Myth Debunked: Treadmill Just as Good as Road Running (Read 418 times)

runmichigan

Article from ABC News about treadmill running for discussion

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/myth-debunked-treadmill-good-road-running/story?id=29050477

joescott

From the article.

'Treadmill running has a few negligible variations in biomechanics compared to outdoor running, said exercise physiologist Reed Ferber, who is the director of the running injury clinic at the University of Calgary in Canada.

“You have more forward lean from your trunk and more flexion at the hips and knees when you run on a treadmill because you don’t need to generate as much power at the same speed as you do running on level ground outdoors,” he said. “For the average runner, this doesn’t mean much.”'

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

It's amazing what constitutes an "article" for a "news" site nowadays--375 words (including headings) and conclusions that are almost the exact opposite of what the title indicates.

And apparently Reed Farber didn't need to take physics to get is PhD in sports medicine and gait biomechanics from Nike U.

Runners run

Studies show that running is running. Got it. Let the vigorous discussion begin...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

well now, i'm glad that was cleared up. i think i'll stick to the stair climber with a 30-40 lb. backpack, and laps in the pool.

spinach

Interesting.  I have always assumed that treadmills would be about equivalent to running on a track or road but I know nothing of them.  I have only once run on a treadmill when a doctor gave me a stress test.  It was scary because I was constantly worried I would be thrown off the back but I survived the run.

There was one thing in the article that seems to contradict the headline.  The article says: When you run outdoors, your calf muscles produce about 80 percent of the forward propulsion power but this drops significantly on a treadmill because the ground moves underneath you.

This seems to indicate that you are using a different set of muscles on a treadmill than you do on roads. So it may still be a good exercise but this seems to indicate that it isn't equivalent to running on a track.

I think the discussion should be on the poorly constructed headline. "Myth Debunked: Treadmill Just as Good as Road Running".

I think the headline presupposes the "myth" is that treadmill is NOT as good, and the conclusion is that it is, in fact, just as good (with negligible difference). But, clearly written by a prat, or a princess, or a physics denier.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                JimR

Ah, it's in the news, it must be true.

Studies  have also shown that 60 percent of the time, it works everytime.....

Joann Y

Treadmill Just as Good as Road Running.  Is that the myth or the myth debunked? This is a dumb "article". About as good as the one about the dominatrix and the 50 Shades class at the gym.

well now, i'm glad that was cleared up. i think i'll stick to the stair climber with a 30-40 lb. backpack, and laps in the pool.

Just don't use the ladder rungs. Otherwise, it won't count.

You mean, you have to put a little slope on it to better simulate outdoor running? Who knew? Fantastic news - so informative.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There was one thing in the article that seems to contradict the headline.  The article says: When you run outdoors, your calf muscles produce about 80 percent of the forward propulsion power but this drops significantly on a treadmill because the ground moves underneath you.

This seems to indicate that you are using a different set of muscles on a treadmill than you do on roads. So it may still be a good exercise but this seems to indicate that it isn't equivalent to running on a track.

So apparently, if the ground does not move underneath you when you run outdoors, hopping is your version of outdoor running.

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills