Longest Run Yet!! 18km (Read 1768 times)

C.J

RunningKidCJ

hey guys, I just did my longest run so far tonight. 18km - 1:37:24 It felt absolutely awesome. I worked hard in keeping my form the whole way. I was cruising pretty easy for about 12k then in the lst 6k everything started to niggle. The last 500m was terrible as there is a big hill and it seemed to never end. Tongue Overall i am happy with my effort, and i will defintaly be doing more of them!! Big grin
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Congrats - that's a great accomplishment! And next time you do it I'll bet it will feel a whole lot easier. Nice job!

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Congrats on a nice run. Those long ones will definitely get easier with time. Just a quick note on your training. Right now you are doing almost half your miles each week on a long run. Most people would suggest bringing that percentage down to about 30%. For instance, right now I am running 12 miles out of 40 for my long run. For you that would probably mean just start trying to fill in your off days with some short easy runs to increase your mileage slowly. This will help those long runs feel a whole lot easier. I know from personal experience.
        NoKenyan

Good effort. It takes physical and mental toughness to grit it out on the long runs. I would echo the comments about the ratio of long runs to total. Keep up the running and you'll be cruising between the wickets not to mention bowling those maidens over! Smile
            Many congratulations my friend! Keep it up!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

C.J

RunningKidCJ

Thanks everyone for your comments. Smile I have a question with my ratio of long runs to total. If my weekly kilometers is 30 (~19miles) does that mean that my long run should be shortened to about 10km (6miles)? if this is the case then 10k seems way to short. or does it mean i have to increase my weekly kilometers??? any info would be very great! thanksBig grin CJ

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

assuming you feel good I would increase your weekly km, probably the easiest way for you right now is to fill in your "off" days where you don't run. For instance, in the last 14 days in your log, you have 6 days off. If you just run 5K on 4 of those days (2 each week) instead of running 30K a week you are running 40K a week. Then a long run would be 13-14K
                C.J

RunningKidCJ

Ok cool thanks for the help! much appreciated!Big grin
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

While I agree with most of what Matt's trying to say, I would throw a word of caution in. Yes, you're 15. But 15 year olds can still get overuse injuries. (Been there, done that! Roll eyes ) Jumping from 30K with 2 rest days to 40K with 1 rest day per week is a big jump - one that might be best done over a period of several weeks. Don't do it all at once. You're a fast runner and you're having fun with it. Great! Don't mess it up by ramping up too quickly. And if it stops being fun, tone it down a bit rather than quitting. This sport is best done over a time period of decades, not months. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

While I agree with most of what Matt's trying to say, I would throw a word of caution in. Yes, you're 15. But 15 year olds can still get overuse injuries. (Been there, done that! Roll eyes ) Jumping from 30K with 2 rest days to 40K with 1 rest day per week is a big jump - one that might be best done over a period of several weeks. Don't do it all at once.
                      I thought I included a not all at once comment. It would be going from 3 rest days to 1 rest day a week, 5K each day. Change one rest day to a 5K and run that for a couple weeks. Then add the other.
                      C.J

RunningKidCJ

ok! cool! thank you very much for your help! Smile
                        amarrin1

good job with the long run. but i dont wanna bring u down or anything but putting down 18 miles for a long run is a bit extreme i think u need to build a base or ur gonna get injured..

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

good job with the long run. but i dont wanna bring u down or anything but putting down 18 miles for a long run is a bit extreme i think u need to build a base or ur gonna get injured..
                            It was 18K
                            C.J

RunningKidCJ

yeah 18k or 11.25 miles! I dont think im quite upto 18 miles just yet!Tongue
                              C.J

RunningKidCJ

Hey guys just a quick update, I completed my first half marathon training run yesterday. I was not planning on doing a half marathon, I was planning on doing a 18km long run, but at race pace. I prepared for the run like a race with a day off before, and good meals, and planned water stations. I felt really good before the run so i was expecting a reasonable time. I finished the first 11k in 51:33mins, and at this stage i was feeling great. I continued on and at 18k i was at about 83mins. I felt reasonably good at that stage so i altered my run slightly to the half marathon track. I finished the half in 98:16 (1hr38min16s). I was fairly proud of this result, seeing as it is my longest run yet and it was a good time. I really enjoyed the run, it was long enough to enjoy, but not too long to hate. The perfect distance. CJ