Just in case you still have one sitting around from the Fall (Read 572 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent’s Pumpkin Pie* Ingredients: 1 pumpkin, about 3 pounds 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk 3 eggs 4 tsp vanilla 5 ounces (by volume) white sugar, or more to taste 6 ounces (by volume) brown sugar, or more to taste 7 tsp pumpkin pie spices, or more to taste** To Do: - Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds and bake cut side up on a cookie sheet at 450 degrees for about an hour. Then cool and scoop out the soft pumpkin. - Drain pumpkin in a colander for about an hour. - Mix all the ingredients together, holding out one cup of pumpkin. Puree in a food processor. Then mix in the remaining pumpkin. - Place into a pie crust, homemade if possible. - Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then 350 degrees until done. The Pie is done when it is cracking on top and the crust is approaching a mahogany brown color. - Cool thoroughly and enjoy. * or feel free to use butternut squash, or cushaw, or acorn squash, or really just about any winter melon that fits your fancy. ** I mix my own by grinding together orange peel, lots of cinnamon, some crystallized ginger, allspice and nutmeg, but you can also use the store-bought stuff.
      Yummmm! I just made pumpkin cookies the other day- with canned pumpkin though. I also copied this into the forum A-Z Recipes! Thanks! Smile
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Canned pumpkin? What is that?
          Canned pumpkin? What is that?
          Fast! Big grin Libby's, Libby's, Libby's on the label, label, label! It's all pure. One of the few things in my pantry I can say that about! Weird thing about your post is we just threw my son's pumpkin out into the woods from Halloween. He'd decorated it with foam cut-outs last fall. If it wasn't squishy on the outside, do you think I could have used it? Can you use any pumpkin like they sell at Halloween, or should you use "baking" ones like I see in the stores during that time? I'm thinking that's a gimmick, but I'm not a pumpkin expert.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can use any winter squash or any pumpkin. The big jackolantern pumpkins tend to be a bit more watery and have less flavor, but they work fine. They are not a whole lot slower than working with the canned stuff because most of the prep time is going on while you are doing something else (i.e., it is in the oven or in the collander, and you can forget about the pumpkin while it is there). As long as it is firm on the outside and feels heavy, it should be fine. I find the best flavored pumpkins / squash are these: Jarrahdale: Hubbard (blue here, also comes in orange and green): Cushaw (orange here, also comes in green stripes): Cinderella:
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And this too, Long Island Cheese:
                And this too, Long Island Cheese:
                Stop Trent, please. I'm struggling, because one leg wants to sit in the chair and the other leg wants to go to the store and get the stuff to make a pumpkin pie! I don't have the recipe, but my brother-in-law (a chef) is making his "famous" pumpkin cheesecake next weekend. mmmm mmmm. I can see that I'm going to have to do a few extra miles this week. I've always used the canned too, but I think I'm going to try your recipe next time.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I'm definately going to have to start taking advantage of our farmer's market here in town. Now that we've "settled down" after moving, etc., we'll hopefully have some more time for things like this. I intentionally had a huge counter built so that I could bake till my heart's content, as well as have my kids helping me too. They love to help me in the kitchen! Plus, it makes them more likely to eat whatever it is if they've helped make it! Bonkin, pumpkin cheesecake sounds really good too! (Steal the recipe!)