Competitor Group Ends Elite Support (Read 613 times)

memememe76

Since my last post on the thread, I have become more interested in some of the elite runners, esp. the Canadian ones (hey, I'm Canadian). Anyways, I read the blog of Rob Watson, and in his most recent blog post, he writes:

http://leblogdurob.com/blog-111/

Before I start let me talk real quick about this Rock n’ Roll series. There was a lot of news last year when the Rock n’ Roll races cut their elite support. There was a tonne of negative publicity, outrage and bad press thrown their way. That was warranted, because it was a horribly lame decision.

When I told people that I was doing a rock n’ roll event they were all like “why you supporting those lame wads?” well folks. Here’s the deal, after that cluster fluff and all the negative press and outrage over the lack of elite support the Competitor group (rock n’ roll’s boss) saw the error of their ways and promptly fired their two head dudes. These dudes were the knobs whom made the decision to get rid of support. So they’re gone now, and slowly but surely Rock n’ roll is re-introducing their elite program.

For example, for this race to Phoenix they paid airfare, hotel and meals. They also offered prize money and time bonuses. Oh yes, time bonuses, always love me a good time bonus; it was $1000 for a sub 65min half. Hence the sub 65min goal.

I haven't read about their change of decision until this blog post.

ulikunkel

I also read Watson's post. While I was able to confirm that Dickey is no longer with the company, it indicates he left and does not say "fired."  As well, when I saw the replacement (even if it's an "interim," replacement), I was even more concerned about the future of elite runners and Competitor Group marathons.  It's a bunch of bankers and hedge fund monkeys.

The Great Run series is a prime example of marathons combined with corporate support done RIGHT.

http://competitorgroup.com/2013/12/10/interimceocfo/

Since my last post on the thread, I have become more interested in some of the elite runners, esp. the Canadian ones (hey, I'm Canadian). Anyways, I read the blog of Rob Watson, and in his most recent blog post, he writes:

ulikunkel

Correction: It does appear he was fired along with the other guy.  Apologies.  However, it doesn't change the fact that CGI is owned by a bunch of hedge fund monkeys....

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/12/10/shakeup-ousts-execs-competitor-group#.Ut9oJhDTnDc

Feeling the growl again

the fact that CGI is owned by a bunch of hedge fund monkeys....

I think you would be surprised at some of the companies owned by hedge fund monkeys.

The depth to which they poke their bananas in the day-to-day workings of the companies they own varies.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Joann Y

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

“The executives heard the running community — our participants, our customers, our reason for being — loud and clear,” said Tracy Sundlun, senior vice president for industry alliances with Competitor Group. “We looked at who we are, who we represent in the industry, who we want to be and where we came from. We realized that last fall we didn’t strike the right balance in supporting the sport.”

They've been reading this thread!