How many miles before I replace shoes? (Read 1167 times)

Kippy

I am a 12 to 15 mile/week runner, slightly heavy and more of a "jogger" as speed goes...I have Asics Gel Kayano XI shoes, which have been great, but my feet are hurting now and I assume its time for new shoes. How many miles should I use as a target for replacement?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Every 300 miles. More often if you use these shoes -
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JK. Helpful as always. Did you notice the shoe picture I posted?
        JakeKnight

JK. Helpful as always. Did you notice the shoe picture I posted?
          No. I'm blind.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Lazy idiot

No. I'm blind.
            Three-word hilarity. The AM nominee for POD. MTA: Trent, I am not blind. What shoe is that? (for real)

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That would be a comet shoe.

Prince of Fatness

That would be a comet shoe.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Every 300 miles. More often if you use these shoes -
                  Weee're not worthy, weee're not worthy, weee're not worthy. Best comet ref on a running board yet. I stand in awe of your forum mastery.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Guys, I really do understand that when you are on this forums for a longer time, it can be boring to see the same questions over and over again. But I must say, that when I came here two years a go, the atmosphere on the 'Running 101' (did you notice the 'New to running? Come here to get help from more experienced runners.' under the title?) was much friendlier towards newbies. After reading the threads on this forum for a week now, I have learned one thing: 'DON'T ASK ANYTHING!' If you don't want to read/answer the same questions over and over again, shouldn't it be better to just ignore the thread, instead of scaring newbies away? Or just write a FAQ, and make it a sticky post where you can easily refer to.

Running in Belgium
                    Ann

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ann, don't mind us. We are just bored and snarky. And immature. Plus, we did in fact provide answers. I said 300, which is when I retire my shoes. JK posted links to other threads discussing this issue. The hilarity that ensued (okay, it was not funny) was just standard internet message board hijacking that had little to do with the original post.
                      C-R

Guys, After reading the threads on this forum for a week now, I have learned one thing: 'DON'T ASK ANYTHING!'
                        Not really. Trent's right about the snark. Guilty as charged - I run in flats and usually get 500 or more out of them. Usually more due to the smell vs wearing out. Ann - I've found lots of people happy to share their experiences here. Just like with any group, there are ebbs and flows. Don't read too much into it and by all mean's ask. There are lots of topics I never thought to ask but was glad someone else did.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

And immature.
                          That would be me. I got caught up in the moment and posted the picture of Bill Haley and his Comets. So I guess I owe an answer to the OP now. My legs seem to tell me when my shoes are worn. I probably get 500 miles out of a pair, but I am cheap and go as long as I can.

Not at it at all. 

Lazy idiot

As others have said, 300-500 miles. Or when your knees start to tell you they are done.

Tick tock

xor

I'm going to put both of the 'real' answers together here. It depends on the shoe. Mizuno Alchemy? 300. Actually, 299. 300 and above... I mean, even 301, and I start getting knee pain. I used to run only in Mizunos, but I had to give it up because... ...I can get 500 out of Brooks Adrenaline and Trance. Mind you, 300 (or 500) is just rule-of-thumb guidance. Like the good ol' 10% rule, it "works" for everyone in the sense that it is very conservative. But depending on how tough you are on shoes... your form and weight are two big factors... you might get more. Incidentally, if you ever have a structural issue with a shoe, like a Gel or Air pocket blowing out... or a big hole in the tread thanks to Who Knows What, replace those shoes regardless of mileage. And FYI, guys, "comet topic" was intended for those 8 page threads that devolve into name calling and mother invocation because the topic itself is divisive with no "right" answer. Shoe mileage ain't one of those things. It just oughta be in an FAQ. (which many people would skip anyway and ask their questions. "Is ok.")