Outside of left foot hurting (Read 88 times)

runningman5

Two days after a long run, I noticed the outside of my left foot starting to hurt while walking.  I rested for a day and my foot felt better, now after running just 2 miles I had to walk the rest of the way back home because of the intense pain. Any ideas or has anyone else had the same problems, thanks for any feedback.

I have struggled with something similar.  By outside do you mean on the top of the foot, the actual side of the foot, or bottom of the outside?  Big difference.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

runningman5

the pain is on the side of the foot

Well that is a little odd.  I can only share my experiences with a similar issue.  Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.  It wasn't what I wanted to hear either.

My doctor told me...

It could be a stress fracture.  If so, it requires 4-6 weeks of rest.

OR,

It could be a bone contusion.  If so, it requires 4-6 weeks of rest.

OR,

It could be soft tissue damage.  If so, it requires 4-6 weeks of rest.

If you are covered for an MRI, get it done.  But it will likely be one of the three above diagnoses, which all have the same treatment.

I am not a doctor, but that was my experience.

As you can see from my logs, I did take the 6 (okay, 5) weeks off and just starting to rebuild my mileage.  So far, so good.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

See my recent response to a post from someone else who has similar pain....

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e77a8fc880bf403cbcf9d43b406f2a9e/resume#focus

Rob

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I have something similar, during a LR, below the fibula on the outside.  More of an ache than a pain.  Goes away in a few hours, but annoying when running.   Might be Peroneal Tendonitis according Dr. You Tube.

I have had a stress fracture of the 5th metatarsal (the bone leading to the pinky toe) from an awkward foot landing. It is the slowest healing metatarsal and ended up taking me 4 months off to heal completely in a boot. I had originally tried running again after 8 weeks and just hurt it again and had to start over. I've also had a foot injury that felt eerily similar to the stress fracture pain, but ended up just being a tendon problem and with lots of ice it was cleared up within a couple weeks and I was back to new.

MRI's are the only way to know for sure quickly what it is. I know my insurance requires an x-ray before an MRI, which is silly because most stress fractures won't even show up on an x-ray until a couple weeks later after the bone has started to visibly heal.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

I had the same outside of the foot pain come up recently along with a bout of sporadic shin pain in my left leg.  At times I would get the shin pain without any foot pain.  But at other times I would get both at the same time, almost as if the foot pain was secondary to or triggered by the shin pain.  When the foot pain joined into the mix, it felt like my entire lower leg was starting to go numb and stiff and I had to slow to a walk immediately.  Once I started walking, the foot and shin pain would ease off.  Ice and foam rolling seemed not to improve the situation, so eventually I just stopped running for 10 days until all symptoms went away.