can I import existing maps from http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ (Read 1480 times)

First off, neat tool. Second, I've been doing my own logging using a wiki and gmap-pedometer. I'd like to move my info over to here, but it looks like I'll have to manually recreate each map. I know other run logging sites with less functionality will import maps from that site, so I think that I'm missing something. Am I? Thank you very much.
    eric :)

dabraham, Right now, there's no import functionality for gmap-pedometer. I might consider adding it if there's a demand for it. How many maps do you have? eric Smile
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Import from .kml or other polyline formats would be great. GPS import among them... Big grin
          personally I've got 20-30 (yes, I run the same things over & over). It's certainly not worth it if I'm the only one... Thank you anyway.
          Mimir

I can imagine that a lot of new users have the same question. I do too. But most people will search for it, eventually search in help, FAQ or forum and then give up and forget your site. I almost will do too. I have mapped 36 runs in www.mapmyrun.com. I can export thes runs in .kml. So an importfunction for .kml would be great. But all I read on this site is that it is difficult, too little demand etcetera. Do you want more users? Than I suggest you create an importfunction. Laura (the Netherlands)

Hi Laura, Comparatively, this is a small site. However, it probably has the most active feature request and support forums of any similar sites. One of the reasons is I try to make myself accessible to everyone and I hope they feel that they will be heard and in most cases, responded to promptly. I get requests for features almost on a daily basis. I don't use many of the features that I add to the site, but I still spend countless hours working on them because they are what the users want. Since I'm the only one working on it most of the time, I needed a way to prioritize them. One fair way is to sort by demand. If there are enough people wanting a certain feature then it gets bumped up on my todos because it will benefit more people. Right now, I'm devoting most of my attention to GPS import. I'm sure there are folks that want to view the maps using Google Earth, but the GPS import has far greater demand than any other feature. I've been tearing my hair out the last couple of months while working on various components of this project. Good thing that I have an abundance of hair Smile While it would be nice to have more users, my focus is on my existing users. They are the ones that made this site special and so they deserve all my attention. I believe that if I keep the current users happy, they will help me get more users. Long story short, I'm doing the best that I can to maintain the site short of quitting my day job. I will get to all the requests eventually. I hope you understand. eric Smile
              Mimir

Eric, I can only applaud! What a great job you are doing. As I told I am trying Mapmyrun.com at this moment but I'm not too happy about it. I assumed your site was also a commercial site because it looked so very good. I can imagine that you cannot do everything at once. I will try out your site (I love the graphs) and hope to be much longer here, one more time: big compliments! Don't ever underestimate yourself, I do not see any reason Smile. Laura
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I assumed your site was also a commercial site because it looked so very good.
                  So true! Eric's the hardest working volunteer on the Net. Even if he did sell ad space I'd still be slipping him a little cash from time to time in thanks for such a fanstastic resource! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I just wanted to say that this site rocks and is awesome. Eric you are doing a great job. Please put me down as one of those who would like importing ability for KML as I use the garmin and would like to import the information I do from motionbased. I love being able to see the map and elevation right below it that this site does and would kill to import my garmin runs and see this as well. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Please make this your next project.
                      2011 Goals:
                      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

I just wanted to say that this site rocks and is awesome. Eric you are doing a great job. Please put me down as one of those who would like importing ability for KML as I use the garmin and would like to import the information I do from motionbased. I love being able to see the map and elevation right below it that this site does and would kill to import my garmin runs and see this as well. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Please make this your next project.
                      This is my current project. I've been hacking at it for the last couple of months. I'm still working on the client component right now. Most of the hard stuff is done. It's now a matter of putting all the pieces together to make a complete product.