my hammy with a foam roller and the stick for the few days leading up to the race....seemed to help a lot. I concentrated on the tender spot and tried to massage it as deeply as I could stand. I was fine after the race for a few weeks but then had the same problem hit me again a few weeks ago. It was sore for a few days but I did the same gentle stretching and massaging (along with icing) and it is OK again (my knee on the other hand has been killing me) Angry Good luck with it....
                  mw0031

Post-Race Update: I am an idiot. As it turns out, running with an injured hamstring is not an altogether bright thing to do. It was a miserable, not fun, worthless waste of a lot of money, and it will set me back at least a month while I really try to heal it. Also, as predicted by some other posters, I was so forced to favor my left leg (especially after my right hamstring went "POP" 11 miles in), that now my left calf and achilles are very painful. Oh, and I missed my finish time by more than an hour. Other than that, the race was oodles of fun. Thanks for all of the advice (that I ignored). It was a learning experience.

Go Pre!

Post-Race Update: I am an idiot. As it turns out, running with an injured hamstring is not an altogether bright thing to do. It was a miserable, not fun, worthless waste of a lot of money, and it will set me back at least a month while I really try to heal it. Also, as predicted by some other posters, I was so forced to favor my left leg (especially after my right hamstring went "POP" 11 miles in), that now my left calf and achilles are very painful. Oh, and I missed my finish time by more than an hour. Other than that, the race was oodles of fun. Thanks for all of the advice (that I ignored). It was a learning experience.
                      Sorry to hear. We all have our own little voices that we prefer to listen to over the advice of others Smile Get well.