New PR- 20K (Read 409 times)

Kimmie

Oh my goodness.... i'm so excited I just have to write about this one. This is called the Leesburg 20K and it's run mostly on the W& OD trail- a converted rails to trails. Last year I ran this race, and given that it was August and I think in the 80s or something, I didn't do very well. I ran a 2:10, which is not that good for me. I had also been having some problems with low iron levels which I eventually got that figured out at the beginning of this year. So, my training has been going well this year. I have been noticing more energy, I think mostly in part to figuring out the iron issue. When talk about this race came up in my running group, I debated. I was SO miserable last year and I just didn't want to mess with it . But I knew that this morning was supposed to be only in the high 70s and I also wanted some kind of redemption. My time: 1:42:30. I can't even believe it. I'm ecstatic. I feel like I ran I a good race, negative splits. The last miles were at a 7:00 min. pace which probably means that I started too slow, but I didn't want a repeat performance of last year. I knew I would do better than last year, but I wasn't expecting a 28 minute PR. ( big happy sigh) This race is about 1600 people and starts on a road along with a 10K, so it's pretty crowded. About a 1/4 mile into it, someone stepped on the back on my shoe and it went flying off behind me into the crowd of runners. That's never happened to me before. I had to wade through and apologize and try to get my shoe on- off to the side and then get going again. So weird, but my fault for obviously not tightening my laces enough. Really happy.... Smile Thanks for letting me share.... It's always nice to "tell" people that will understand.
      Thats a tough distance to run......GREAT JOB - and nice improvement.....I would be very happy with that run too.......Way to go.... Clowning around

Champions are made when no one is watching

Nice!!!! Especially since you had to go find your shoe Big grin Congrats!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Great race Kimmie, It's no wonder you are bubbling over with excitement. You just beat your 10k PR pace going twice as far! Now that is progress. Outstanding!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Kimmie

Thanks, everyone. Even with the nice weather I was surprised that I ran this pace. Next race: the Parks Half Marathon.
            redleaf

yippie!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362