Anatomy of an dumb runner (was Anatomy of a bonk) (Read 1130 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

Posted here so others don't make the same (many) mistakes I did yesterday. Trainging for a HM on 6/22 and after taking a month easy (business trips) I wanted to get back to my HM schedule. This meant an 10 mile run this weekend. Mistake #1, I did not rebuild the mileage, I just jumped back into the schedule. I had chores that I needed to take care of, so I didn't get out to run until the middle of the day. It was hotter than I had ever run in.(Mistake #2) I did not hydrate at all during the morning because of said chores (Mistake #3) I have run unsupported runs up to 9 miles with no issues, so I figured 10 would be no big deal (Mistake #4) I did not plan my route with any water sources (Mistake #5) - so by mile 8, I considered whether it was safe to pick up the discarded bottles at the side of the road a drink whatever was in them. I did not bring any money to buy any water, even though I passed about 500 convenience stores during the run. (Mistake #6) I ran my 11 mile route, instead of the 10, because I can HTFU when ever I want to (Mistake #7) Needless to say, it did not go well. I'll sum it up by telling you what one of my neighbors said to my wife. "I saw him leave and he was running, and two hours later he came back... and... well... I guess he was still running" Hope you all can learn something from this. I sure did!

http://xkcd.com/621/

///whack upsida head/// But this isn't a bonk, it's dehydration. Take care of yourself in the next few days -- a shock to your system like that could make you vulnerable to catching any cold virus that's floating around.

Giant Flaming Dork

///whack upsida head/// But this isn't a bonk, it's dehydration.
        Thanks, I needed the whack upside the head! So it wasn't the lack of nutrients while running, but the lack of water?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think it was definitely water, not nutrients, from reading all the posts from the pros on the board. Friday, I ran my longest run ever, 11.5 miles, but I planned ahead. I stuck some money in a little pocket in my shorts and stopped at a convenience store after 8.7 miles. I DID learn that Gatorade at our local store is $2.19 with tax (highway robbery!), so I'll have to make sure I always take enough cash (I did this time, fortunately!). I also discovered two other drinking fountains that I hadn't seen before, so I'll use those in the future. In the past, I was reluctant to stop at all, because I try to run the entire way, but now that it's warmer and I know I CAN run that far, I don't mind stopping. Take it easy this week!!
          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Marathon training in 2004. Mile 14 run past the house. Decided not to re-fill water bottle because there was a fountain at mile 15. Fountain turned off (winter) . 65 F/18 C. 20 miler planned. Hit the wall at 15.25 miles . Sunday 8:00 AM. "Mommy there is a man at the door who wants water from the front faucet". Walked the1.5 miles back to the house. I had been running about 15 years and 2 marathons. Do we ever learn? Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

kcam

I don't think it was lack of water or nutrients - it was lack of training. Mistake #1 was the biggest mistake. Get out there every day, even if it's only for 2 or 3 easy miles.
                Lack of water AND lack of electrolytes. Less than one hour....should be OK with just water. Up to 2 hours...make sure you get electrolytes, so drink a sports drink or eat pretzels or whatever; just get some salt. This is really important when the weather is hot and/or humid. Over 2 hours...you need nutrients as well.

Oh Mighty Wing

I had similar issues this weekend... I wonder if some of your mistakes wouldn't have been when it was cooler but since it's warmer they became mistakes... I went out for a 10miler thinking i'd grab water at 6 when my friend would leave me and be fine... well i got water at 6 and 8 but could only make it to 9 because I was out of get-up-and-go... at 9 it just started to return but I decided not to press my luck to 10. I've only ever used water because normally all the other things taste like crap, but I can tell you that at mile 6 I had the largest idea a cold capri sun would have tasted AWESOME... not that I had one available.

Giant Flaming Dork

I had similar issues this weekend... I wonder if some of your mistakes wouldn't have been when it was cooler but since it's warmer they became mistakes... I went out for a 10miler thinking i'd grab water at 6 when my friend would leave me and be fine... well i got water at 6 and 8 but could only make it to 9 because I was out of get-up-and-go... at 9 it just started to return but I decided not to press my luck to 10. I've only ever used water because normally all the other things taste like crap, but I can tell you that at mile 6 I had the largest idea a cold capri sun would have tasted AWESOME... not that I had one available.
                    Seriously. Anything would have tasted better than what I had (nothing...) I wonder that too, as to whether I would have been okay if it had been cooler. But then again, I would have made these mistakes sooner or later. Better to be sooner. Ken (campisi): I think you said what I was afraid to say myself.

kcam

Seriously. Anything would have tasted better than what I had (nothing...) I wonder that too, as to whether I would have been okay if it had been cooler. But then again, I would have made these mistakes sooner or later. Better to be sooner. Ken (campisi): I think you said what I was afraid to say myself.
                      Ahh, you weren't afraid to say it - afterall you did list it as Mistake #1. I just think it was, by far, the most important one. I do feel for you guys that have to train in hot/humid weather, don't really have that much here in San Jose. I guess my mettle regarding this will be tested this July when I go out to Michigan to particpate in the Great Lakes Relay. At least three 8 mile legs through sand/streams/trails and I'm guessing it's gonna be hot, humid and mosquito-laden. I will keep in mind your 'mistakes'!! Good luck on your half - get out there and run every day!

Giant Flaming Dork

Where in San Jose are you? I'm going to be traveling to San Jose 7/21-7/25. Holy cow, that's quite a race you've signed up for. Have the MI'ers informed you of what it's going to be like at that time of year?!?! What made you sign up for this race? Thanks again for the reply.

kcam

I live in W. San Jose. My sister and her friend (live in MI) have formed a team to do this GLR and I got suckered into joining in on the 'fun'! If you want, let me know if you're up for a run while you're in SanHoser. Umm, actually the GLR is 7/18-7/20, I'll be flying back on the 21st, might be tight. Also, I may not be in the mood to ever run again! It's kind of funny but we'll be running this 270 mile tour across Michigan (from lake to lake) this summer and a few summers ago my sister, my dad and I did the Michigander bicycle tour that was about 300 miles up the coast of Lake Michigan all the way to Traverse City. So, having never lived in MI and never spent more time than the amount of time these two events take I will have traveled almost the width and breadth of that great state either by bike or by foot! Pretty cool now that I think about it, if only Michiganders (is that what they call them?) counted for more than 1/2 a person Wink
                            Losing as little as 2% of the fluids in your body can have a negative effect on muscle performance, that's less than 6 ounces for a 150 pound runner. Most people would be surprised at how much water they lose on a run. I've weighed myself before and after long runs and found that I've lost as much as 8 pounds, that's nearly a gallon of water and 5% of my body weight. Neglecting to replace what you lose can have serious consequences, not just net you a bad run. I typically alternate between a liter of water or sports drink every hour on summer runs. Nutrition would not be an issue on a 10 mile run. I've gone as far as 24 miles on nothing but water before with no trouble. Most of us can store around 2000 calories worth of glycogen in our muscles which is easily good for 20 miles or more at a long run pace. There is some pretty good information on running and dehydration in the following article by Pete Phitzinger: THE DANGERS OF DEHYDRATION Tom

The shirtless wonder

Losing as little as 2% of the fluids in your body can have a negative effect on muscle performance, that's less than 6 ounces for a 150 pound runner. Tom
                              I think your math may be incorrect. 2% of 150 lbs is 3 lbs. Greg
                                I think your math may be incorrect. 2% of 150 lbs is 3 lbs. Greg
                                I think he meant 2% of body fluid, though the math would still be off. Water makes up about 70% of body mass, so 2% of 105 lbs would be 2.1 lbs.