Facebook - Wall Posts (Read 1066 times)

FB is whatever you want it to be.  It amuses me, and I like that. 

If you don't like it, don't use it.   Smile

Michelle

Why is it sideways?

From Kurt Vonnegut:

"I hate the idea of the Information Superhighway which will almost certainly turn out to be a narrow thoroughfare with lots of cops and tollgates. I attended a symposium about its prospects a few days ago, with nothing but good people taking part, but all vested interests. One man, an old friend as it happened, and in charge of planning Time-Warner's participation in the highway, said with some shrewd sadness: 'We have to say it's going to be good because it is in any case inevitable.'"

xor

FB is whatever you want it to be.  It amuses me, and I like that. 

If you don't like it, don't use it.   Smile

Yes, well...

As someone who gave it the boot, I can tell you that it ain't that simple.  By a long shot.  It is just expected  these days that "you are on facebook" and you miss a lot if you aren't.  Not just cutesy gossipy stuff.  Real info and events and change-of-life stuff.

So smile away, but it ain't that simple sometimes.

I encourage EVERYONE to give up facebook for 30 days and see how it goes.  I don't mean "just don't look for a month"... I mean deactivate your account.  It is liberating, but it is very very weird.  Just do it to see, and then go back.

(60 days into it, and I still get people who are offended and/or sad that I personally defriended them. Which I didn't.)

But sometimes we idealize that kind of small-town face to face stuff without really considering how that was also really bad and gossipy and embarrassing and inescapable--and really worse for people who didn't have the personality for it. Sometimes it is nice to be able to "block" your friends when they are being stupid.

I agree, but the more troubling thing to me about the onslaught of primarily electronic interaction is a growing inability to interact publicly. I mean, even the small things. Like making eye contact and saying hello. You really can go for 10 minutes in public without staring nonstop at your phone for fear of people thinking you're not in demand.

And get off my lawn. Or whatever.

Kalsarikännit

Oh, and when I mock blogs and especially runners' blogs, there is an exception.  TanyaS, ladies and gentlemen.  She's funny, she can write, and she has interesting stories to tell.  No one else hits those three the way she does.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Why is it sideways?

I agree, but the more troubling thing to me about the onslaught of primarily electronic interaction is a growing inability to interact publicly. I mean, even the small things. Like making eye contact and saying hello. 

So true. One of the most harrowing things about walking across a college campus as a freshman is the fact that you run into all these people who you don't know and maybe say hi. But then you do it a bunch, you meet people, and four years later as a senior, one of the greatest things in the world is walking across a college campus and saying hi to people.

But now so many people go where they are going, their ears plugged and their eyes down and on a little screen.

What's even worse is that many of them are texting and calling their parents. Good for feeling at home. Bad for growing up.

Yes, well...

As someone who gave it the boot, I can tell you that it ain't that simple.  By a long shot.  It is just expected  these days that "you are on facebook" and you miss a lot if you aren't.  Not just cutesy gossipy stuff.  Real info and events and change-of-life stuff.

So smile away, but it ain't that simple sometimes.

I encourage EVERYONE to give up facebook for 30 days and see how it goes.  I don't mean "just don't look for a month"... I mean deactivate your account.  It is liberating, but it is very very weird.  Just do it to see, and then go back.

(60 days into it, and I still get people who are offended and/or sad that I personally defriended them. Which I didn't.)

I like it to keep up with my friends and  family who live in other states, or those I don't see day to day.  It is a connection to all of the new running friends I meet, and a way to learn of how others train & race.  I like it to vent, share, give support, or get support.  With working 40 plus hours a week, having a full house, training, and life in general, FB is a neat option to take quick peek into what is going on with everyone. 

For me, it isn't much different than any other social networking website out there.  I don't depend on it, but I certainly do enjoy it.  When life is too hectic, I simply don't log on.

My best friend from when I was 8 years old is not on FB, and she will never be on FB, so we chat on the phone and get together IRL.  What a concept!

Michelle

xor

Yes. I understand what facebook is.  My response was about "don't like it? don't use it".  It isn't as easy as that.

But I get the pluses, yes I do.

But now so many people go where they are going, their ears plugged and their eyes down and on a little screen.

I was at a kid's birthday party this weekend, where a 7 year old girl fell down the deck stairs...she was walking and texting on her iphone.

7 years old. iphone. texting. It's morning in America, baby.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Yes. I understand what facebook is.  My response was about "don't like it? don't use it".  It isn't as easy as that.

But I get the pluses, yes I do.

A world without FB wouldn't be a bad thing.   I work at a counseling agency and we've had long conversations about this, especially when focusing on high school & college level users.  

MTA:  By the way, not one of the therapists here think FB has any real purpose.

Michelle

Why is it sideways?

Uli Stiedl on FB (and other things): "I’m not so sure I would put “women” and “Facebook” in the same category. You can’t hug or kiss Facebook. On the other hand, you can ignore Facebook for a month without serious consequences."

Oh, and when I mock blogs and especially runners' blogs, there is an exception.  TanyaS, ladies and gentlemen.  She's funny, she can write, and she has interesting stories to tell.  No one else hits those three the way she does.

Blush

But thanks in advance for the writing about pooping idea.

Kalsarikännit

But thanks in advance for the writing about pooping idea.

Crap.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Anyhow....I like seeing RunningAhead log posts on FB.  I like that it is a way to advertise the website for those who may not know about it.  I like that it is another kind of daily motivation to get out there and get some miles in.  I also like commenting on log posts when someone had a good run, and when people comment on my log posts. 

Michelle

xor

Uli is a cool dude, super nice to slower runners he passes on the trail.  That quote works especially well if you say it with a Sprockets-esque higher pitch german accent.  (which is somewhat how Uli sounds).  His wife Trish is also a great local runner. They give back a lot to the local running community.