Blisters - to pop or not to pop? (Read 978 times)

scootersnail

Hi, I did a half marathon on Sunday and got a half-dollar size blister on my heel. I doesn't hurt too badly but it fills up with fluid every time I run. It's really annoying. Will it be worse if I pop it? TIA!!

dork.major dork.

You will probably get several opinions on this. But I wouldn't pop the blister unless I thought it was going to pop anyway. If you've been running this week and it hasn't popped, I would leave it. You can apply a wet black teabag to it and that will help to dry it out (this sounds strange I know). Once you pop a blister it becomes a wound. Wounds s*ck. Blisters are annoying. On the other hand if it's going to pop on its own, it will be a messy wound, which is worse. Your call.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Think Whirled Peas

If it's been a few days since you first got it, I say pop it. Just leave the old skin on it to give the new stuff some additional time to toughen up. I recently acquired a blister on the ball of each foot from playing soccer and I didn't pop them right away. I kept running on them, and the result was that they actually grew in diameter b/c I was forcing the liquid to the edge of the blister w/each foot strike. This was more than irritating, it was a bit painful. One popped on its own, and I popped the other one intentionally. The very next run, all was well. Sure, it makes for some ugly feet, but then again, they're pretty beat up anyway so what's the diff? It's a pretty common problem, and has been bandied about here recently (I'm too lazy to look it up) but from my recollection I don't think you can really do much damage either way. It's more of a personal preference as to what's more tolerable to you. Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Think Whirled Peas

http://runningahead.com/forums/search?keywords=blister&a=Search Big grin
          I figured you'd get in on this one w/the nifty search function! I just type too slow.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

chrimbler

Pop it like it's hot
            Run like you stole it!
            scootersnail

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll leave it alone for now. It's just a pain in the a$$.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Look Scoots, I just had to cauterize a needle and drill through my big toenail to pop a stupendous blood bister. Ten days before a marathon. For the love of God, pop it.

If you decide to pop it, leave the old skin and then put some A&D on it for protection of the new skin underneath.
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                  C-R

Pop goes the blister! New skin (or crazy glue) helps in case things get bad.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Lazy idiot

Pop goes the blister! New skin (or crazy glue) helps in case things get bad.
                      Krazy Glue is a client of mine. I'll have to be sure to let them know that runners use this stuff for this.

Tick tock

The Greatest of All Time

Look Scoots, I just had to cauterize a needle and drill through my big toenail to pop a stupendous blood bister. Ten days before a marathon. For the love of God, pop it.
                        Ewww. Pics?
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Junior Amphibian

I'd pop it. With a sterilized needle, preferably, but you can just wipe a regular needle with alcohol swabs. Then just drain the liquid with kleenex and keep it dry.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

My sweet new crank!

If you are interested, you could use this as a reference for the "blister project" http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/7bde1822f78c4d0986a6dc425533bb3b
                            Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO