Long runs = funny taste in mouth...what is that? (Read 2739 times)

Anyone else experience this? On my longer runs I get an odd taste in my mouth near the end of the runs. This morning I ran 16 and near the end it was really odd...the taste...hard to describe...but not pleasant...
    If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JakeKnight

Anyone else experience this? On my longer runs I get an odd taste in my mouth near the end of the runs. This morning I ran 16 and near the end it was really odd...the taste...hard to describe...but not pleasant...
      That's definitely a new one. I even Googled around a bit to see if I could find you an answer, without success. Does this happen on *every* long run? Are you doing something different on long runs (like maybe scarfing down Gu)? Can you be a little more specific on the taste?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

funny taste?, it could be the spit sitting in your mouth for too long and having it get dry, thats the only thing i could come up with, i usually get spit that forms around the corners of my lips, thats the closest thing ive gotten

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

Prophet!

i get some sort of salty/gatorady taste in my last few miles (did my 16 miles on friday)...something like that maybe ???
            Thanks for your thoughts...I know...this is an odd one. But, the taste is metallic in nature...bitter even. I chew gum when I run always...so, it even overpowers the gum. I normally drink gatorade or powerade before runs and hit water fountains along my routes. On both 16's, I ate Clif Shot Blocks at 8 miles. I am not sure if this is performance hindering. I am just wondering if it is a sign that there is something missing in my fueling or daily nutrition...or something in the water fountains of which I should be concerned... but, yeah, I really only notice it on long runs...just makes me wonder if my body is running out of something and the taste is a sign...ya know? Thanks for your help all!!!
            If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden

You'll ruin your knees!

It could be that on your long runs, your body is breaking down fats for energy and you are experiencing ketosis. Read here http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/stk151092.asp?navbar=hw7738 for more information. Perhaps carrying water with you rather than relying on fountains would be advisable. Anyway, probably not a big deal, but just my $.02. Good job on the long runs! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Maybe you inhaled a bug.
                vicentefrijole

Hey.. that's very interesting. Does it change if it's very hot vs very cold out? Just curious. When I do a really tough speed workout or run a 5K competitevly, I've noticed that my teeth hurt... kind of feels like lactic acid in the gums. What you describe sounds different, but perhaps related? But I don't get it on my long runs. Anyways, let us know if you figure it out... Big grin
                  Scout7

I vote on the ketosis. I've met people who say they smell ammonia on longer runs, too.
                      I think there might be something to that Ketosis thing. I was admitted to the hospital a couple times during my pregnancy for severe dehydration and each time I had that bitter-y, metallic-y taste in my mouth. Are you drinking plenty of water throughout the day? You might want to up your hydration before and during your runs and see if that makes a difference. Teresa
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Folks, to develop ketones, your body has got to have no ability to metabolize sugars / carbs or have no carbs left in your body. This is very very hard to do with a normal diet and while taking gatorade or other carb-containing food & drink while running. Unless you have diabetes. But ketosis from diabetes does not get better when you stop running. Unless you have diabetes or are on a strict Adkins diet, this is not likely ketosis. Dehydration does not cause ketosis. Ketosis is common in dehydrated people who are dehydrated from illness because they have not been eating and are carb depleted. This is probably gastroesophageal reflux.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Unless you have diabetes or are on a strict Adkins diet, this is not likely ketosis.
                          I'd have to agree. I did pretty strict Atkins for several years and had great success with it (backroadrunner will attest to this), but since I started running I had to increase my carbs to "maintenance" levels or even a bit higher. As my long runs got progressively longer I had a few bonking episodes that I think were in part to learning what my minimum carb intake needed to be. I was generally in the range of 50-100 net/day for a while (mainly from fruit and veggie sources), which was adequate for 5 or fewer miles, but for longer runs I had to get more whole grains in. This Winter I will likely have to start watching my carbs closer, again, as I am struggling with my weight due to flaky blood sugar issues and wanting to eat everything in sight. Finding that happy level of carbs can be tricky for diabetics and hypoglycemics, alike. But I do think if you were in ketosis that you'd not be able to do a longer run without some major bonking issues. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

This is probably gastroesophageal reflux.
                            Or, as us reg'lar unedumakated folks might say ... you just done puked up in your mouth a bit ... I think. Or maybe you sprained your esophogus. Definitely one of those. By the way ... quick, say "gastroesophageal reflux" five times fast. The results are kind of funny. Make sure no small children are present. -------- On a semi-serious note - have you considered that the chewing gum might be the problem? After sixteen miles, I'd guess the gum wouldn't be tasting too fresh. Tight lipped

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

Unless you have diabetes or are on a strict Adkins diet, this is not likely ketosis.
                              Maybe so, you guys are a lot smarter than me on this stuff. I followed a diet once called Protien Power that focused on low carbs and lot's of protien and non-sugared drinks (read water). The ketosis was noticable, just as you point out. Since then, I have noticed the same side-affect when I load up on water and/or have a protien-heavy series of meals. I have assumed it was the same cause, perhaps I am wrong...my diet is nowhere near what someone would call normal. Is it a bad assumption to think that long, strenuous workouts are "fat-burning"??? I am probably just trying to make a logic leap that just isn't there. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)