Writing an article for beginners/returning runners. Let's make sure I cover my bases. (Read 201 times)

I'm writing an article for our newspaper's health and fitness tab - coincidentally timed for the end of the year when folk will be making resolutions to be healthier.

Here are some things I hit on: Start slowly (I link to a Runners World beginner's schedule); suggest they visit a shoe store and that they probably don't need the most expensive kicks or high-tech gear; yes, running burns calories, but you're not going to lose weight if you drink a Gatorade after a one-mile run; I suggest keeping a log (and plug RA); smartphone apps; find a race calendar; maybe hook up with a running club.

Taking suggestions until Sunday.

TJoseph

You should put some information into the article about how to stay motivated and make running a long term commitment. It shouldn't just be about losing weight.  Diets are better for that anyways.

Noted! It's become such a part of my life, I didn't even think that. Thanks!

jpdeaux

Keep goals fresh.
          Never give up.
          Walking is okay.
          Build support network; engage family if possible.
          Lay out clothes for your next run as soon as you finish this one.
          Don't be too hard on yourself as you start out. But, don't be too easy either.
          Running is just part of the whole health picture.
          Your knees will be fine. Chances are, your knees will be just fine.
          Have multilayered goals that support and reinforce each other.
          Listen to your body. Let it tell you when it's starving and thirsty. Otherwise, change nothing.
          Try "fast" every now and then.
          Invite friends and family to run with you.

Sunday, huh? I may add a bit more later, then.

Establishing routines, really thinking about when you are most likely to get it done (morning/evening/lunch?), slow = good...

...and if you stick with it, you can eventually buy these awesome stickers for your car to let everyone know about your long-distance feats. Preening! It's great cross training!

And as if Runners' World was reading my mind. Showed up moments ago in my FB feed. I'm also gonna call a local HS coach, I think.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Pay attention to pain.  Ignoring something and hoping it goes away is not always going to work and it can seriously derail your new routine.  Learn the difference between sore muscles and injury.

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Patience and persistence are the most important key words.

Also, in case anyone hasn't yet been exposed to the RA mantra:  Run lots, mostly slowly, sometimes fast.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Consistency is key.  It's better to run a little bit every other day (or even 5-6 days a week) than a lot once or twice a week.  Not only can you build up the habit more quickly by doing it more frequently, it's also a good way to avoid injury.  Yes, avoid--by running more frequently you allow your body to become accustomed to the new stress.  By not running too much at once, you don't overstress yourself.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

A couple things I remember that seemed to get me going after a couple starts and stops.

Conversational pace.  If you can't carry on a conversation, you're going too fast ... if you can sing a song, you're going too slow.  As you increase your fitness, that conversational pace is going to be faster etc.   

More is not always better ...    Running 7 days a week as a beginner is not the way to get started.  IMHO - A rest day is just as important as a workout day...especially as you get started. 

Tim 

bojangles

keep running simple. No need for fancy gadgets and apps. Don't think too much into it and enjoy life as a runner. Biggest obstacle is leaving your front door (most of the time). And socks are over rated.

1.  Strengthening exercises for knees and hips.  Both bothered me some when I got started and doing exercises fixed the problem.

2.  Sign up for a 5K race.  Even if you run/walk/run to finish it's tremendously motivating.

BTW:  I started at age 65.

NHLA

Get in gym shape before you start running. Work out 3 days a wk for 2 mo.with 15 min on TM per day before you start running.

Get in shape before you start running, don't run to get in shape.

Gallaway   run - walk plan.

run trails because its not so boring.

run with a friend

consistency

time on feet is more important than how fast or how far

have fun & mix it up

you will have aches & pains, its part of the adaptation process.  learn how to manage these & know the difference between them & real injury

progress very slowly, have the attitude that this is a lifetime lifestyle committment whether your goal is simply fitness (weight loss, get off meds, improve heart, improve mental clarity, improve daily energy, fight off depression, etc.) or compettion.

GinnyinPA

If you're coming back after a long break, don't expect the speed or ease to come back right away.  It takes longer than you'd think.