5K just before a Half (Read 510 times)

~Gordo~

There is a FREE local 5K race tomorrow on the base, and I'm signed up for the Shamrock Half Marathon on Sunday. Any reason I shouldn't do the 5K? Confused I've kept this week pretty light and taking today off as well as Saturday. I would run 3 miles on Friday even if I don't do the 5K, it just wouldn't be as fast. Your 'votes' decide... Surprised ~Gordo
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~

Depends what your goals are for the 1/2M. If you are trying to maximize Sunday's performance then I would pass on the 5K. But thats just me. When I enter a race, I race. I wouldn't be able to dish out a easy effort in the 5K. If you aren't trying to maximize performance in the 1/2 M and you just like to run races, then do both.
      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
        My vote is to do it. I would do it (mostly because it is free.) I generally race one time per month, but once I raced a 5K on a Saturday and then a 5 miler the next day, and PR'd the 5 miler. It would be a good experiment for you. Good luck

I am one of the sponsors of a free weekly 5k race series here in Portland Maine that goes around our Back Cove. I started running it two years ago, and only missed two races since then, once because I was on my honeymoon, and another time because I was at a conference. I still "raced" it even when I had marathons the weekend before or the weekend after (or a 50k, for that matter). Half the time it was just a workout (less so last year but still...) rather than a race. I'd say it's probably worth jumping in. How easily do you usually recover from a 5k? I don't know that I'd race all out, but I'd still run a 17 to 18 minute race if I felt like racing it, or I'd use the people around me to chase down and run intervals or fartlek style. If you are usually tired the day after a 5k, it probably isn't worth going too hard. An easy solution is if you have a wife, girlfriend, or buddy that is a lot slower than you and wants company during a race for a change. Perfect opportunity.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Tremont

A lot also depends on how fast you recover. I've never tried it but I think I'd suffer in the half if I ran a 5k full tilt two days before. I think there's more to be risked than gained. There are lots of 5ks and, yeah, this one's free but the half isn't.

The Greatest of All Time

There is no way I would do the 5K full on if you want to race the HM well. No way. If you run the 5k full out you will damage muscle tissue and will not likely be fully recovered by Sunday. My legs can be quite sore the day after an all out 5K so that's what I am basing my answer on. Just my $.02
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Scout7

Just go do it.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I hammered my PR 5k on a Sunday morning, and had a terrible track meet the following Tuesday. So it depends on: a) how important is the HM? b) are you willing (and able) to run the 5k at less than full tilt?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

~Gordo~

Thanks for the input. I decided to do both and PR'd them both! Big grin 5K -- 22:51 Half Marathon: 1:50:36 ~Gordo
                    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                      Excellent job, Gordo! Congrats on the double PR!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Great job Gordo! Glad it worked out for you. I've done the back to back thing before and in my experiment I found that if the first race is shorter than the second it usually works out ok.