Experienced Marathoners - Let's Talk about your First Time (Read 279 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so my first marathon is less than 3 weeks away (the Monumental) and I am just curious about everyone's experiences with their first marathon training, most of all their taper experience. Looking back on your first marathon, do you think that your taper helped you or hurt you, do you think you could have done things smarter or less, or more?

I want to hear it all - The Good, The Bad and yes, THE UGLY 

Also, does anybody else make a list of everything they need when going out of town for a race, normally something like 13.1 or longer?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Julia1971

My first marathon was in March 2010.  Looking back, my taper was pretty good.  I arrived at the starting line rested and confident.  I don't think I would do anything differently.

I have a packing list for out of town marathons.  I think it helps cut down on the anxiety.  If I check everything off, I'm good.

Good luck!  Just remember to keep running.  A bunch of people with medals will tell you when to stop.

joescott

Congrats on the recent PR!

My first marathon I was an undertrained, ignorant disaster, and at the time I said I would never do another one.

However, I've learned a few things since then, and for me I've learned that a little less taper (maybe 10 days - 2 weeks) is far better than more (the traditional 3 weeks).  I used to be very fastidious about keeping a list of everything I needed, but in recent years I've just more gone with the flow and so far I haven't forgotten anything absolutely essential.  I have settled on a pretty rigidly scheduled race morning routine, though, that seems to work well for me.  That came from a little bit of advice and a lot of trial and error!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

an amazing likeness

Some first marathon prep advise in this RA group...you probably don't want to do these.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I can't remember what I did to taper for my first marathon. But my two best marathons were after a 2-week taper. As for packing for an out-of-town marathon, I have a very long list of what to bring. I usually bring more stuff than I will need just so I have options depending on how the weather turns. It is much more reassuring for me to know that I have anything I might need with me (arm warmers, gloves, hats, earband, shorts and capris, sleeveless and short-sleeved shirt, gels of all flavors, etc.) than to worry about needing the one thing that I didn't bring.

Best advice I've followed is to never try anything new on race day -- even a different flavor gel (that was a disaster!). So I usually spend the 2 weeks before the race trying out all the gear I think I might use and deciding on my clothing options. That's the time to figure out if the bib strap with the little loops to hold gels actually stays in place after more than 5 miles or whether wearing arm warmers for the first 2 miles on a chilly morning is really worth it. I also use the time to scout out thrift shops for cheap throw-away clothes. At many large races there is a good amount of waiting time in villages and corrals before the start and it can be pretty cold. I have found that a pair of sweat pants and a jacket to wear while waiting is essential!

If I have the chance, I also do a "practice run" in the week before the race. I eat what I plan to eat the morning of the race and at the time I would be eating, I start my run at the race time, I wear my expected race day clothes and gear, and then I run about 4 miles with 2 miles at race pace. It makes me feel psychologically prepared and I figure I can make adjustments before the race if I need to.

Good luck!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks guys Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Jeff F

Free Beer

My first marathon was a disaster...

My only thought; what you do for a taper will have little to do with the outcome, it is what you did prior to the taper that will have the greatest impact.  Don't overthink it...

SubDood

My first marathon was a training disaster that turned out ok. It was 1994, and I made up my own plan that summer:

Run some, mostly too fast, sometimes way too fast.

Over just 16 weeks, my longest run was about 15 miles. Then, 2 weeks before the marathon, I played softball and overdid it running the bases. My legs were very stiff and sore (and probably mildly strained) from softball (!) and I really took it easy those last 2 weeks. I didn't know what a "taper" was then, and I didn't like the idea of doing so little so close to the race.  Anyhow, race day came, it was about 40 degrees and drizzling, and I ran a 3:11:00.  My legs cramped up immediately after I finished and left me writhing on the ground. I had great difficulty walking for several days after that.  But that was my marathon PR for 19 years.

Oh, to be young and stupid again! (Old and stupid is no fun at all.)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, my training went great. I actually feel really confident on how my first marathon training cycle has gone, it is the taper where I fear I shall lose my mind lol.

PRs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My first marathon was a training disaster that turned out ok. It was 1994, and I made up my own plan that summer:

Run some, mostly too fast, sometimes way too fast.

This seems a popular plan for beginners Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

My first marathon was Detroit 2000.  My taper was fine, I just went out too fast.  I did not realize that the first half of a marathon is a hobby jog -- I had a grand total of one race, a HM, over 10K, under my belt -- and went out for low-2:40s and crashed hard to 2:53.

My vision was blacking out due to low glucose on the finish straight.  Another hundred yards or so and I would simply have blacked out and been carried off to the med tent as a DNF.  Fun times.

MTA:  I'll be at Monumental.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Oh, to be young and stupid again! (Old and stupid is no fun at all.)

Word. My embarrassingly undertrained first marathon experience happened at age 47.

Dave

Member Since 2008

In my opinion, you can't get enough of a tapor for your first marathon.  And the key is don't start off fast.  That's easier said than done with the the crowd and the excitement.  Just soak it all in and enjoy.  Oh yes,  The most important thing...  Have an ice bath and a quart of chocolate milk within an hour after the race..

DaBurger

My first marathon was Detroit 2000.  My taper was fine, I just went out too fast.  I did not realize that the first half of a marathon is a hobby jog -- I had a grand total of one race, a HM, over 10K, under my belt -- and went out for low-2:40s and crashed hard to 2:53.

My vision was blacking out due to low glucose on the finish straight.  Another hundred yards or so and I would simply have blacked out and been carried off to the med tent as a DNF.  Fun times.

MTA:  I'll be at Monumental.

gdmnt Spaniel, I was doing just fine staying relaxed and confident with NY coming up, then you post this :P Basically my worst nightmare this fall to the letter.

Know thyself.

Feeling the growl again

gdmnt Spaniel, I was doing just fine staying relaxed and confident with NY coming up, then you post this :P Basically my worst nightmare this fall to the letter.

Hahaha.  I do my best to separate the mentally tough from the not.  You've got more experience and a website full of people to tell you how not to screw it up.  I didn't have that.  You'll be fine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills