Please tell me I'm crazy... (Read 1051 times)

I signed up for the Healthy Kidney 10K at Central Park in NYC and just now read the info on the race. Tell me if you notice anything weird about this. Maybe I'm missing something but... well... you decide. it is sponsored by the United Arab Emirates. http://www.nyrr.org/races/2008/kidney/raceinfo.asp

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

Fine. You're crazy.
      obiebyke

That HAS to be a joke, right? "You can run in immodest clothing, but don't expect a cash prize for it." Oh man.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Not that I plan to win a cash prize or anything but it's still a bit weird.

JakeKnight

Where does it say that?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Fine. You're crazy.
              Hardy har har!

I too will be running this race (it will be my first 10K). I found this on the "pledge" page: The United Arab Emirates Embassy is the primary sponsor of the Healthy Kidney 10K to benefit the National Kidney Foundation, Inc., in appreciation of American doctors and U.S. excellence in the kidney transplant arena. Former UAE president Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al-Nahyan benefited from U.S. expertise, knowledge, and research, when he received a kidney transplant in 2000. Among his many honors and accomplishments, he was most proud of being a kidney transplant survivor.
                obiebyke

Where does it say that?
                  From the website: " Professional male runners from around the world will join thousands of male and female entrants to support the fight against kidney disease. Excellent giveaways, a generous prize purse for men, and cash awards for the top NYRR member finishers add excitement to this annual 10K." I gave it my own interpretation, JK. You got me. Wink

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

~Gordo~

Perhaps they assume that the women running the race already have "purses"?!?!
                    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                      There are prize money for both male and female see link; http://www.nyrr.org/races/procedures/prizemoney.asp Prize Money New York Road Runners offers more than $100,000 in member and open prize money annually. To qualify for member prize money and time bonuses, an individual must be a New York Road Runners member for at least three months prior to the race date. There is no membership requirement for open prize money and time bonuses. Unless otherwise noted, runners with multiple eligibility for open, member, masters, and 50+ categories will be awarded the highest prize amount only. If you win prize money in a race, please e-mail NYRR your Social Security number. Checks are mailed four to six weeks after a race. January 27: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: ManhattanNYRR member prize money for men and women

Double IPA Please!

There are prize money for both male and female see link; http://www.nyrr.org/races/procedures/prizemoney.asp Prize Money New York Road Runners offers more than $100,000 in member and open prize money annually. To qualify for member prize money and time bonuses, an individual must be a New York Road Runners member for at least three months prior to the race date. There is no membership requirement for open prize money and time bonuses. Unless otherwise noted, runners with multiple eligibility for open, member, masters, and 50+ categories will be awarded the highest prize amount only. If you win prize money in a race, please e-mail NYRR your Social Security number. Checks are mailed four to six weeks after a race. January 27: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: ManhattanNYRR member prize money for men and women
                        Wait, they want someone email their SS#?? Wha? In order to get their prize money check?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

#artbydmcbride

So there will be prize money for professional MEN runners and also cash awards for male and female top NYRR members?

Runners run

JakeKnight

I gave it my own interpretation, JK. You got me. Wink
                            I kept trying to find that quote and was pretty sure I was going blind or illiterate. The actual quote is indeed strange enough. I don't get it. I also don't get about sending your SSN# to get your prize money. All very, very strange. Those of you running it will have to let us know what the deal is.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

FastTalkingFatty

From the website: " Professional male runners from around the world will join thousands of male and female entrants to support the fight against kidney disease.
                              So no professional women are going/allowed to run?

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

A Saucy Wench

So no professional women are going/allowed to run?
                                From the wording in both places it sounds like an elite level prize is being offerred for men...enough to draw some professional men (plus appearance fees?), but only "club level" prizes for NYRR male/female division prizes. They dont have a purse for the fastest overall woman that is big enough to draw a professional female runner. Thats my guess. They didnt pay appearance fees for any women. so there arent likely to be any.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7