How old should you be running a marathon? (Read 909 times)

rebecca s

my dad and i want to run a marathon together and he thinks this is his only time to be able to run one. i run crosscountry at my highschool and im 16. is that to young to put that much strain on my body? a fellow crosscountry runner says i shouldnt but im not sure. the marathons in may and crosscountry doesnt start till august but im afriad i will hurt myself. should i go for it? or wait till im older...

Maniac

Well, I don't know for sure, but there was an 11-year-old who finished the half-marathon in front of me a couple of weeks ago. I realize there is a lot of difference between a half marathon and a full marathon, but there is also a lot of difference between an 11-year-old and a 16-year-old. I would think the bigger issue would be how long you've been running... I guess I don't see the problem in it, but again, I'm certainly no expert.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Can you run a marathon? Probably. Should you run a marathon? Doubtfully. You probably aren't done growing, looking at your training log (which may or may not be accurate but I assume you are running similar or less mileage than I did at your age) it doesn't look like you have the base for marathon training, and I think that a bad experience now could easily turn you off from the sport. If you want a lot of different opinions on this, check out this thread: Running a Marathon at 17... Here's my response from that thread modified a bit to fit what little I know from this thread: Normally, my question would be how long you've been running, but looking at your training log and your profile, I have to recommend against it. You are only 16 years old, and you probably aren't done growing yet (even though you may be done growing up you still probably aren't done growing out). I personally wouldn't recommend racing over 8 or 10 miles, and wouldn't recommend easy training runs over 10 miles for at least a couple of years (this is based on what is in your current training log.) I ran my first marathon my junior year in college, about a month before I turned 21, and my second marathon wasn't until I was almost 24. One of my college teammates who is a few years younger than I am waited until he was 23 or 24 to run his first marathon. He ran a 2:39. We can't convince him to run another one until he's 26, he says. I don't think that you need to wait that long, but I definitely advise against running one at 16 or 17 or 18. If you do run a marathon in the next few years, then I recommend only doing one and waiting until post-college to start running them regularly. Are you planning to run in college? Because my guess is that you will be too busy training for 5k or 8k races to really think about running a marathon anyway.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Well, I don't know for sure, but there was an 11-year-old who finished the half-marathon in front of me a couple of weeks ago.
          I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember reading an article 10 or 12 years ago that claimed that 10-12 year olds make the best marathoners because their bodies are as developed as they are going to get before hitting the last major growth spurt, meaning that they can exert the most energy with the least fuel. I still recommend against it. I'm old fashioned.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Is the marathon THIS may? Aside from your age, I agree with Blaine --- I don't think you have a strong enough base to run a marathon. MTA: Zoomie said it better Blush
            2009: BQ?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rebecca, if this helps at all...I have been running solidly for nearly 2 years and am not planning my first marathon attempt until this coming Fall, when I will have been at it for 2.5 years. Last year I probably could have loped my way through a marathon with the mileage I'd been doing prior to my Fall HMs (generally between 35-38/week at my peak), but it would have been miserable and left me open to injury--and I am no longer growing (well, aside from my waistline...grrr...). It's important to me that my first marathon be as good an experience as I can possibly make it (in the hopes that I will want to do more). I'd hate for you to push yourself into something you may not be ready for both in terms of physical development and training. You only get one chance at a first marathon and it would really stink if you injured yourself so badly by rushing it that you were unable to run well for the remainder of your life. You have many years to build a mileage base and train for a marathon. Personally, I couldn't imagine that stress while still in high school. That is such a major amount of work and time commitment, as is.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You probably could train for and run a marathon but you run the risk of doing permanent damage to your still developing knees or worse. Marathon running is an adult activity for many reasons and the following article will explain some of them: IMMDA ADVISORY STATEMENT ON CHILDREN AND MARATHONING How Young is Too Young Tom

Maniac

I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember reading an article 10 or 12 years ago that claimed that 10-12 year olds make the best marathoners because their bodies are as developed as they are going to get before hitting the last major growth spurt, meaning that they can exert the most energy with the least fuel. I still recommend against it. I'm old fashioned.
                  24061 Austin Tielke Phoenix AZ 12 M 1:41:53 1:46:26 892 705 8 67.7% I guess he was 12....I swore the announcer said 11...There were a lot of 12 and 13 year old finishers in the half marathon. I looked at the full marathon results, by the way....There were 2 17-year-old male finishers, 1 16-year-old female finisher, and 3 17-year-old female finishers. This from race with several thousand runners....In other words, it's not real common, for what that's worth.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember reading an article 10 or 12 years ago that claimed that 10-12 year olds make the best marathoners because their bodies are as developed as they are going to get before hitting the last major growth spurt, meaning that they can exert the most energy with the least fuel.
                    What about training? Even presuming that's true, what 10 year old has the discipline to put in the mileage?
                    2009: BQ?
                      my dad and i want to run a marathon together and he thinks this is his only time to be able to run one. i run crosscountry at my highschool and im 16. is that to young to put that much strain on my body? a fellow crosscountry runner says i shouldnt but im not sure. the marathons in may and crosscountry doesnt start till august but im afriad i will hurt myself. should i go for it? or wait till im older...
                      Age aside, you need to have a better base. Maybe you haven't been logging your runs, but your log suggests minimal mileage since Aug and none in the fall. Now might be a good time to start building a base for your fall xc as well as a marathon in May 2009 or later. Does your Dad run or is he starting from scratch? IOW, is he experienced enough to know what he's asking.? (he may be, but it's not clear from your post) Maybe a half marathon or shorter race like a 5-10k might be a goal for you and your Dad for this year. (Regarding the age issue, it's generally recommended that hs and younger students not run marathons because their body is still forming, etc. This would be especially true for road racing. And since you're on hs xc team, I suspect you'd be aiming to race the marathon, not to just do it as some quality time with your dad. That said, I am aware of some 18-19 yo guys who have run 100-mi trail ultras successfully, but they built their base over many years. Trails are different from roads as I'm sure you recognize. I think most also had running parents that could guide them safely - but they didn't push the kids into it. )
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      rebecca s

my training log is very inaccurate but i still agree that i probably shouldnt be running it. thanks. also i run crosscountry in the fall so i dont log my milage. i only logged my mileage a little bit during the summer for my coach.now since its beginning to be track season i need to log my mileage again. i have been running crosscountry for 4 years. also i would not be running it for time at all just to say i finished would be nice. im really leaning toward not runnning it but training for a half which i could acutally do semi-well at . o and my dad ran a 1/2 in the fall and hes set on running the marathon, which i think would be good for him.
                          Mid 20's or older. Save the marathon for later and run the shorter races. Cheers
                          Pammie

I don't know about regulations but here in the Uk to run a marathon you have to be 18 (for a half its 17) this is for the safety and welfare of the runner. Plenty of time to run marathons, keep doing the shorter races this is the best way and gradually advance as you get older
                            qcpw

Another thought: If you are serious about highschool cross country and track, dont' run the marathon because you will need much longer to recover than a 5k. It could take up several weeks in which you could be training for track or XC.
                              JakeKnight

my dad and i want to run a marathon together and he thinks this is his only time to be able to run one.
                                I think I'll play Devil's advocate just for fun. Everyone is right, of course. Mostly. Kind of. There's plenty of research to back up the suggestion that long mileage may not be good for growing young'uns. (Then again ... I'd love to see a long-term longitudinal study with one group of average sedentary teenagers and one group of hardcore 15-year old marathoners ... I suspect that at age 40, it wouldn't be the marathoners with most of the health problems ... but I digress ... I do that a lot ...) The truth is your body at 16 is amazingly resilient. There's a reason world class athletes in skating and gymnastics and similar sports are close to that age. I'm just guessing, but I'd bet for most people especially a trained athlete like you - running a marathon at your age wouldn't hurt a bit. In fact, I'm pretty sure that YOU are far less likely to hurt yourself than I was when I did my first with basically no training at 28 ... and then again at 36. That was probably far dumber than you'd be to run it. Besides, its not the marathon that might do the damage, I don't think - I think it's the hard training. So how much training would you do? How fast is your Dad? The answer really does vary. If you're going to try to run a 3:00 marathon and do all the training that goes with it, maybe you shouldn't. On the other hand, if your Dad's running a gentle 5-hour race, you could probably jog beside him tomorrow and not break a sweat. But setting all that aside, I noticed nobody even remarked on the most important part of your question. This part: "he thinks this is his only time to be able to run one." I think the actual answer depends on how true that part is. If you can wait, you probably should wait. It can't hurt. But if that's actually true, if this is your only chance to run a marathon with your father, I'd run it if I were you. The tiny chance of injury (your drive to the marathon will be a whole heck of a lot riskier statistically, I bet) is outweighed a million times by the memory you'd make. Just my two cents on a lazy Thursday afternoon. Now here's some good advice: take all of the above, including me, with a big grain of salt, and go talk to your Dad, your coach, your trainer, and your (sports) doctor.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------