Outkicking in Races (Read 547 times)

keeponrunning

It's a race, go for it.   I've done my fair share of outkicking.  Including once where the map I saw before was scaled really badly and I where thought the ~100m mark was was closer to 1km from the end Dead

However, I'm with SRL, if you push in front right at the finish line, that's dirty.  I had that happen at our regional meet back in high school, and was quite ticked.  Looking back it's borderline amusing as we were around 100 out of 250 or so people and at no risk for moving on, but at the time it wasn't.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Feeling the growl again

It's a race, go for it.   I've done my fair share of outkicking.  Including once where the map I saw before was scaled really badly and I where thought the ~100m mark was was closer to 1km from the end Dead

However, I'm with SRL, if you push in front right at the finish line, that's dirty.  I had that happen at our regional meet back in high school, and was quite ticked.  Looking back it's borderline amusing as we were around 100 out of 250 or so people and at no risk for moving on, but at the time it wasn't.

Yeah, I thought it was bad form when a guy full-on tackled me from behind (double-armed bear hug around the shoulders, throwing me into the pavement at 5:30 pace) in a HM last year less than 1/2 mile in.  Perhaps his map was just scaled wrong?

At least chicks dig scars...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No more marathons

Usually by the end of a race there is no kick left.  But if there is I'll go in the following situations:

1.  Someone is trying to pass me.

2.  Some old fart (means he's in my age group) is right there.

3.  Some youngster (i.e. - someone under 50) who thought he was hot a few miles back is right there.

I don't outkick children, but other than that, you're fair game.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Turbolegs

Yeah, I thought it was bad form when a guy full-on tackled me from behind (double-armed bear hug around the shoulders, throwing me into the pavement at 5:30 pace) in a HM last year less than 1/2 mile in.  Perhaps his map was just scaled wrong?

looks like you have more than just chicks digging you ..... Big grin

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

keeponrunning

I think you misunderstood me.  I started my kick at the point which I thought was ~100m from the end going by the map..  I discovered a bit late that it was closer to 1km from the end and thought I would die; being a cross country course I couldn't see to know where the end was while running the race.  This case was the scale.

However, when you can see the end of the race, and it is obviously quite close [such as when you were tackled], that is just dirty and wrong.

And chicks dig scars??  I missed the memo apparently Wink

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Are you saying that "cutting someone off by impeding them" is dirty, or that "doing the traditional lean across the line to try to win" is dirty?

GEBRSELASSIE Y TERGAT. 10000 METROS SIDNEY 2000

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I rely on my kick for race performance--esp. in track it's a big advantage I have since I don't have the endurance for other strategies like surging but have good closing speed.  Not sure what's wrong with that... for me the kick is separate from the race effort, it's not like I've been holding back.  Plus, isn't that the whole fun of the race?  To match paces with someone and then see if you have enough left to smoke them at the end?

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Julia1971

Are you saying that "cutting someone off by impeding them" is dirty, or that "doing the traditional lean across the line to try to win" is dirty?

GEBRSELASSIE Y TERGAT. 10000 METROS SIDNEY 2000

Wow.  That video is a thing of beauty.

I think what they're talking about is runners who pass you, then move right in front of you and slow down.  It's kinda like the slow poke in the left lane of a two-lane highway you're about to pass on the right who suddenly changes into your lane without using their signal so you have to break to avoid rear-ending them.

sugnim

As a middle-of-the-packer, I'm only really ever racing myself.  I will never win a race, and with an Olympic champ and some other world-class runners in my town, I will never win my age group.  Still, I tend to pick random people at a race & try to beat them.  If I pass one target successfully, I'll choose another.  At a 5K I did in December, someone did that to me.  The finish line was just over a little foot bridge, & I was cruising in when someone zoomed past me on my left & finished a few seconds before me.  After I crossed the finish, she turned around and told me she had been trying to catch me the whole time.  That actually made me pretty happy, and I was glad she caught up & out-kicked me.

It's a race.  Run fast and beat as many people as you can while maintaining a spirit of camaraderie.

Mmmmm...beer

I'm learning that when I can evenly pace myself, there's not a huge kick left, but I still pour on whatever I have left in me, regardless of who is around me.  I was closing in on a guy that I know for the last couple of miles of my 10k yesterday, kicked and tried to catch him, but didn't quite make it.  He's not even in my age group, but trying to catch him helped me give a decent kick.

At one of my recent 5ks, I was going back and forth with a woman who ended up trailing off my shoulder for the last 3/4 mile or so and then outkicked me to the finish.  No big deal, it was fun and added a lil extra to the race.  We high fived each other afterwards.  I don't get why people would get upset over something like that.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Birdwell

I'm so glad I found this thread. I really turned it up over the last 400 meters in my first HM, and I felt bad for passing so many people right at the end. I thought it was a little unfair for a couple of days, but I also felt bad that I felt bad. Thanks to this thread, I have justification! I will never feel bad for kicking at the end again. Because it is a race!