Shoe Inserts-Yay or Nay (Read 985 times)

Baby bean!

I was cleaning out my sock drawer and found inserts that I wore when I was a waitress. They were still fairly new b/c I only wore them a handful of times. So I tried them out today. I feel like my calves felt it more today than other days. So I was just curious. Are inserts good or terrible?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I wouldn't run without inserts, but I use the ones that come with my running shoes. Smile If you are going to use inserts, make sure you use ones for runners. Just throwing some random gel inserts into your shoes strike me as a quick way to hurt yourself or make a mess in your shoes (or both.)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I wear orthodotics made by a podiatrist (sp). I find them beneficial. However, it is recommended that you get used to wearing them. I remember I had to follow a progression each day in wearing them.
        JakeKnight

I now run with the Superfeet Green inserts. They've been a godsend. $40 bucks and they'll supposedly last through 3-4 pairs of shoes. But I wouldn't try just any old inserts, as Blaine said. Ask your doc or your shoe expert types at your running place.
          I wouldn't run without inserts, but I use the ones that come with my running shoes. Smile
          True story: I swap the Superfeet between shoes, and usually I remember to put the factory inserts back into whichever pair I'm not wearing ... but not always. And on yesterday's 14 mile run, I was sleep-deprived and a little hungover and grabbed the wrong pair of shoes as I headed out the door at 5 a.m. So I got to run 14 miles in the hills with no inserts at all. It was ... interesting. At first, they felt like slippers. But halfway through, I was feeling every stitch and every rock on the ground. By the end my feet felt like hamburger.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Sandi Sue

I also wear orthodics prescribed by a podiatrist. I was having foot problems because of overpronation issues (age related, ugh). They fixed it right away. It's all a matter of whether you need them or not. If you run without them and you're doing fine then so be it.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I use the green Superfeet and LOVE them! I have to have some sort of different insert for my shoes otherwise I get calf and lower back pain. I probably should go get custom orthotics but they're so expensive and for the past 3 years, the OTC ones have taken care of my problems. Terie
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

I now run with the Superfeet Green inserts. They've been a godsend. $40 bucks and they'll supposedly last through 3-4 pairs of shoes.
                My wife has been using those for a few years now, and they last usually 2 but sometimes 3 pairs for her.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I don't wear inserts, I wear Asics running shoes and I figure the manufacturer has invested millions of dollars in R&D. I don't think I could improve on their design.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

pitrunner

I now run with the Superfeet Green inserts. They've been a godsend. $40 bucks and they'll supposedly last through 3-4 pairs of shoes.
                    Good to know. I heart my superfeet greens. I've been getting new inserts each time I buy a new pair of shoes but it sounds like that isn't necessary. side question: do you think using inserts extends the life of your shoes at all?
                    xor

Using inserts does not extend the life of my shoes. Then again, everyone is different on their shoes. I have some crazy twisting action at my toe-off. So I wear out soles quickly. Inserts don't help.

JakeKnight

. side question: do you think using inserts extends the life of your shoes at all?
                        I dunno. I've actually been wondering if the opposite might be true. I'm ready for new shoes about 100 miles ahead of schedule. Then again, they're new models, so maybe it's the shoes' fault. I've got about 1000 miles on the Superfeet and they still feel great. I'm hoping for another 500 or so. We'll see. I truly don't own stock in the company, but they cured bad PF that had been with me for a year, and did it in about 2 weeks. I would marry them if I could.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JK, how did those inserts work out on your run the other day?
                          JakeKnight

JK, how did those inserts work out on your run the other day?
                            Apparently, they have to be with you - and actually inside the shoes - for maximum effectiveness. I don't remember reading that in the directions, so I'm sending a stern complaint letter. HighJackamungus! ===> What's the plan for tomorrow? You doin' the 5-k? Mileage before or after? E-mail. /Highjackamungus now extinct.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

5k - yay. Deciding between 12 at 5 or 6 at 6. Steeplechase start in either case. Special fancy inserts - nay
                              JakeKnight

5k - yay. Deciding between 12 at 5 or 6 at 6. Steeplechase start in either case. Special fancy inserts - nay
                                Why not skip all that and run after the 5k? Cuz there is drinking to be done this evening. Bud is making a final guest appearance. I'm very excited.