Competitor Group Ends Elite Support (Read 613 times)

Why is it sideways?

Someone from my running group just posted this link. Read some of the comments after this. One is supposedly from the CEO of CGI.

http://tonireavis.com/2013/09/01/competitor-group-pulls-the-plug-on-elite-racing/

Thanks for posting that.

Resident Historian

Some perspectives from runners who are affected by the decision:

Camille Herron: http://camilleherron.com/2013/09/02/are-professionals-killing-professional-running/

Josh Cox: http://joshcox.com/competitor-groups-decision-to-remove-elite-funding/

There's some interesting discussion being generated from CGI's decision. Elite development in our sport is a dog's breakfast, and Competitor's cancelling this program  is a symptom.

I've got no more answers than anyone else, but... aargh!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Julia1971

They really should call it Non-Competitor Group.

Thinkin that maybe "Competitor" is no longer an apt moniker.

From what I'm reading, nothing has changed as far as showing up and besting your competition.  They're just not going to pay to get you there.  (As someone who following abortion rhetoric, I realize that not funding something or creating other obstacles can be the same as eliminating it so I'm not trying to discount the impact of Competitor's decision entirely).

And, the more I read blogs and LetsRun, the more I find myself thinking, "Why is this Competitor's responsibility again?"  I think it's fair to boycott them because they're not doing it anymore (and because they put on crappy races).  But, this isn't exactly apartheid so I don't see it gaining traction with the everyday runner.  So far, I've seen one or two negative comments on their FB page.

Julia1971

Some perspectives from runners who are affected by the decision:

Camille Herron: http://camilleherron.com/2013/09/02/are-professionals-killing-professional-running/

Josh Cox: http://joshcox.com/competitor-groups-decision-to-remove-elite-funding/

There's some interesting discussion being generated from CGI's decision. Elite development in our sport is a dog's breakfast, and Competitor's cancelling this program  is a symptom.

I've got no more answers than anyone else, but... aargh!

Good quote from Camille's post:

You see– it’s not just about the competition and running fast. Whether the female winner ran 2:25 or 2:45 doesn’t matter to the average folk or media person. It’s about the ability to inspire and relate to people. Elite athletes need to connect and communicate for this to happen.

Yooper3.1

From what I'm reading, nothing has changed as far as showing up and besting your competition.  They're just not going to pay to get you there.  (As someone who following abortion rhetoric, I realize that not funding something or creating other obstacles can be the same as eliminating it so I'm not trying to discount the impact of Competitor's decision entirely).

When I first heard the objections to CGI's decision to no longer fund something they had no obligation to fund in the first place (i.e., provide a gift), I thought that they sounded like the same sense of entitlement that is widespread throughout our culture.  This statement confirms that they are.  If you have the right to a product or service (whether it's a race entry or an abortion), does it necessarily follow that someone else HAS to also pay for that product or service for you?  Shouldn't you pay for it yourself?

Julia1971

When I first heard the objections to CGI's decision to no longer fund something they had no obligation to fund in the first place (i.e., provide a gift), I thought that they sounded like the same sense of entitlement that is widespread throughout our culture.  This statement confirms that they are.  If you have the right to a product or service (whether it's a race entry or an abortion), does it necessarily follow that someone else HAS to also pay for that product or service for you?  Shouldn't you pay for it yourself?

Or, find an alternative solution... I'm reading a lot of anger towards Competitor and not a lot of, "Thanks, Competitor for doing what you did.  We're going to support our own now, thank you very much.  Here's what we'd like to do".  Maybe the running community is still reeling but this is not the first thread I've read about the lack of support for elite running.  And, it also seems to me that someone (USOC, UST&F?) has abrogated their responsibility here and they're being let off the hook in this discussion.  I guess I'm just not in the mood to be upset at Competitor when it's unlikely to change their decision.  What can I do to help?  I would be more than happy to support elite running.

Kalsarikännit

does it necessarily follow that someone else HAS to also pay for that product or service for you?  Shouldn't you pay for it yourself?

So by that standard, the Chicago Bears should make Jay Cutler fly himself to games.  I play the occasional game of two hand touch and no one is flying my ass around.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Julia1971

So by that standard, the Chicago Bears should make Jay Cutler fly himself to games.

By any standard, yes.

Wow ... this thread got weird.

Uh, no. An elite athlete program is not an entitlement and it's not a gift. And it definitely has nothing to do with abortion rights.

CGI is a for-profit company and their mission is not to "support" elites or non-elites.

When the Rome Golden Gala meet pays Usain Bolt a six-figure appearance fee plus his travel and puts him up in a suite at the nicest hotel in town, they do so as an investment because they know having him there will fill the seats and sell merchandise. It's a business transaction.

Similarly, even though they are non-profits, when the Boston Marathon and NYC Marathon and many others pay elite athletes travel and living and prize money, they so so because putting on a world class race helps build their global brand which helps them sell broadcast rights, merchandise, pull in corporate sponsors and draws runners from around the world who want to participate in a world-class event.

It seems like Competitor, with is RnR series, built its brand initially by following a similar model but offering more "amenities" like goodies and entertainment to the back of the pack. It seems they are saying that over time their demographic has become so disconnected from the elite road race going on up front that they don't want to participate anymore. That's their decision. This move was probably made by their private equity partners who are looking for ways to conserve cash in the short term. We'll see how it pans out for them in the long run.

So I (and a lot of other runners on this board) didn't have an interest in CGI events before and we have even less now. Big whoop. We weren't really their target market anyway. I'm not feeling a ton of anger but I'm sure not seeing a reason to thank Competitor Group for anything, either.

Runners run

Julia1971

Wow ... this thread got weird.

Uh, no. An elite athlete program is not an entitlement and it's not a gift. And it definitely has nothing to do with abortion rights.

CGI is a for-profit company and their mission is not to "support" elites or non-elites.

When the Rome Golden Gala meet pays Usain Bolt a six-figure appearance fee plus his travel and puts him up in a suite at the nicest hotel in town, they do so as an investment because they know having him there will fill the seats and sell merchandise. It's a business transaction.

Similarly, even though they are non-profits, when the Boston Marathon and NYC Marathon and many others pay elite athletes travel and living and prize money, they so so because putting on a world class race helps build their global brand which helps them sell broadcast rights, merchandise, pull in corporate sponsors and draws runners from around the world who want to participate in a world-class event.

It seems like Competitor, with is RnR series, built its brand initially by following a similar model but offering more "amenities" like goodies and entertainment to the back of the pack. It seems they are saying that over time their demographic has become so disconnected from the elite road race going on up front that they don't want to participate anymore. That's their decision. This move was probably made by their private equity partners who are looking for ways to conserve cash in the short term. We'll see how it pans out for them in the long run.

So I (and a lot of other runners on this board) didn't have an interest in CGI events before and we have even less now. Big whoop. We weren't really their target market anyway. I'm not feeling a ton of anger but I'm sure not seeing a reason to thank Competitor Group for anything, either.

The abortion sentence was an analogy on my part and perhaps a poor one.  But I made it to be charitable to the argument that without giving these elite runners appearance fees and comps at RnR events, elite running would suffer overall.  But it seems to me, if you can get to one, you can still run your heart out and therefore there's nothing non-competitive about running an RnR event.  But, my impression was that some of these runners were too poor to even get to one since they're barely making a living, so getting to one is an obstacle and that's why having things like appearance fees and comps are important.

I think you're exactly right in that the people who already had a poor opinion of CGI had it confirmed.  But, for the mid and back packers, nothing changed this weekend.

Feeling the growl again

You've got it backwards, there is no gift here.  Running a race may be a hobby for you; it's a job for elite runners.  They show up to perform and deliver value for the race (image, attention, brand, etc).  Some jobs just got cut.  It's not a great day for their opportunities.

When someone hires me to do a consulting gig, they absolutely pay my airfare and hotel room.  This situation with elite runners is no different.

Everybody gets that this fits right in with CGI's "event" take on what used to be races.  This only cuts the last cord connecting them to competitive running.  So that's at least TWO more reasons not to like them.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I got nothing to contribute at the moment, but I appreciate the varied points-of-view and lines of discussion and linked articles.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

You've got it backwards, there is no gift here.  Running a race may be a hobby for you; it's a job for elite runners.  They show up to perform and deliver value for the race (image, attention, brand, etc).  Some jobs just got cut.  It's not a great day for their opportunities.

When someone hires me to do a consulting gig, they absolutely pay my airfare and hotel room.  This situation with elite runners is no different.

Everybody gets that this fits right in with CGI's "event" take on what used to be races.  This only cuts the last cord connecting them to competitive running.  So that's at least TWO more reasons not to like them.  Big grin

Some of the elite bloggers are suggesting that other elites haven't been doing that and that's why we can't expect support from the mid and back packers.  I can't tell you how thrilled I was to high-five Joanie and Shalane at the Half I ran earlier this year.  I bet I would have been just as thrilled to be greeted at the finish line by elite runners with less impressive resumes.  As it is, I sometimes get skunk face from local runners that I try to talk to which is probably why that moment is so amazing to me.   (In fact, I joined my current running club after the 1st place finisher at a 5K I ran - I was 2nd - snubbed me and I began talking to one of the master's).

What can I do to help?  (Other than marrying an elite runner and having him siphon off all my money).

Mysecondnewname

Yep.

Not much to add to the thread other than CGI's notion that it's an event, not a race, correlates nicely with this trend:  http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/01/sports/nyc-marathon-the-fast-growth-of-a-very-slow-movement.html?src=pm

Feeling the growl again

Some of the elite bloggers are suggesting that other elites haven't been doing that and that's why we can't expect support from the mid and back packers.  

I saw a single example given of some Japanese elite coming and not performing.  Outside of that, just from observation, the vast majority of elite runners seem to give it their best in races.  But it's a marathon, things don't always go as expected, so a DNF or poor performance does not always mean lack of effort.  If I missed examples given, please correct me, I can't say I read everything.

FWIW, I don't think the CGI decision has anything whatsoever to do with how hard the elites were trying to deliver.  CGI just decided they don't care about performance, period.

In other news, next week I am going to run a Color Run "event", and at the finish I will either spontaneously combust or vomit uncontrollably.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills