Can I run this Marathon??? (Read 777 times)

mikeswag

Need a little help.... -I have been training for my first MArathon on March 1st. Snickers marathon bar marathon in Albany, GA. -Trainning was going great. Followed Furman first with added cross training. -December 24th had a twinge in my hamstring. Backed off training. -continued to bike, swim and replaced runs with Eliptical time. NO INTERVALS or road running - this past week I was able to run (2) seven mile runs and a nine miler with no pain. - I also road 100 miles and swam 2 I am planning to pick up the Furman first at week 7 this week. Questions: Am I too late to pick it back up for a race 7 weeks away? Should I postpone until the fall? NExt chance to run a marathon is October. Mutiple triathlons in the spring. Sorry for the long q's. Thanks in advance. mike

Feeling the growl again

You're really asking for trouble by running this marathon. Marathons are demanding enough when you are prepared, and you are injured and have not been able to put in the preparation. You have to ask yourself, is running this marathon really worth the misery you are bound to cause yourself??? I'm sure FIRST is acceptable for many people in shorter races, but I question if it's ever really a good idea for marathons. Marathons put your body through a lot of pounding that cycling/swimming will do nothing to prepare you for. Since you have been doing the cycling/swimming but NOT the running, this problem is AMPLIFIED for you. You're going to have a much more enjoyable marathon experience (and recovery) if you wait until you can train better for one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Scout7

I agree. The whole point of the FIRST program is to only do the "necessary" running. Since you haven't been able to, and all the other running was so limited, you're asking for trouble. Could you technically run this marathon and complete it? Probably. But I wouldn't.
        mikeswag

I agree with you regarding the furman first program. I was using this program in line with Triathlon training. Monday - tempo 6-10 miles + swim 45 mins Tuesday - Ride 30 miles 80-82% of max hr Wednesday - long run 12-18 miles thursday - ride 30 miles 80-82% of max hr friday speed work/hill/interval + swim 1 hour saturday off sunday ride 40-60 miles 75% max I do not have training hours for 40+ miles running. However, my cross training far exceeds the 30-45 mins the furman first calls for twice a week.
          Scout7

Swimming won't help your run. Biking only minimally so.

Dave

What was your longest run during training? How many before you backed off? If you adjust your expectations and your pace, you might be able to do it. Sort of depends on whether you're running it to finish it or for a specific time goal. If your long run is at least 18 and you've got a good running base, I don't see why you couldn't slow your pace down and finish. I would never encourage anyone to do it but if you check my log prior to the USMC marathon as an example of a first marathon on less mileage than you'd want. I was very conservative in my pace and finished it strongly (fastest pace in the last 10K) despite not having done the long runs you'd want to see.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trying to make up for lost time in marathon training is generally a bad idea. The swimming, biking and elliptical are great for cardio but they can't replace running. Your legs are in a weakened state and at high risk of injury if you push to make your March marathon. How do I know? Because I did the same thing. I missed several weeks of training due to some tendonitis and when trying to make up the time, ended up pulling a quad muscle two weeks before the marathon. There are plenty of marathons around, pick one in the fall and give yourself time to properly prepare for it. Tom
                mikeswag

What was your longest run during training? How many before you backed off? If you adjust your expectations and your pace, you might be able to do it. Sort of depends on whether you're running it to finish it or for a specific time goal. If your long run is at least 18 and you've got a good running base, I don't see why you couldn't slow your pace down and finish. I would never encourage anyone to do it but if you check my log prior to the USMC marathon as an example of a first marathon on less mileage than you'd want. I was very conservative in my pace and finished it strongly (fastest pace in the last 10K) despite not having done the long runs you'd want to see.
                  I was up to I had completed several weeks of 12 miles, 2 thirteens and 1 fifteen. I will try an 18 next week. If I can finish strong, then I will try the race. I may try the ING marathon in atlanta 4 weeks later. mike