"I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes?" (Read 412 times)

kcam

I like, and wear, these shoes for work, actually the ones I have are the non lace-up version - the Moloa.  They're wide in the forefoot, low heel-toe drop (yeah, I said it about non-running shoes) and really comfortable.  You can get them at REI.

http://www.olukai.com/Product_Featured_%27Ohana%20Lace-Up%20Nubuck_10171-4042.aspx

Token Fat Guy

I often wear a pair of Brooks Green Silence I picked up in brown/grey.  It is a pretty relaxed work environment, but with jeans or cargos they don't look too out of place.

5K - 29:29 10K - 1:07:52 13.1 - 2:28:36

DentingPavement.com

Looking for a pair of lace-up shoes to wear at work (office environment), a soft shoe, low heel.

Basically, as close to a running shoe as possible, all black.  In the best case scenario, I get away with wearing sneakers at work.

I used to wear these, but they are now up from 75 bucks to 135 bucks.  I am not sure they are that is the best value.

Are you looking for a low heel-drop shoe (minimalist dress shoes?) or just something very comfy and law-office-appropriate?  If the latter, I can recommend:

• Ecco Helsinki bicycle toe (pretend you're a triathlete and they're relevant).  Very comfortable, wears like iron.
        • You might also visit your local Johnston & Murphy shop.
        • If you want o go big, try the Brooks Brothers Peal & Co. collection.
        • My ex-boss has ~6 pairs of Allen Edmonds and raves about them.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks very much for all the recommendations, everyone.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Late to the party, but Vivobarefoot has some dress-ish shoes.  They are pricey, too, though. The Ra is one of the best looking minimal, casual dress shoes I've seen.

Vivobarefoot stuff is pretty bomb proof.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

BJ Moose

Running Over the Hill

in the opinion of this minimalist/barefoot runner, these are easily the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. No rubbing, no overheating, and I (almost) don't immediately strip down to barefoot upon returning home.

As an added bonus, one doesn't get "the look" one might by going into work in dress black KSOs. Wink

MrH

I used to have a pair of Rockport Oxford Wingtips (I think) ... that they claimed you could run in (not that I'd seriously suggest that). Very comfy.

Look professional for most situations but may be in the price range you said that you wanted to avoid.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Best Present Ever

My husband wears black Keen oxfords (http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/service/ptc%20dress%20oxford/black) to work.  He says he only wears them to court if it's raining.  I don't really understand why rain means lower standards just because he has to walk 2 blocks or why he can't wear his wingtips in the rain.  I think the Keens look goofy with a suit.  They are comfy though.

Jocrowe91

I can say, almost with 100% certainty, that you would love these Rockport Prowalkers. They feature the Adidas Adiprene cushion technology and feel just like a sneaker with the dress shoe look.

Jocrowe91

My husband wears black Keen oxfords (http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/service/ptc%20dress%20oxford/black) to work.  He says he only wears them to court if it's raining.  I don't really understand why rain means lower standards just because he has to walk 2 blocks or why he can't wear his wingtips in the rain.  I think the Keens look goofy with a suit.  They are comfy though.

Aside from my post above, you cannot beat a Keen. So try these ^^^^ first, then try the Rockports :P

Half Fanatic #846

in the opinion of this minimalist/barefoot runner, these are easily the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. No rubbing, no overheating, and I (almost) don't immediately strip down to barefoot upon returning home.

+1.

I have a pair of the very similar Lemings model (minimalist with zero heel drop, I think) in black that I've worn every day at work for almost 2 years, where black athletic style shoes are required, and I can attest to the durability of the soles.  However, DO NOT dry them in the dryer! Roll eyes

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Hoodoo Guru

Whatever shoe you choose, pull the insoles out of an old pair of running shoes and drop them in the new shoes.  Makes a huge difference in my dress shoes.

The tangents are moot.

Whatever shoe you choose, pull the insoles out of an old pair of running shoes and drop them in the new shoes.  Makes a huge difference in my dress shoes.

[smacks head]. Duh! Thanks, Dallas.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the great suggestions.

+1 on Rockport. the sole is amazingly soft. Rather pricey but worth it I think.

I used to have a pair of Rockport Oxford Wingtips (I think) ... that they claimed you could run in (not that I'd seriously suggest that). Very comfy.

Look professional for most situations but may be in the price range you said that you wanted to avoid.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Looking for a pair of lace-up shoes to wear at work (office environment), a soft shoe, low heel.

Basically, as close to a running shoe as possible, all black.  In the best case scenario, I get away with wearing sneakers at work.

I used to wear these, but they are now up from 75 bucks to 135 bucks.  I am not sure they are that is the best value.

I just came across these.  Look decent.