Socks (Read 1088 times)

dennrunner

... What's changed? 

Possibilities:

---Your feet are longer or wider from age and miles. (Shoes don't fit the same. Arch lower.)

---Changes in fluid retention in your feet.

---Washing methodology: formerly used softener and now don't?

---Shoes stretched or midsole bottomed out causing more foot movement within shoe.

Julia1971

Possibilities:

---Your feet are longer or wider from age and miles. (Shoes don't fit the same. Arch lower.)

---Shoes stretched or midsole bottomed out causing more foot movement within shoe.

+1 in that I was having a hard time figuring out why your socks would all of a sudden start causing blisters.  I would explore another cause.  And, I also like Balaga socks...  Do they make nylon socks for running?  I wear them with my soccer cleats and have been blister-free ever since but I don't think I've ever seen them for running.  Maybe they wouldn't work as well.

+1 in that I was having a hard time figuring out why your socks would all of a sudden start causing blisters.  I would explore another cause.  And, I also like Balaga socks...  Do they make nylon socks for running?  I wear them with my soccer cleats and have been blister-free ever since but I don't think I've ever seen them for running.  Maybe they wouldn't work as well.

+2.  I'd blame shoes before I'd blame socks, too.

Well.  I hate wearing socks, so I avoid it a lot of the time.  When I do wear them, I like Balaga's "Hidden Dry," Underarmour's "Ventilators," etc.  Basically, thin as I can get--just a blister shield.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I will be curious to hear how they hold up.  I used to only wear Smartwool but stopped because the quality went down and I was going through them every other month. 

They're more comfortable and easier to put on than the Injinjis.  Much more stink-resistant.  They're thicker than the Injinjis, so for durability I may be comparing apples to oranges.

Loves the outdoors

Possibilities:

hmmm, I guess my feet could have changed. If anything my arch might be lower explaining why that is now an issue with hot spots in my instep when it wasn't before. It isn't shoe specific, so older shoes with more miles are the same as newer shoes.

So you would suggest trying other shoes? I'm used to only running in adidas Supernova Sequence, I briefly changed to the adidas Salvation when my physio wanted me to run in a shoe with more support, but I didn't like them and started getting injury niggles. So I'm a bit wary of changing my shoe, but could experiment. Also, I wonder if the adidas shoes changed when the models changed from 3 to 4. I guess it could be that and I'm extra sensitive.

I'l see if I can find the Balaga, but I haven't heard of them so I suspect they aren't sold here. I guess I'll send off to Australia for a couple more pairs of injinjis, although it's the instep that is more an issue for me than the toes so perhaps I just need to work out what they are made of and hunt out socks in those fabrics.

Thanks for your thoughts! 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

dennrunner

hmmm, I guess my feet could have changed. If anything my arch might be lower explaining why that is now an issue with hot spots in my instep when it wasn't before. It isn't shoe specific, so older shoes with more miles are the same as newer shoes.

So you would suggest trying other shoes? I'm used to only running in adidas Supernova Sequence, I briefly changed to the adidas Salvation when my physio wanted me to run in a shoe with more support, but I didn't like them and started getting injury niggles. So I'm a bit wary of changing my shoe, but could experiment. Also, I wonder if the adidas shoes changed when the models changed from 3 to 4. I guess it could be that and I'm extra sensitive.

I'l see if I can find the Balaga, but I haven't heard of them so I suspect they aren't sold here. I guess I'll send off to Australia for a couple more pairs of injinjis, although it's the instep that is more an issue for me than the toes so perhaps I just need to work out what they are made of and hunt out socks in those fabrics.

Thanks for your thoughts! 

Wait, I may have misread your area of concern. Do you mean your instep which is on the top of your foot? Or do you mean the arch area on the bottom?

If the area is the top of the foot, take note of how tight you are tying your shoes especially if your feet are getting more wet than usual (from sweat or rain). Use a lubricant of some kind on the top of your foot before you put on your sock.

If the area of concern is your medial arch, it could mean your arch is lower now and your foot is also possibly more flexible than it was previously. If this is the case, your shoe may no longer fit the same (also could happen with model changes).

Try this to test for friction or pressure points:  Remove the insole from the shoe and try the shoe on sockless. Is the bottom medial side of the arch pressing on anything hard or rough? If the arch is lower than it used to be, it could now be touching the ridge, crown, wall (whatever it's called) where the upper material is glued to the footbed. Or the side of your foot might be contacting the support straps (or stitching) causing friction and blisters (if the blisters happen to be a little higher than the direct bottom of the medial arch).

Loves the outdoors

I meant the arch sorry, the under part of my foot that doesn't touch the ground when you walk. I'll try what you suggest and see what I can feel.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

King of PhotoShop

I used to brag so much about my Feetures! socks that the company asked me to be an Ambassador for them. I mention this to provide full disclosure.  Someone mentioned the Feetures! socks that wick in an earlier post. I just want to point out that the Feetures! Elite model, which is fairly new is a great sock because it fits so tightly that there is never any rubbing against the skin and therefore no blisters.  You might just try a pair of those.  Make sure you specify Elites.  They are in all the local running stores.  Spareribs