Screws in your shoes? (Read 1182 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I wanted to title this "To screw or not to screw" but thought it might attract the wrong kind of attention! I just read an article on putting screws in the bottom of your shoes for running in slick conditions. It sounds reasonable, and the price is perfect! But I'm wondering if it just destroys your shoes, makes your feet/legs hurt, and/or any other potential negative side effects screws might cause. Has anyone done this, and if so, do you have any thoughts you could share on it?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Imminent Catastrophe

If you screw them in too far it could really cause problems Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Here's a product that doesn't ruin your shoes http://www.revelsports.com/yaktrax.asp I bought a different product (same idea) that had the small screws in the bottom of the rubber pullover. Got it at Meijers for about $10. They work ok, but, I rarely use them.

Yaktrax or stabilicers achieve the same thing for more money and less shoe damage. However, screws are fine. 3/8" or 1/2" sheetmetal screws are best - don't use them on racers that have thin soles. Just be sure to put them at the thickest part of your shoe, and avoid any air or gel pockets that your shoes may have. It's easier to use a drill than a screwdriver. You'll lose a few here and there, but in the spring you can just take them out. Your shoes may not last quite as long this way, but if you use an older pair that wouldn't last the winter anyway its an easy way to make yourself a little safer. Note that the head of the screw is what goes into the ground, and that the point goes into the shoe towards your foot.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Marquess of Utopia

I've been running in the screwed shoes the last week and a half. I actually prefer them over my $120 Ice Bug Shoes. I use 3/8” in the front and 1/2” in the back.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mikeymike

I've never done this though I've thought about it many times. The issue I have is that I rarely have a run that is entirely on ice and snow. Even the day of or day after a storm, a good portion of most runs winds up being on bare or just wet pavement. And really I don't have much problem running on ice/snow without screws so it's never been a big enough of a problem that I'd bother. I doubt it would ruin your shoes, though. Seems removing a 3/8" sheet metal screw would leave the shoe pretty much back to the way it was before you screwed it.

Runners run

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks for the insight gang! Blaine, I've read your website re:Stabilicers and have considered them too, but like Mike said, I rarely have a need for them over an entire run. On my normal 4 and 5 mile routes at work there are portions that require running on sidewalks that are usually slick. They may have a thin layer of snow over ice and I've nearly busted my arse whilst travering said terrain. For the most part though, my runs are in the road and tend to be mostly just wet. So if I do have the "screwed shoe", how is it running in them when there's essentially just pavement w/out snow/ice? I'm leaning toward just HTFU and being careful when I'm out there, but there are times when I think it's stupid to not at least try to find a better solution.

Think Whirled Peas

Here's a product that doesn't ruin your shoes http://www.revelsports.com/yaktrax.asp I bought a different product (same idea) that had the small screws in the bottom of the rubber pullover. Got it at Meijers for about $10. They work ok, but, I rarely use them.
                  Hey, THANKS for the tip! I may have to give these a try for the money! hmm...

So if I do have the "screwed shoe", how is it running in them when there's essentially just pavement w/out snow/ice?
                    It's a little annoying, but not much different than not having them. A lot of times I would carry the stabilicers until I got to the trail I was running on and would put them on my feet then. Those runs tended to be a mile roads, 4 or 5 miles on ice, and then a mile roads.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Respect - WMO

How about you run with regular trainers and take a spill every once in a while. This product would be a "too casual of a runner product" for me. Confused
                      "Why Run?. . . Why Breathe?

Go Pre!

I ran last night with screws in shoes after a big snowfall. Crossed many different types of terrain including lightly packed snow, hard packed snow and deep snow as well as asphalt where the roads had been salted. Worked out quite well. 3/8" hex screws. I had no discomfort at all. Dave

Another Passion

I screwed my shoes today, but wasn't able to get out for a run in them yet. Perhaps (hopefully) tomorrow. Glad your's worked out well for ya Dave.

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

seagar

I've used an older pair of running shoes last year and made a pair of "screw shoes". They worked really well for ice and snow but unfortunately are slippery when you hit dry pavement. Think about it....you are running an a much smaller surface area, (dozen sheet metal screw heads), and it's just about metal on concrete or asphalt. I run in ALL weather conditions but this year I may end up using a nordic trac indoors when the sidewalks are ice covered.

Another Passion

I used my screwed shoes this afternoon and they worked awesome on the ice and packed snow. Of course running in the slushy snow is like running in pudding, but nothing would help that short of a dog sled team and sled. Thanks for the article with photo Trent, it helped a ton! Sea... I only put enough sheet metal screws in to give me some bite and the shoes were awesome on the pavement as well. No sliding of skidding whatsoever on the pavement. Big grin

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com