If you could go for a run as any animal in the world . . . (Read 602 times)

bhearn

http://www.speedofanimals.com/animals/elephant

Nice. The Galapagos tortoise runs at 0.3 km/h, but it feels like 0.4 km.h!

I guess it's beside the point here to point out that nothing really runs faster than humans over long enough distances, huh? So yeah, I'll take mountain goat. That looks like fun.

Did anyone say Moose, yet?  Meese/mooses seem to be pretty good runners.

I was going to but hadn't gotten around to it yet. They are truly amazing runners blasting through boreal forest. I have no idea how they get their antlers through. We had hiked / bushwhacked (with field gear while working) in that general area earlier.  We were taking a break on a bluff overlooking the area when we saw the moose run through.

Definitely agree that mountain goats and sheep look more agile.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

If there was a 10K or marathon though the jungle and I ran it as a monkey, would it be considered cheating to "do it" by swinging from the branches above ? As long as the canopy overhung the path of course ...

sugnim

I was going to but hadn't gotten around to it yet. They are truly amazing runners blasting through boreal forest. I have no idea how they get their antlers through. We had hiked / bushwhacked (with field gear while working) in that general area earlier.  We were taking a break on a bluff overlooking the area when we saw the moose run through.

Definitely agree that mountain goats and sheep look more agile.

Moose do look pretty funny when they run--almost as if their knees are going the wrong way or something.  But they can go pretty fast, and they are playful.  This past summer I was in Tetonia, ID & I went for a run down a forested dirt road.  About 5 miles into the run, I had to stop for 2 young moose that were playing together, running up and down the road, jumping around, and playing chase.  It was so cool to see them, but I was a little nervous since I didn't know where the mother might be.  Just in case, I took off my sunglasses & hid them under my shirt so that I didn't falsely appear to be staring them down.  After about 10 minutes, they trotted back into the trees and were gone.  It did seem that at least these young moose had a great time running.

Hoban-Jay

Three-toed sloth.   Or maybe a squirrel...they can run everywere...sure on the ground, but up and down trees, along telephone wires, up and over rooftops...and it always looks so easy and natural...except when they're running underneath car tires, then they become not so good at running.

Three-toed sloth.   Or maybe a squirrel...they can run everywere...sure on the ground, but up and down trees, along telephone wires, up and over rooftops...and it always looks so easy and natural...except when they're running underneath car tires, then they become not so good at running.

You don't want to run as a Stellars Jay?

My dogs are fast, not me

Greyhound. Smile

Robin

Half Fanatic #846

You don't want to run as a Stellars Jay?

Well, turnover is really great, but it takes a while to go several yards.  Wink

What's the "fastest turtle" in the world? - that's me. Squirrel sounded really good.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Pronghorn Antelope. The distance/speed champ

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Queen of 3rd Place

+1 on the pronghorn, 55mph for hours at a time, WHEEEEE!!!!

Ex runner

Cool Jump Suit

Probably a horse.  Yeah, that would be cool.

So bittersweet,
                        This tragedy
                        Won't ask for absolution;
                        This melody,
                        Inside of me,
                        Still searches for solution.
                        A twist of faith,
                        A change of heart
                        Cures my infatuation.
                        A broken heart, 
                        Provides the spark
                        For my determination.

sugnim

Pronghorn Antelope. The distance/speed champ

Wow!  I did not know that about the pronghorn.  In springtime, I like to drive to the National Bison Range Wildlife Refuge & watch the baby pronghorn hop around and play.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow!  I did not know that about the pronghorn.  In springtime, I like to drive to the National Bison Range Wildlife Refuge & watch the baby pronghorn hop around and play.

And can humans outrun them to the point of exhaustion?

Queen of 3rd Place

More convincing than the pronghorn chase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Ex runner

Sea star