Slow Running Takes Much Willpower (Read 670 times)

Every day I ran slowly at 10 minute pace this week. My ego kept chomping at the bit, wanting to push the pace though. I resisted the urge. But I also noticed that every day I really look forward to running and my energy is up, even after a full days work. Big grin I am hoping to keep increasing the miles at this slow pace in order to build a large base. Back in April I became injured somehow due to constantly trying to run faster. Black eye It was an adductor strain I think. Felt like a hernia and it hurt to cough. After many hundreds of situps and adductor exercises, the pain if finally gone.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

What, no quotes today, Hefty?

Roads were made for journeys...

Slow running can trigger the ego... but if you take the time to observe the world around you it will help. When you run slower the running takes much less concentration and therefore it can be focused on other thngs... like the tree you are about to pass or observing the exact shade of blue the sky is today. The songs of the birds. The smell of the flowering trees. If I am running slow and start thinking about running I inevitably start thinking about racing and the next thing I know my pace has climbed... Take the time... smell the flower...
          I agree Hefty. Running slower is hard, but worth it in my experience. I used a HRM to help me slow down, and that's when I really started to enjoy my runs. There are still days though when that upper limit on the HRM chafes and I get frustrated because I want to go faster.
          Brandon
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I am running slow and start thinking about running I inevitably start thinking about racing and the next thing I know my pace has climbed...
            Ha, this is SO true! The best tool in helping me run slower has definitely been my Garmin.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Hefty, I think you are getting it! Good job. A little advice, when referring to your slower paced runs, use the word "comfortable". A comfortable pace sounds much better than a "slow" pace. When I set up plans, I will always either label runs for clients, "comfortable pace" or "very comfortable pace" (which is recovery pace). Plus, what is slow for one runner may be fast for another.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I HATE RUNNING SLOW!!!!!!!!! but after 3 months with no running due to my knee surg. I started slow and I hate when people are right. I have no pain and feel like I could keep going and going although I still have to learn to let people pass me. I just can not let it happen. the most I go out is at 70%