Take your log to the doc! (Read 818 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, guys! One of the great things about having a running log like this is it lets you print out and take with you what you've been up to when you have to go visit the doc... Black eye Wish I didn't know... Wink But in general docs seem to appreciate being able to see in graphs and numbers just what you've been doing to hurt yourself... I mean to exercise... well, you know what I mean...

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I went to see my doc last Winter. I told him that I had run 5 marathons during the year since my previous visit. Nothing. It did not phase him in the least. He is not a runner, and he just had no concept of what all the miles meant. Maybe a graph would have made it easier Big grin
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He is not a runner, and he just had no concept of what all the miles meant. Maybe a graph would have made it easier Big grin
        This makes me chuckle. I had a couple of people congratulate me on finishing my first "marathon" after I ran my 5k last weekend. I was sorta embarrassed to point out that a 5k is only about 3 miles and a marathon is over 26.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Assuming he knew how long a marathon was (big assumption, I know!) I bet the doc thought 5 marathons meant you'd run a total of 130ish miles alltogether in the year... You know - 26 for each one. That's not so bad...

Roads were made for journeys...

vicentefrijole

I told him that I had run 5 marathons during the year since my previous visit. Nothing....
            That's absolutley shameful! Angry It's amazing how little some health professionals know about running! To some degree, it's understandable, as there are somethings that can't really be fully comprehended until you experience them (like the gnawing desire to keep running even when you know you're injured). But sometimes it is ridiculous... I had a MD lecture me about the negative health effects of distance running (not kidding) and I could still smell the cigarettes on her breath. However, when you find a doctor who is a runner/swimmer/cyclist, they are amazingly understanding and helpful!
              This makes me chuckle. I had a couple of people congratulate me on finishing my first "marathon" after I ran my 5k last weekend. I was sorta embarrassed to point out that a 5k is only about 3 miles and a marathon is over 26.... k
              Yeah--when people at my church (who know I am running one per month this year) hear I just finished a marathon, some still ask "So how far was this one?". I figure since they don't know (or don't get it), I'm tempted to tell them "100 miles". But, I don't. BTW--never be embarrassed about any distance you run (and I know you aren't). The fact is, you're running. And any distance puts you in a small percentage of the population. Personally, I admire anyone that runs any distance at any pace.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48