Runner's World Magazine: How did you rebound from your worst race? (Read 228 times)

lagwagon

beer.

ZZCaptainObvious

Ran faster the next week. Mentally, I figured out what went wrong (and it's usually pretty obvious: didn't eat dinner the night before, walked for three hours the night before and didn't sleep well, was sick and hadn't actually completed 3 miles without needing a bathroom stop since Monday for a Saturday race, and went out way too hard at the start of the race.) I tend to race often enough that I don't have time to let a bad race get to me.

For the race that I hated the most, I took the next week off and actually recovered from the norovirus. By the way, don't get the norovirus, it's awful.

Julia1971

That is too funny, but don't tell me you actually have the paper issue from 1997!  I found the abstract, but it doesn't contain all the details you referenced...

Saving whole issues would be normal, so no.  I used to tear out articles that I thought were really good and put them in a binder.  (I have lots of binders in my house.  I'm the Mitt Romney of self improvement).  Anyway, as I became a better runner, I threw more and more of them away.  I think I'm going to go through that binder and throw more of them out.  But, that one was a keeper, I think.

Anonymous Guest

I started paying attention to what I ate and lost 30 pounds. Which made me much faster.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Saving whole issues would be normal, so no.  I used to tear out articles that I thought were really good and put them in a binder.  (I have lots of binders in my house.  I'm the Mitt Romney of self improvement).  

Ok, that was funny.

My answer. I waited 5 years, trained my ass off, including 4 months of 60 plus miles a week and went out and bombed my next marathon thereby leaving my worst race as my still worst race and creating a second worst race that I am still obsessing over 7 months later. Damn.

I need to declutter.  I still have whole issues from at least 96, maybe a year two or earlier, maybe even some of dad's issues from a decade earlier, but only the marathon articles, 'cause anything shorter sucks.

Get off my porch

Not dead. Yet.

Saving whole issues would be normal, so no.  I used to tear out articles that I thought were really good and put them in a binder.  (I have lots of binders in my house.  I'm the Mitt Romney of self improvement).  Anyway, as I became a better runner, I threw more and more of them away.  I think I'm going to go through that binder and throw more of them out.  But, that one was a keeper, I think.

LOL!  You are the real thing, Julia.  ;-)

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

BeeRunB

Dealt with it like a sane human being. It's only a race. I let it go by the time I got to the bananas. Now, if there had been no bananas, I would have been angry for weeks.

xhristopher

I'm still picking chia seeds from my teeth.

JLongRC

Heavy  HEAVY rationalization.  Would've had a faster time if it was cooler. (Bored the tears out of everyone in earshot with rants about the weather.)

Then I bored me.

Then back to training.  I have a marathon to run in November.

LOL I'm pretty sure the weather has caused every disappointing run and/or race of my life.

My best runs? That was all me, though Big grin

Ok, I just have to say that "the mitt Romney of self improvement" just made my morning.

as for the bad race: my tactic has always been to immediately, mindlessly start training harder and get injured as a result. Fantastic!

joescott

I decided to try myself at the USATF Master's National Outdoor Championships last month since it was right here in my hometown and when I looked up times I thought I could at least finish respectably.  The wheels fell completely off.  I missed my 1500m race altogether by being stupid, then my mojo was all drained out and I ran one of my slowest 5k's of the last 3-4 years.  Not going to bore everyone with all the gory details.  Still rebounding.  Afterwards, I took about a week off, probably drank too much beer and ate too much ice cream, and then decided to start on a new non-race-specific training plan aimed at hopefully shoring up any weaknesses I have as a runner and trying once again to find my "limits" before my times start to slide (at my dinosaurian age as a runner) permanently.  But I won't set any "target" races for quite some time, I can tell you that.  Right now I just want to see about getting generally better, if possible, and maybe show up at races from time to time to see what I might have.  Still rebounding.  Oh, and I'll embarrass myself further publicly by admitting that when I missed my 1500 I threw stuff and used language I normally don't and generally made a fool of myself in front of lots of strangers and, more importantly, in front of my two oldest sons who probably didn't need that kind of example.  Yeah.  Pretty much that day (and weekend) was an epic fail on every level from running to fatherhood to faith.  Still rebounding.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

delicate flower

I rebound like Rodman, yo.

<3

aponi

never runs the tangents

drank heavily and wallowed in self pity

that works for all kinds of "worsts" though

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

running metalhead

How did I rebound? Well, doing "boing-boing-boing" Big grin

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)