Best Way to Start Working on a Base (Read 1044 times)

My running has been falling behind lately and I'm hating it. I only started in April, with C25K and since finishing that haven't really been able to get into the swing of "what next?". I would like to build a base that will see me able to run a half marathon at some point (no rush to get to that but that is the kind of base I'm shooting for eventually). I was going for HH spring training but never really got into it and runs started falling away. Now I'm feeling pretty crap and starting to lose a bit of condition. Any suggestions? PS I'll be leaving town at the end of September and running will have to take a back seat for a while but I still want to do what I can until then.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run

Just Be

Just get out and run whenever you can and go slow. Try to slowly work up to about 30 to 40 easy miles per week over 3 to 5 months. Once your body gets used to that you will be in a good position to run a half marathon at a race pace and not feel totally beat up the next day. Consistency and time on your feet are key.
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Since I finished C25K, I haven't picked up another training program, but here's what I'm doing. I still run 3x per week, but never the same amount length of time run. (I didn't do C25K on distance.) I've been running between 25 and 43 minutes; I'm going further and I think I'm improving. (My log is public if you want to look.) I'll get to a structured plan once I pick one; I'm targetting 10Ks for next year and probably the local half marathon for fall 2010. Good luck getting back on track; just remember getting out the door can be the toughest part of your run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Do you think it matters how weekly mileage is broken down at first? Is a long run important when base building, compared to running more often for example? Or is a long run something that specifically helps mostly when training for longer races and distances? I know it is all relative and that many runners will say it doesn't matter for newbies and it probably doesn't were the alternative is not running but I'm curious and I like info Wink

2008 Running Goals
          • Complete a 10K fun run

Just Be

I don't think it matters in the sense that you need to stick with a set training schedule. I do think it matters in the sense that you listen to what your body tells you. As you said, running is not an exact science and results/needs vary greatly from one runner to the next, but the important thing, IMO, is to have a loose plan with weekly distance or time goals and try to stick with it and see it through, but don't let it control you. It is okay if you have to stray from the plan when your body tells you that that is what is necessary. Sometimes I feel like I'm over training (like right now, actually) but by making slight modifications to my duration/distance/intensity of each remaining run for that week and balancing it all out with what my body is telling me, I can usually still make my total ultimate weekly goal, whatever that may be, but usually not exactly on target. The long run really helps with aerobic fitness, but in the beginning it will probably do more harm than good unless you make it only a mile or two longer than your regular run distance. Hope that helps! Smile
              Do you think it matters how weekly mileage is broken down at first? Is a long run important when base building, compared to running more often for example? Or is a long run something that specifically helps mostly when training for longer races and distances? I know it is all relative and that many runners will say it doesn't matter for newbies and it probably doesn't were the alternative is not running but I'm curious and I like info Wink
              Taken from a post earlier this year: The intermediate training schedule from The Complete Book of Women's Running by Dagny Scott might be one to consider. It is a 16-week plan that starts with three 30-minute runs and one 35-minute run per week and builds to five runs per week, including a 60-minute long run. I guess it depends on whether you want to run more days. I don't want to put the schedule here because there may be copyright issues. I found it online by googling "intermediate training schedule" (in quotes) and dagny (outside the quotes). That only returned one result, which I selected and then scrolled to page 59. Good luck, whatever you decide and congrats on coming so far with your running Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Hi Cheffy, That schedule looks pretty good. It looks like the kind of running amounts that I might eventually feel pretty good about. I'm not sure I'm at a stage yet where I would be able to go right through the program as it is stated but I do think that I could start with the first week and take each week as it comes for as long as I feel I need until I would be ready to progress to the next level. It looks like enough of a plan to give me the some underlying structure and even if the build up took many more weeks than intended here that would be alright. THANKS.

2008 Running Goals
                • Complete a 10K fun run

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I've never done the C25K, but after a long break in my running I worked my way back up to a 30 min. run 3 x a week and then did the One Hour Runner in Aug. of 07. Here's a link to it. You have to scroll down to the bottom for the schedule: http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm#run So after that I made my own weekly schedules, advancing for distance, not time, making sure not to increase my mileage more than 10% per week and that worked very well. I ran a set distance for 2 of the days and increased mileage a tiny bit each week on the other 2. Eventually the last run of the week became my "long run." Just don't get too adventurous or worry about speed. I did and and ended up with an overuse injury last July. After my muscle tear healed (and life got in the way) I started back this past March and slowly worked my way back to what is now 20 mpw. I'm still babying myself to prevent injury and run 4 x per wk with 3 rest days and right now my long run is 8 miles. My short-term goal is to continue ignoring speed and get my long run up to 10 miles and then just keep at it for several months. If I continue to feel great, then it's time for some speed work. I can hardly wait - but patience is what it's all about. Smile HTHs!
                  ~ Fly ~
                  Only as much as I dream can I be.
                  veggies on the run
                    Hi Cheffy, That schedule looks pretty good. It looks like the kind of running amounts that I might eventually feel pretty good about. I'm not sure I'm at a stage yet where I would be able to go right through the program as it is stated but I do think that I could start with the first week and take each week as it comes for as long as I feel I need until I would be ready to progress to the next level. It looks like enough of a plan to give me the some underlying structure and even if the build up took many more weeks than intended here that would be alright. THANKS.
                    Exactly. We repeated many weeks on the plan initially, because you want to be careful with overtraining for your current level of fitness. If you are like me, I like to always have a PLAN. Plans are good because they keep you from overtraining, and keep you focused on the goal. Just remember to make sure and run slowly. I know it's hard to hear that over and over and over again, but believe me, if there is one piece of advice that I feel qualified to give, it is to slow down, and run at a pace that is truly easy. Had i done that before, I would never have been sidelined for some injuries when I first started running. Good Luck with it, and keep me posted on your progress! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Thanks so much all of you. Will do with the updates!

2008 Running Goals
                      • Complete a 10K fun run
                        What i did is something like others.....i just worked up to 2 miles per day 5 days per week, taking off on Mon and Fri.....that after that, I started adding ONE mile per week to one day....so its a slow build up......dont think too much about it....just stay out there and stay consistent...and run slow and keep adding miles at around 5% to 10% per week.....and you'll be fine......e Consistency is the most important thing.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

I think it is important to find ways to do creative personal bests some what regularly. I use the word creativly becuase if you just simply go farther and faster every time it will lead to injury. Examples of this... Most miles in two days, more in three, most run days in a row, best pace for very specific parts of a course, most miles in week, most miles in a month ext... just find ways to be creative.
                            +1 on One Hour Runner. I did it after C25k, and that's where I went from being excited that I could run to actually enjoying it, and learning to love running. Once I finished that, I just added here and there to get up to where I am now (6 days a week, 40min-1.5hrs depending on the day). I'm aiming to be at ~30 mpw regularly in a few months and hold it there for a while.
                            Brandon
                            Carps10

1. put one foot in front of the other 2. repeat step number 1 as necessary
                                1. put one foot in front of the other 2. repeat step number 1 as necessary
                                Wee_Little_Me - I think Carps has the very best answer of all.....its really easy to try to analyze it too much when all it is is runing.....I think Carps left off that its suppose to be fun.. So try Carps running program, and stop when it quits being fun - take a day off - and then do it again..... It just might work.........

Champions are made when no one is watching