Taking breaks mid-run? (Read 303 times)

J3ssiew

I have been wondering for some time now whether there is any difference in running say 6 miles straight, or running 3 miles, taking a half hour break and then running another 3.

I am guessing that running 6 miles straight is better for working on stamina, but sometimes I will stop in the middle of a run to do some calisthenics (or even just rest in the park and people watch), before I run home and I wondered if there was much of a difference in calories burned, muscle gained or other benefits for your fitness.

Appreciate your expert thoughts!

an amazing likeness

You are right, 2 x 3m is not the same as 1 x 6mi in terms of building endurance for distance running.  It is the same in calories, and probably general fitness impacts.

Check out this topic in the General Running section covering much the same question.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

brianogilvie

Greetings, Earthlings!

If you run 3 miles, do calisthenics, and then run 3 more, it is less effective for running-specific endurance than running 6 miles continuously, but it's equally good for your overall cardiovascular fitness (presuming equal effort), or even better depending on how long you do calisthenics.

If you people-watch, it's less effective if you run the same pace. But it could be more effective if you run each 3-mile segment at a pace that you can comfortably sustain for 3 miles but not for 6. It won't build endurance but it could help improve lactate threshold, speed at VO2max, and other performance metrics.