September "Virtual" race coming up! (Read 932 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, all! Time to sign up for September's Virtual 5k/5Mile race! Since it's a holiday weekend, the run dates are from Friday Sept. 1st - Mon Sept. 4th. Pick a local 5K or 5 mile race and run in it, or mark out your own course and run in it. Then, report your time by Sept 5th on the results form I'll link in a few days. There are no fancy rules or door prizes this time, but I would encourage you all to think about what your current running goals are... specifically for next month. What are your goals for September? Don't say it right now, but think about it. I'll be putting a slot on the results form where you can put in your goals. I'm going to make a small webpage for anyone who finishes this month's race. It'll have your runningAHEAD name, your first name if it's on your runningAHEAD "about me" page, your runningAHEAD photo from the "about me" page, any previous "virtual" race results you submitted, your current time submitted, and what you say your running goals for the next month are. I'll link these pages to your name on the results page, so as people look through the results they can learn more about the people they are running with. Since we have some of the same people coming back from month to month here, my plan is to make one for all of our runners and to update them each time you finish a race. LOL! Perhaps when Eric runs out of ideas, projects and tweaks for this website he'll want to include this. But for now, I'll keep these over on my geocities site. Since this project will take me some time, I would ask that you not sign up for the race unless you think there's a good chance of you being able to finish it and submit a time. I want to make something nice for everyone who's racing together here. If this works out well and people like it, I'll just keep adding new people with each new race. So... 1) Make sure you have a picture and a name uploaded onto your "about me" page if you want that to show up on the results page I'm making. (oh yeah... it'll have to be publically viewable too, sorry!) 2) Think about what your running goals for this next month are. 3) Get out there and run your best! 4) Report your times on the results form by Sept 5th. See you at the races! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

People currently signed up for the race: (this will be updated as people sign up) Wingz backroadrunner Mile Collector bas Hawk Runner Spideog ttmalek Fat Man Running zoom-zoom (against her wishes)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Here's a sample of what I was talking about: http://www.geocities.com/yanelh/wingz.html

Make if for the entire month. I ahve my very first actual 5K 23 Sept and would like to post it. Not that my time will be that good

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Gregg! Perhaps you could use that time with October's race? I've been trying to do one on the first weekend of every month. I hadn't thought about making the whole month the time period. Hmm. What do other people think?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd kind of like to be able to choose a run from any time in maybe a 1-2 week period, as I tend to do my speedwork or tempo runs mid-week and long runs on the weekends. So maybe making a longer window for eligible runs would be a good thing. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Doesn't matter to me. I'm in for Sept race though. I'll run anytime. I'm in for the 5Mi this month I think. I'm running in a 10mi race in a couple of weeks w/ Kirsten & I've been a lazy ass!! Need to step up the pace a bit! (Disregard my log right now, hasn't been updated since before vacation. I'm going to do it, as soon as I'm done studying for an Anatomy & Physiology test...)
                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Okay... so far we have 2 "yes" and one "maybe" for changing format to a month-long window. Anybody else want to get their opinions in?

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Sign me up for the 5 miler. I'll probably be doing one of those run/walk things until my PT gives me the OK so I don't have to run behind her back.
                      Sign me up for the 5 miler. I'll probably be doing one of those run/walk things until my PT gives me the OK so I don't have to run behind her back.
                      Sadly enough, he's going to walk/run & probably still kick our butt's!!!!
                      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Sadly enough, he's going to walk/run & probably still kick our butt's!!!!
                        You're giving me too much credit Big grin
                        bas

Hi, Sign me up for the 5K! Bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

bas

Okay... so far we have 2 "yes" and one "maybe" for changing format to a month-long window. Anybody else want to get their opinions in?
                            I think it's more fun to keep the 'virtual race' limited to the weekend as you do now. That way you really get the feeling that everyone is participating in the same event. When you get more time it is just like you pick a convenient result from your running log and send it. In other words: Be there or be square! Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

I agree with bas--keep it limited to a week end.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Wingz

Professional Noob

The "Virtual" race was designed to try to give us a chance to do something together. In that spirit, I would encourage everybody to try to participate during the designated weekend. If, however, you are unable to race on the designated weekend, I would rather see an earlier time get submitted than have someone not participate. Sad The first full weekend in every month (must have both a Saturday and a Sunday) will still be the designated "race" weekend. Try to submit a time you ran that weekend. If you didn't run at least 5K that weekend or couldn't get your 5 mile or 5K split from a longer run, simply submit another time. I'm not going to be looking over anyone's shoulder here - it's all on the honor system anyway! The period to submit your times will remain the designated weekend plus one day, so that I can continue to get the results out ASAP after "race" weekend. There has to be some deadline, so it might as well be then. Gregg and Kirsten, just put in the closest time you have to that date if you don't run that weekend. I don't think anybody's going to give you a hard time if you ran a different week. If they do, let me know and as race director I'll personally boot them out of the race, okay? Smile