Yesteryear Training. (Read 1358 times)

Has training changed in the last 35 years? For a calibration, see Training - 1970s Style.
    Scout7

Goes to show it really can be pretty simple. Thanks for that, Jim.
        I don't get the obsession people have with simplifying things. If you don't want to follow a rigid plan, then don't follow a rigid plan. But don't deny that it doesn't work for some people. If you don't like GPS devices, modern fueling and hydration options, or technical gear, then don't use them. But don't deny that some people don't use them with great success. If you don't care to be bothered with VO2, LT paces, and running economy, then don't buy the books. But don't deny that these principles are a scientific reality and can be used as a training tool. Everyone wants everything to be simple and easy. You want to take running and reduce it to a glib slogan: "run lots; mostly easy; sometimes fast." Print it on a t-shirt and make bumper stickers. Run by "feel" not by a schedule. Pain isn't pain. Fast is easy. Oh, and ridicule anyone who takes a more structured, scientific approach. That's a load, in my opinion. Physiology is a science, and there are scientific methods to become faster, stronger, and better. Running is hard; its the hard that makes it great.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Hannibal Granite

I don't get the obsession people have with simplifying things. If you don't want to follow a rigid plan, then don't follow a rigid plan. But don't deny that it doesn't work for some people. If you don't like GPS devices, modern fueling and hydration options, or technical gear, then don't use them. But don't deny that some people don't use them with great success. If you don't care to be bothered with VO2, LT paces, and running economy, then don't buy the books. But don't deny that these principles are a scientific reality and can be used as a training tool. Everyone wants everything to be simple and easy. You want to take running and reduce it to a glib slogan: "run lots; mostly easy; sometimes fast." Print it on a t-shirt and make bumper stickers. Run by "feel" not by a schedule. Pain isn't pain. Fast is easy. Oh, and ridicule anyone who takes a more structured, scientific approach. That's a load, in my opinion. Physiology is a science, and there are scientific methods to become faster, stronger, and better. Running is hard; its the hard that makes it great.
          I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is saying that those things don't work or that they aren't real. If a gadget or certain piece of knowledge helps you to train better and race faster then I believe anyone here would say go for it. I think the point is that for most people they would be better off just running more. You don't need all the high-tech gear or to know exactly what 87% of your Max Heart rate is while running at 95% of your VDOT during a Tempo run - or would that be a lactate threshold run Smile All the knowledge and gadgets in the world won't make a faster runner, but running more usually will.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

A Saucy Wench

If a gadget or certain piece of knowledge helps you to train better and race faster then I believe anyone here would say go for it.
            Actually no, a fair number will mock you. But this is the key piece I took from the article
            Runners can’t agree on a single recipe because there’s nothing to agree upon. As long as certain general routes are followed, there are an almost infinite number of ways to reach the same end. Half the fun in running is in mapping out those ways, watching where they lead, and arguing with runners who come at the same place from a different direction.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Go Daddy

Simple is as simple does. Imagine two people who can play the guitar as a hobby. One plays casually at home and likes to learn how to play all his favorite songs. The other person plays guitar in a band with nightly practices and weekend shows. One is not structured and he is doing what he enjoys doing. The other is structured and precise in doing what he enjoys. They both play the guitar, enjoy doing it and get better the more they play. Is either one wrong? Running is running. It is not wrong to be simple nor is it wrong to take advantage of the advances science has made in the sport. I don't think anyone should mock a complex training schedule nor should the simple brigade be looked down upon by those with rigid plans.

Half Fanatic #846

Simple is as simple does. Imagine two people who can play the guitar as a hobby. One plays casually at home and likes to learn how to play all his favorite songs. The other person plays guitar in a band with nightly practices and weekend shows. One is not structured and he is doing what he enjoys doing. The other is structured and precise in doing what he enjoys. They both play the guitar, enjoy doing it and get better the more they play. Is either one wrong? Running is running. It is not wrong to be simple nor is it wrong to take advantage of the advances science has made in the sport. I don't think anyone should mock a complex training schedule nor should the simple brigade be looked down upon by those with rigid plans.
                Exactly right! Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Why is it sideways?

Berner: find x.
                    I've been thinking the same thing Berner. Well stated.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Non ducor, duco.

I don't get the obsession people have with simplifying things. .
                      I dont get the obsession people have with complicating things.

A Saucy Wench

Quote from Berner on 7/29/2008 at 2:10 PM: I don't get the obsession people have with simplifying things. .
                        I dont get the obsession people have with complicating things.
                        I dont get the obsession people have with other people's training

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can't get no Satisfaction... Oh wait...I thought this was the Stones appreciation thread. Nevermind...carry on. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Get back up!

don’t run 26 miles at five minutes a mile on good looks...
                            Ah crap. *cancels makeover
                            Live your heart and never follow.
                            Go Daddy

The way in which a person trains is that person's choice. We may be able to warn people not to over train or not train at all. But in between doing nothing and over training there are millions of runners doing their own thing to reach their personal goals. Everyone should feel welcome to share their questions and offer suggestions. This is how we learn and chose for ourselves which direction we want to take our training. Why is this even an issue when there are perfectly rude cyclists, un-leashed dog walkers and owners of wayward automatic sprinklers out there begging to be mocked.
                                Don't "train" Just run.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K