Tights (Read 162 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Is the main point of wearing tights protection from chafing, and maybe as a base layer in cold conditions?  Or is there some other benefit?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Don't know but it does generate great ads.

Get off my porch

Slo

I have base layer tights, tights and running pants.

I wear the tights pretty much for racing only to spare the general public from the MAMIL. (middle aged man in lycra) On very cold days lke today (-9) I wear the base layer tights under the running pants. (Running pants are skinny ankled light weight, form fitting cross between sweat pants and tights)

The tights are much easier to run in...chaffing has never been a consideration.

mikeymike

Is this a trick question? I wear tights to keep warm when it's effing cold outside. That's the main benefit.

Runners run

Is this a trick question? I wear tights to keep warm when it's effing cold outside. That's the main benefit.

Me, too.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'll never forget the conversation I had with my daughter the first time she saw me in running tights. "You going out dressed like that?" "Yep." "Put on some pants."

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Nope, not a trick question.  Sounds like the answer to my first question is "yes" and the answer to the second is "no."

Thanks, everyone!  Just wondering if there was something I was missing.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

an amazing likeness

Thanks, everyone!  Just wondering if there was something I was missing.

For me, tights are simply a layer in dressing for the weather...I go to with tights maybe 6 - 10 times a year when temps are near or below 0F. They do also seem to help with a compression effect on hamstrings before the legs warm up on cold days.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

degregorius

Is the main point of wearing tights protection from chafing, and maybe as a base layer in cold conditions?  Or is there some other benefit?

My questions for you is: What is the coldest weather you've run in, and what did you wear?

Me? I wear tights when it's below 32 F

xhristopher

Strange ads on this page.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Cuz they make me feel pert-y. 

Other than that - 10 miles+ in sub freezing temps makes for dang cold thighs. I just got a pair of Gore tights with Windstopper fabric. Still look pert-y in them but with much warmer legs when the wind is out. I'm loving them so far. Best I've owned.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

When it is cold (below freezing) I hardly ever wear pants except for warming up/cooling down. Tights are just warmer and more comfortable than pants that, inevitably, allow some cold airflow, and potentially allow some odd rubbing/chaffing and bunching. Sounds great, eh? I've also found that wet tights are more bearable than wet pants, in case I'm running through puddles or in mixed precipitation.

For chaffing in and around the (ahem) uniquely gendered parts of my anatomy, I wear compression shorts. They keep things down and prevent the rubbing.

I wear Nike Combat compression shorts and Nike Combat tights (the tights are much warmer than other tights I've worn - not sure if they are specially graded for colder temps or not. I just know that they are warm). I also have some black Brooks tights with a yellow stripe/swoosh up the side. I only wear those when I'm feeling particularly bad-ass. Which is not that often.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My questions for you is: What is the coldest weather you've run in, and what did you wear?

Me? I wear tights when it's below 32 F

I guess I've run in the upper teens (F), either due to the wind chill or real temps.  Starting at about the lower 20's, I'll usually throw on my favorite Asics "Thermopolis" running pants.  Between mid 20's and freezing, I seem to be okay just wearing my ExOfficio Briefs under my lined running shorts.  Once I get running, I'm good from the waist down in the shorts.  It's when I'm standing around waiting for my GPS to triangulate or whatever that I wish I had something else on.

The compression effect is the main thing I was wondering about, as far as other reasons to wear them.  But it sounds like there's very little, if any, benefit along those lines, except for Milktruck's mention of a little more comfort in the early part of the run.

Seems pants vs. tights is pretty much a matter of personal preference. I have always worn pants - C9 from Target, cheap, and work great. Initially it was based on my belief that tights were for more "serious" runners, as well as the assumption that no one wants to see me in tights. I don't care about any of that stuff anymore, but I have gotten comfortable with pants. I run down to single-digit windchills, and have never had cold legs or felt the need for an additional base layer. As long as the nether regions are sufficiently layered - wind blockers sometimes over another pair of regular compression shorts.

Dave