For those who wear Asics GT 2130s - mileage experiences? (Read 909 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Hi All, Picked up a new pair of Asics GT 2130s yesterday, after having my first ever "Professional Fitting". (Apparently I pronate and need a shoe that offers stability and mild to moderate motion control). I love the way they feel, and in the brief few hundred yards I put on them in the store parking lot, they felt GREAT. I can't remember the last time a shoe fit me this comfortably. The thing is, the salesperson said I should expect to get 300-600 miles out of this shoe. OK, so which is it? What has been your experience with this shoe? FYI - I am about 200 lbs, running mostly on asphalt, and (as I also learned yesterday) am a mid-foot striker. Michael

The Greatest of All Time

I am on pairs 3 and 4. I love them. Mine last around 500 +/- 50, but you have 30lbs on me. I would start paying attention to how your legs feel starting around 300 or so. If you suddenly get knee aches or shin pains out of the blue...time to change them up.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

I just bought a pair of 2130s after having two pairs of 2120s. I'm going to alternate them with my latest pair of 2120s. The 2130s seem a little stiffer and noiser than the 2120s, but I like them OK so far. My first pair of 2120s lasted a long time, so we'll see how these do in comparison.

Burninated Peasant

Like Marcus, I've typically gotten around 500 out of the 2110's and 2120's, so I'd assume similar mileage for the 2130. Marcus has 20 lbs on me, but an inordinate percentage of my mileage is on concrete.
            I'm 275 miles into my first pair.... they still feel great...... but they stink like nobody's business.

Lia's Daddy

I'm about to retire a pair of 2120's at around 320 miles.
              "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
              Durchal

Interesting to see these mileage numbers. My experiences are quite different.... three pairs of 2120s and an average of 283 miles. My new 2130s seem even better, but I expect to see similar mileage. I like these shoes because they have more flex than the Kayanos I used to wear, although my mileage was somewhat higher with the Kayanos. Still, at about 160 lbs. there is something fundamentally different in my report....either I am striding inefficiently or am more critical of minor changes in the shoes....or ??what??
                  I'm 150 and asphalt. With the 2110 and 2120 I've gotten around 250 miles before a needed change. I have usually pushed the shoe to 300 or more but should have retired it earlier. I'm on my first pair of 2130 and have 187 miles with no issues at this point. I expect to retire them around 250-300.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    I'm 275 miles into my first pair.... they still feel great...... but they stink like nobody's business.
                    I'll have you know, my business does not stink. Oh, wait, yes it does...nevermind. Roll eyes
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

shonan marathon, girl

I had a pair of 2110s, now have 2120s that have 476 miles on them. I was always wondering when I need to retire them. They seem to last forever. I weigh 103 lbs. Right now, I only wear them for training or when I run in the rain. These shoes are extremely popular in Japan among Japanese runners.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

A Saucy Wench

Interesting to see these mileage numbers. My experiences are quite different.... three pairs of 2120s and an average of 283 miles. My new 2130s seem even better, but I expect to see similar mileage. I like these shoes because they have more flex than the Kayanos I used to wear, although my mileage was somewhat higher with the Kayanos. Still, at about 160 lbs. there is something fundamentally different in my report....either I am striding inefficiently or am more critical of minor changes in the shoes....or ??what??
                        Some people are just more sensitive to changes...it depends on what you need out of a shoe. I have chronic metatarsalgia (slight collapse of the ball of the foot) which makes me extremely sensitive to loss of cushion...one of the first things to go in a shoe. FWIW I found the asics to last longer than the brooks for long runs. I could take the asics out long for 350 miles easy, I am feeling loss of cushioning already in my Brooks at ~ 200 Depending on what you are sensitive to, you can sometimes extend the life of a shoe by "classifying" it. Since padding is what I need and mostly only on long runs, I will retire a shoe from long runs but still get another 100 miles or so on short runs out of a pair. I LOVED the asics and was on my 4th consecutive pair last year and 3rd of the same model/year and the 3rd pair was just a bum pair. Have been afraid to go back. I agree with Brioche, they are great for rain - they keep my feet drier than any other shoe. In oregon that is no small thing.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Thanks all for the advice and comments. I think based on what I have read I will plan on relegating this pair to short runs after 250 or so, and start breaking in another pair at that point. I've only 30 put miles or so on them so far, but they feel great! I had been a New Balance guy for years, since that's all I could seem to find in wide widths, but these may have just converted me. Michael
                            Starting to reconsider the "they still feel great" part. 285 miles. Been having some knee issue for the last 2 weeks...... maybe the shoes are done? I just don't know. Jason

The mileage you get out of a shoe depends on to many factors, which is why 300-600 as a range works. I haven't used 2130s, but in the dozen or so 2040, 2090, 2100 etcs that I've used I usually get around 450-550 miles out of them. Your weight, your running style, the surfaces that you run on, and the weather conditions can all affect how long your shoes last. (Extremely high or low temperatures will also degrade the life of your shoes, so avoid leaving them in the trunk of your car!) I generally run in my shoes until 1 of 3 conditions is met: 1. They feel like they are ready to be retired. 2. They visibly appear like they are ready to be retired (such as wearing a hole through under a toe, which I've done before) 3. Something starts to hurt. Any of those 3 conditions are met, I start retiring shoes. In the case of feeling an injury come on, I have to figure out which pair or pairs of shoes might be the culprit, but its easy to spot excessive wear and tear on a pair of shoes and I've run down so many pairs that I can usually tell when to toss them during the course of a short run.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ringmaster

Beware slight thread hijack . . . I don't wear the 2130s, though they were one of the shoes I considered. I wear Nike Triax 11s. But they only have 260mi on them and I have been suffering quickly worsening knee pain over the last three weeks, and now shin pain as well. Ortho has nixed any injury. Could it be the shoes? Should I try the Nikes again or should I give another brand a shot and see if I get more mileage out of another brand? The 2130s were suggested, like I said, or the Brooks Adrenalines. Advice much appreciated.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile