Rate my Training Plan (Read 126 times)

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

Hey Nobby, you said:

"Without checking what you had done specifically, it's hard to comment much but if your approach is basically to do the same thing week in week out and, hopefully (logically thinking) you'll improve, and if the approach is the correct one, you'll already be showing legitimate improvement and you wouldn't be asking questions here."

I am definitely feeling better than I've ever felt during this training cycle.  My tempo paces are gradually increasing, my recovery doesn't take as long as it used to, and I'm staying disciplined on my easy/recovery days.  I am learning to defer to those that are wiser and that is why I asked these questions.  Thank you for your feedback.

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

Julia1971

I really appreciate the responses and feedback.

Not to veer to far off topic but can anyone link to a calculator that figures out MGP + 10%, etc.?

Do you own Advanced Marathoning 2d ed?  If so, there's a chart on page 16.  For an 8:00 pace, which I think is what you're shooting for, MP+20% is 9:36 and MP+10% is 8:48.

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

My main negative was point #1 on Jeff's list.  It seemed like a lot fast-ish running...  I don't have Advanced Marathoning handy, but I've used his plans for almost all my marathons.  I'm pretty sure he calls tempo pace 15K-HM pace.  So, I think you're doing two "tempos" a week in your version, which is a lot.  I would let that Wednesday run just be a medium run.

I do almost all my medium and long runs as "progression runs" in the nature Pfitz calls for - a third or so of the miles at MP+20% and a third or so miles at MP+10%.  I'm not sure I would call them "fast finish", though, because it's not close to goal marathon or half marathon pace.  But, for me anyway, it's not exactly conversational pace, either.

But, on the positive, I agree with RunHarrietRun, that your marathon goal might be soft.  But, there's plenty of time to see if that's true.  Happy running!

What do you think about pushing the tempo runs to the middle of Wednesday's 12 miler and letting Monday's 10 be a progression?  Thank you for the feedback!

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

Do you own Advanced Marathoning 2d ed?  If so, there's a chart on page 16.  For an 8:00 pace, which I think is what you're shooting for, MP+20% is 9:36 and MP+10% is 8:48.

I don't own it.  Much appreciated!