How do you measure your rest HR in the morning? (Read 675 times)

There are free apps for android and iphones that use the flash and camera to measure your HR. It is accurate. I use Heart Rate on my iphone

There are free apps for android and iphones that use the flash and camera to measure your HR. It is accurate. I use Heart Rate on my iphone

This is what I do.  If you don't trust that these apps are accurate, feel for your pulse at the same time.  You'll see the app will match beat for beat what you feel.  It's pretty amazing to see how accurate it is.

The only thing I might doubt is the math, but assume if someone is smart enough to write an app, they can do the math correctly to multiply out the time measured to get BPM?

RandomRun

Well, if you can feel your pulse and you own a watch, why not just do it that way?  I don't see how any app or machine would be more accurate than just counting the beats yourself. Am I missing something?

Well, if you can feel your pulse and you own a watch, why not just do it that way?  I don't see how any app or machine would be more accurate than just counting the beats yourself. Am I missing something?

It depends on how accurate one wants to be.  When I first started doing it I noticed that the act of raising my arm to take the pulse on my other wrist was enough to raise my heart rate a beat or two.  That is one reason I use the "while asleep" methodology.

xor

A beat or two may not mean much.  Anyway, yall do it however you feel most comfortable.

I wish there was an easy way to monitor blood pressure.  I now have to do that... which either means buying a big gizmo or trucking up to the bartells and using the old people machine.  Which is what I am doing.

A beat or two may not mean much.  Anyway, yall do it however you feel most comfortable.

I wish there was an easy way to monitor blood pressure.  I now have to do that... which either means buying a big gizmo or trucking up to the bartells and using the old people machine.  Which is what I am doing.

I have a blood pressure monitor.  I check and record it every morning.   I don't know that it is a "big gizmo" though.  It is fairly small.

xor

:-D

Fair enough.  I really just meant "another piece of technology that I probably have to purchase".  I have more than one degree in computer science and made my bones in the software development industry... and I really dislike technology sometimes.  Go figure.

I wanna say the pledge of allegiance, count for 10 seconds, and know my blood pressure!

It's just convenient.  You don't have to do any math, or count seconds.  Plus the app auto logs the results.  I'd be more likely to botch counting heart beats for 10 seconds or reciting the pledge of allegiance than pressing my finger on my phone's camera lens.

:-D

Fair enough.  I really just meant "another piece of technology that I probably have to purchase".  I have more than one degree in computer science and made my bones in the software development industry... and I really dislike technology sometimes.  Go figure.

I wanna say the pledge of allegiance, count for 10 seconds, and know my blood pressure!

I'm another software person.  Undergrad in math and MS in math/comp sci.  It is probably overkill that I check my BP anyway.

xor

It's just convenient.  You don't have to do any math, or count seconds.  Plus the app auto logs the results.  I'd be more likely to botch counting heart beats for 10 seconds or reciting the pledge of allegiance than pressing my finger on my phone's camera lens.

Ok, ok.  In fairness to meself.... one does not recite the pledge of allegiance.  One puts one's hand over one's heart (or wrist, or neck, or whatever) and either counts for 6 seconds or 10 seconds.  And then multiplies... by 10 or 6.  The thing is, one then has to record it somewhere.  Or smile smugly and fall back asleep.

Kind of gets to how I used to treat the running log here.  Didn't use it.  "I log my stuff in a notebook; it's great!", I said.  And I did for years and years.  Then one day, I started using the log here out of boredom.  And it changed my (running) life, no bullshit.  It is awesome and I can't imagine not using it.

The same may or may not be true for a technology gizmodo that measures my heartrate.

I freely admit I'm a gizmo/data nerd.  (says the guy who will run a couple laps around the parking lot to get a full 20 miles on the Garmin)

Walk-Jogger

I freely admit I'm a gizmo/data nerd.  (says the guy who will run a couple laps around the parking lot to get a full 20 miles on the Garmin)

??

Are there actually any runners here who would NOT do that?

I check my pulse in the early morning, after getting up, sitting quietly on the couch while watching the weather report on the TV. I need the TV as a light source so I can see my watch, since it's so dark this time of year. I'm going to go shopping for one of those "pulse oximeter's" today however, because that looks like a neat little gadget, and I get tired of sitting around counting my pulse and then forget to pay attention to the weather report. Also I frequently check my pulse in bed at night since I spend a lot of time at night in bed but not asleep and there isn't much else to do, and having one of those dealybob's on the night stand beside me seems like it would  be more convenient than squinting and trying to see the LED alarm clock without my glasses on.

Retired &  Loving It

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ok, ok.  In fairness to meself.... one does not recite the pledge of allegiance.  One puts one's hand over one's heart (or wrist, or neck, or whatever) and either counts for 6 seconds or 10 seconds.  And then multiplies... by 10 or 6.  The thing is, one then has to record it somewhere.  Or smile smugly and fall back asleep.

Kind of gets to how I used to treat the running log here.  Didn't use it.  "I log my stuff in a notebook; it's great!", I said.  And I did for years and years.  Then one day, I started using the log here out of boredom.  And it changed my (running) life, no bullshit.  It is awesome and I can't imagine not using it.

The same may or may not be true for a technology gizmodo that measures my heartrate.

I guess my patience beats my ability to multiply in my morning grogginess. I time it for 15 seconds.

sugnim

Stupid question:  Why would you want to measure your rest HR in the morning?

(Commence throwing tomatoes now.)

zonykel

Stupid question:  Why would you want to measure your rest HR in the morning?

1. Your rest HR should go down as you become fitter. That means your heart is becoming more efficient, since every pulse delivers more blood than when you were less fit.

2. Once your rest HR stabilizes (bottoms out), then increases in your rest HR can serve as an indicator for overtraining or illness. I think an increase in 5 bpm means you need to take it easy with your training that day.