Teach me (Read 829 times)

Thanks. So then this question: can't I just hook my ATV directly into my TV? I have ports for three or four devices. That way I can have my cable box in the main, my DVD player in #2 and my ATV in #3. Or not?
    What kind of connections are on your TV? S-Video? Composite? RF? Component?

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks. So then this question: can't I just hook my ATV directly into my TV? I have ports for three or four devices. That way I can have my cable box in the main, my DVD player in #2 and my ATV in #3. Or not?
      What kind of ports do you have on the TV? If you don't have component video inputs, (red/green/blue), then the answer is no w/o an adapter. Five year old tv is likely to have one set of component inputs which are probably currently occupied by your DVD player -- in this case, you'll have to switch the DVD player to either S-video or composite inputs and put ATV on the RGB inputs. If your TV has no R/G/B inputs, then the next question is: Do you have a stereo receiver that accepts component input and has composite video out? That might do the trick. I understand the the desire to save money, but I will say that plunking down a lot of money on some kind of converter is not money well spent, IMHO. HD-compatible TV's are getting amazingly cheap, esp the sub 30" monitors, and it make more sense to apply converter money to a new TV. Do you have a Costco nearby? That's a way to walk out with an inexpensive 30" LCD monitor for less. BTW, best of luck with the newborn.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

To record shows from cable, you'd need to hook it into the AppleTV, then from ATV to the TV.
        AppleTv doesn't have inputs.

Vim

AppleTv doesn't have inputs.
          Thanks, just saw this after reading a bit more about it. Sorry to anyone that got the wrong idea! Seems like a huge waste to me then Tongue I guess I'm spoiled with my HTPC.
            Okay... seriously dude... If you want to stick with Apple, I suggest upgrading to a HDTV and getting a MacMini with some form of external HD tuner that works with VLC and perhaps one of the OS X PVRs. PVR Software for OS X EyeTV SageTV

Vim

Seems like a huge waste to me then Tongue I guess I'm spoiled with my HTPC.
              Agreed Wink

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Again, we are not TV folks and really don't want to spend much on this. The reason for the change is that we are already spending too much on cable that we don't use. The reason for the ATV is simply convenience; we can pull down movies when we want without paying ANY monthly fee, AND we can watch movies/pics/music that we already own. The reason for the switch has nothing to do with setting up a home entertainment system or getting high-quality pictures on a television. Sometimes I actually want to chuck everything. The TV has several "channels" for input, all of them are composite, although there is also one port for S Video and one port for Coaxial (both in the first channel I believe). I do not think there is component, but I need to check again. I do have an old stereo receiver leftover from college, the thing is huge. I would probably want to avoid bringing that out into the living room Smile If I do need to consider a cheap HDTV, what options are there? What is a good and inexpensive but reliable one, probably no need to be bigger than 30"?

Dave

Inexpensive means 720P which is short of "full HD" resolution (1080P). Not sure the price difference is worth it. From Newegg, you can get a 27" 720P refurbished Olevia set for right around $400. Probably your least expensive option in that size. Bear in mind that the actual picture size for standard resolution TV will either be much smaller than your old set (its a 16x9 so the picture size on a 4x3 picture may only be 23 or 24 inches) or stretched for the 16x9 format. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2102640411+138901997+1389027309&name=27%22 A 32" 1080P Sharp LCD from there is right at $1000. 32" 720P will run you around $600. My toshiba is looking better all the time Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was wrong. There is one input channel with component (five ports)! Wohoo!!
                      I was wrong. There is one input channel with component (five ports)! Wohoo!!
                      Are you going to give it a go?

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I think so. The device does not come out for another couple of weeks, and I may wait and let the first adopters get fried, see what they say. Maybe mid Feb or shortly thereafter. I also have to see if I should get the 160 gig or the 40 gig.

Dave

I'm pretty sure its the same as the previous model, just a software update. I think I may take the plunge.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm pretty sure its the same as the previous model, just a software update. I think I may take the plunge.
                            That is what I understand, but I figure I may as well wait until it gets some consumer reviews. Got a baby coming (in a few minutes!!) so I won't be watching much TV for a few weeks anyway.