Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

2 solid weeks for me.

51 miles, with 1 key workout (5 x 3on/3off @ 5:27/7:30 - kind of a reintro to speed after a long time with no workouts)

56 miles with 1 3m tempo (surprised myself here at just a little slower than pr pace), 1 fartlek (10x 2on/1off), and a nice moderate 10 today.

First check-in race will be 2/10 -  a pretty flat course, that hopefully I can get on the right side of 17:30 and get started down the ladder a bit.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    J-L-C

I'll jump in this thread as well.

I actually hope to go sub 17 for the first time next Sunday, so I'll take my first real crack at it then. I ran 17:16 in December which was a 1 minute + PR over my spring 5ks.

Racked up 75ish miles this week, biggest week ever. Had a 10k tempo earlier this week in 38:45 and yesterday did a moderate 5x1k workout yesterday where I was running 3:30-3:32 kms off 200m recoveries. Gonna try another 10k tempo tomorrow, might do it on some hills, though.

Feeling good so far and recovering well, though I've packed on 6-7 lbs in the last month. Hope that's not going to have too much of an impact, but at this point of the year I'm eating a bit more to try and stay healthy rather than tackle my hardest training ever while trying to cut weight.

17:15 for me yesterday - solid early season effort and nice even splits, am already feeling strong from my highest ever couple of weeks, but lacked any zip at this early stage of the training cycle.

kcam

17:15 for me yesterday - solid early season effort and nice even splits, am already feeling strong from my highest ever couple of weeks, but lacked any zip at this early stage of the training cycle.

Robin, nice start. You were so close last year, just a good break here or there and you'd have had it.  Keep on keepin on.

Yeah! 90 mile week closing with a solid 5k.. Thats how you do.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Thanks Ken/Parklife - onwards and upwards.

J-L-C

I actually hope to go sub 17 for the first time next Sunday, so I'll take my first real crack at it then. I ran 17:16 in December which was a 1 minute + PR over my spring 5ks.

Mission complete!

Ran 16:48 for 3rd place in my 5k today. Super excited about that. Splits were  (3:19, 3:23, 3:23, 3:23, 3:20). so I was dialed in well enough. The last km had 600m of uphill so that was diabolical, but managed to suffer through it okay.

Last week was my highest ever week, 122 km (~76 miles) and I'm running ~116 km (~72 miles) this week, so not really any sort of taper.

Last Saturday I did a 5x1k workout at ~10k pace and averaged 3:31/km with ~56s,. 200m recoveries and that was tough trying to do it at the end of that high volume week.

I recovered decently enough by Monday though and managed to crank out a solid 10k tempo divided up into 6.8k with 2x up a big hill and 3.2k on the track. Total time was ~38:10. Then had a moderate VO2 max session on Thursday of 5x300s with 200m recovery.

So a few solid workouts, nothing overly strenuous, a good volume of running and a shiny new PR.  Very happy now!

Next 5k is in February and I'm looking for a low or sub 16:30. Ultimate spring 5k goal is sub 16:20 or even better. .

mikeymike

Nice job, JLC. I had a feeling you were just passing through. Keep it rolling.

Runners run

Yup impressive JLC - if that was the year opener you should be able to bring that down sub 16:30 without too much trouble.

First (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) graduate of sub 17 in 2013, congratulations! Keep us posted on your assault on 16:30!

joescott

Hi guys.  I'd like to join the assault this year.  I just squeaked under back in October, but I'd like to go much faster this spring.  Probably I won't make a serious attempt until after April, but I'll be interested watch others' progress in the mean time.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

J-L-C

Thanks guys. Will do. Gonna train the guns on a sub 16:30 and hope I can finally grab that coveted first win in the process.

I really like the idea behind threads like this. I do all of my training alone (have done all of  two group runs in my entire life) so it's cool to see the workouts and progressions of others and share in the experiences. Keeps things a lot more interesting.

I throw my hat in for this during 2013 as well.

Went 17:17 late last spring.    Need to get back into that sort of racing shape and then figure out how to knock off last last 18 seconds.

17:04 this morning in some slop. Damn happy with that.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Why is it sideways?

17:04 this morning in some slop. Damn happy with that.

Nice work!