It figures... (Read 829 times)

Timbodeener

Been training all winter long to run the Cherry Blossom 10-mile race next Sunday and had been feeling pretty good for the most part. Well...today 4 miles into my 5-mile run I am stopped dead in my tracks by a sharp pain in the middle of my left hamstring. I had to walk the last mile home because I could tell it was going to hurt to try and run again. I have never had trouble with my hamstrings in my life and now one week out from my big race it hurts! I did stop as soon as I felt the sharp pain and was able to walk home without too much trouble....I guess my questions is this: Do you think it would be possible to still run the race if the pain eases up over the next few days or am I pretty much screwed for next Sunday? Right now (3 hours after my run) is is sore and feels like a deep charley horse....I can walk on it but I know it's there. Tim
      I'd see how it is in a day or so. May be just a cramp or minor pull. I hope rest does it right. Angler, huh? Where in PA do you fish? I live in Pittsburgh & fish around here, Erie and State College a lot.
        I've had a niggly left quaddie for the last few days and when I saw my masseuse on Friday I asked him if I should be running on it. His comment basically was "If it hurts when you run, no. If it doesn't hurt, go for your life". I've managed to run 12kms, 15kms & another 12km since and it's been pain-free. Still niggly, but no pain. That may be the best indication for you. Give it some rest, ice it regularly, maybe even a massage, for a couple of days, and if it hurts don't run. Fingers crossed for you Smile
        ymmv

if it were me, i'd rest it till saturday, go for a short jog then to see how you feel, and if its okay, do the race without worrying about taking the last week off. a deep tissue massage might be nice this week, too.

SMART Approach

I am hoping it is a cramp but your description of sharp immediate pain makes me feel like you tweaked or slightly pulled the muscle. If you have no pain on walking or bringing heel to butt, then it will be a 1-2 week injury, maybe less. Ice regularly and keep active but don't run if it hurts to run. Give running a try in 2-3 days. Just a short run but get it nice and warm beforehand. Hot bath or hot heating pad. Also do some active dynamic movement before running like walking while reach for toe in front of you as you lift leg. Walk while lifting heals high etc. If A ok, then race is possible but warm up as described above first but if in doubt do not take this risk. It could screw you up for weeks. Note: Be careful with stretching. Many who get muscle pulls feel they have to stretch like crazy. This can be counterproductive. Very mild stretching of a warm muscle is ok but keep it mild.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I've had a niggly left quaddie for the last few days and when I saw my masseuse on Friday I asked him if I should be running on it. His comment basically was "If it hurts when you run, no. If it doesn't hurt, go for your life". I've managed to run 12kms, 15kms & another 12km since and it's been pain-free. Still niggly, but no pain. That may be the best indication for you. Give it some rest, ice it regularly, maybe even a massage, for a couple of days, and if it hurts don't run. Fingers crossed for you Smile
              What is niggly?
                What is niggly?
                Sorry....that's probably an Aussie-ism. You know when you've slightly pulled a muscle and it doesn't hurt, but you still know you've done something coz you can just feel it's not right. Allwords.com described niggle as 'a minor complaint or problem'
                Timbodeener

Thanks for the advice everyone....it's still sore this morning but does feel slightly better. I'll rest it and see how it feels over the next few days. I have a foam roller and The Stick so I think I'll do some self-massage over the next few days as well. I always stretch the hammys after runs but I'll go real gentle on the stretching.... It's funny because I've alway prided myself on how flexible my hamstrings are....and the left one (the sore one) was always more flexible than my right one!! I am hoping that it is a muscle spasm and not a pull or tear. I hope I can still do the run even if I don't give it max effort....it's going to be a pretty big "family shindig" with 6 of us running the 10-miler and 4 or 5 relatives running the 5K including my 14 year old daughter who will be running her first ever race. Big party afterwards too Big grin
                  Timbodeener

Angler, huh? Where in PA do you fish? I live in Pittsburgh & fish around here, Erie and State College a lot.
                    Yep...I fly fish the Little Juniata River mostly because I live close but I do get to Spring Creek in State College and Penns Creek a few times every year. In fact, this past weekend I got invited to spend Saturday and Sunday fishing the private Spruce Creek Rod and Gun Club waters and stayed overnight at the lodge....it was great and we caught some nice fish. I still prefer fishing for wild or stream bred trout more than catching big fat stockies but it was still fun! I did some thinking after posting about my hammy problem last night and I remembered that I slipped on some mud along the bank of Spruce Creek yesterday and ended up actually falling into the stream along the edge...no big deal since I had waders on but I think I possibly tweaked my hammy then trying to avoid the fall....it didn't hurt then but that was the only thing I could think of that may have caused the issue. Anyway, thanks for the reply and good luck fishing this year! Tim
                      We should "hook up." Shoot me an e-mail if you want: dnephin@verizon.net. I may go to Spruce on Friday. Public section. That or steel. Never went for steel in the spring. I also need to learn the little J. Never done great there, but only fished it a few times. Funny thing about the fancy water on Spruce: The upstream end/start ain't too well marked. No cable. Last year, I pounded some monsters on a yard sale bamboo I had restored. A blast. Was I in fancy water? Hmm? Oh, and I hope hearing about the slip means the leg is even more minor. Reminds me, I need new wading boots. I fished Laurel Hill yesterday and my felt came off.
                      Timbodeener

We should "hook up." Shoot me an e-mail if you want: dnephin@verizon.net. I may go to Spruce on Friday. Public section. That or steel. Never went for steel in the spring. I also need to learn the little J. Never done great there, but only fished it a few times.
                        Absolutely! I love fishing the Little J and it certainly can be challenging some days but I'd be happy to show you a couple of my favorite spots.....just not my "double secret spot" Wink The best times to fish the LJR are during the Grannon and Sulpher hatches so shoot me an email at <email> and we'll set something up.</email>
                          Yep...I fly fish the Little Juniata River
                          Hey, I've fished there! My dad's family has lived in the Lewistown area all of my life.

Michelle

Fly or other tackle? I think you may have fished a different area, though. This area is near the town of Spruce Creek. I think near Lewistown is a bass fishery. Either way: Cool, not enough women anglers.
                              Fly or other tackle? I think you may have fished a different area, though. This area is near the town of Spruce Creek. I think near Lewistown is a bass fishery. Either way: Cool, not enough women anglers.
                              Not fly fishing, my dad did some of that, but I didn't. Last time I went fishing in that area I was about 15 years old. My dad had me baiting my own hook by the time I was 4. My mom wasn't very happy about that. Roll eyes My cousins all still fish (and hunt) like crazy but I haven't been a part of it for years. I do remember out-fishing my big brother a few times, either more or bigger fish. Big grin Here's my dad introducing my daughter to her first fish...(in North Carolina some years back). She out-fished her brothers that day, it was funny.

Michelle

Timbodeener

Hi Missippi, thats cool...dnephin is right...the Juniata is more of a warm water river (smallmouth bass and such) the Little Juniata where I fish is a cold water stream and supports a healthy population of trout. The "Little J" meets with the Raystown Branch of the Juniata to form the Juniata River that flows through Lewistown. Both rivers are excellent fisheries...just different types. Girls always out fish the boys.....I don't know why that is....maybe the boys get a little distracted and tend to watch the girs fish a little too much Blush