Garmin 305 (Read 882 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay guys/gals I was really tempted last night to buy this watch. Garmin had a $50 rebate on it but I held back to do a little more research. Who has this thing and how much do you like it? I decided to give my Adeo one more chance and had issues with it. I really like the Adeo concept but it does not work to well or consistently for me. I'm tired of wasting money on things that don't work very well. Pace is very important to me right now so can you tell me if the pace is very accurate. I've tried the Times Speed and distance, Nike with shoe pod, Nike+ and the Adeo. The Nike + is just not consistent enough for me and it drives me crazy when it gives me an inaccurate pace. It also has no customization like the Adeo has.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      Yesterday was the last day of the $50 rebate... I caved, ordering mine online at about 9pm last night... got it for $250, before the rebate, too. Can't wait 'til it gets here... What I've read has been overwhelmingly positive.. that being said, I think if I were an "urban" runner with lots of tall buildings around me, I'd be inclined to steer clear.... Anything that gets in the way of you and the satellites will post a problem with any solution - Adeo, Nike, etc... Most of the complaints seem to be of that nature. As I live in an area that's 90% farm land, there's not much between the satellites and me but dust and pollen. Of which, there's a lot. Smile But I've read the info. on all the forums - here, runnersworld, coolrunnings, etc... and am convinced that of all the gadgets, this *should* be the best.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I have the Garmin 205 (which, I think, is the same as the 305 but without the HRM). I live in a city - Baltimore - and I normally don't have problems with getting a signal!
        2009: BQ?
          I have the 205. I like it a lot, but the novelty has worn off and I find myself using it less often. At most I use it twice a week. It is very helpful for doing big workouts on the roads without having to know mile markers etc, and for doing unplanned long runs wherever. I find the pace and distance very accurate for trainig purposes.

Runners run

shonan marathon, girl

I thought it might be need to have a Garmin, but I guess I just want to keep myself from getting another gadget. I have even quit using my Ipod during my runs. They don't have the same neat Garmin models yet here in Japan. People here are using GPS on their cell phones. Of course, I think the Garmin and Ipod are great for giving you motivation to run. For my runs, I time myself with my timex ironman watch and then I either use the jogging simulator HP to map the km, or I go over the course with my road bike to check the distance. I just don't want to get too obsessed with my times and want to keep things simple? I leave it to the races to give me accurate pace times and finish times. I admire all of you that use your Garmins deligently to collect your times and mileage so that you can record it in your RA training logs. Thanks for giving me inspiration to keep running! It gets hard to keep up the motivation sometimes.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Redacted. Replied to wrong post. Doh! Blush

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I have this bad feeling that a new Garmin must be coming out soon and for some reason I will really want that one. I really want to also buy it at a place where I can return it if it doesn't work as advertised. The only place that carries it had it for full price $350 with the rebate making it 300+ Has anyone heard anything about a new garmin? the 205 and 305 came out in June of last year I believe.
                  2011 Goals:
                  I wondered about that as well and wouldn't be surprised if a new one was coming out... I tried to buy 1 locally but couldn't find it anywhere. Even the dealers listed on the Garmin site didn't have that model. Exactly like you, I decided that $350 was too much to pay online, but I caved when I saw the $250. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Yeah I wished I would have seen the $50 rebate earlier then the day it was set to expire. Just my luck. I would have paid the $200. Augh. Now I can't allow myself to buy one knowing that I am spending $50 more then I had to. I really need something accurate to help with my pace. The Adeo and the Nike+ are just not accurate enough. I ran last night using my wifes polar heart rate monitor and some how lost my data. I've been thinking that I could use my heart rate as an indicator of effort. I love technology but it also drives me crazy because most of the time it does not work right.
                      2011 Goals:
                      Yeah I wished I would have seen the $50 rebate earlier then the day it was set to expire. Just my luck. I would have paid the $200. Augh. Now I can't allow myself to buy one knowing that I am spending $50 more then I had to.
                      You're still getting it cheap compared to us here in Europe. We have to pay 379 Euro (about 512 US-$) or more than twice as much as you have to – even without the rebate which was never offered here. Having said that, I found an online store and “only” paid 302 Euro (about 408 US-$), I didn't want to bother with imports, customs, having to send it back to the States in case it doesn’t work etc. It’s a nice toy to play with Smile , I only received it a few days ago and haven't tried everything. The software (Garmin Training Center) is disappointing. I’m thinking about using Trailrunner, Trackrunner or Ascent instead.
                      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Is the 305 pretty accurate with the pace. It seems most of the products I have tried do not do a very good job of this. It is the main reason for buying this watch for me.
                          2011 Goals:
                          I just purchased the 305 from www.ERWINCOMP.COM after searching for the best deal through BizRate.com. I signed up to pay via Google Checkout (similar to Paypal) and received free shipping. I paid $214.95 total. I received it in TWO days!
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I paid full price for the 305 over a year ago when it was new and I use it all the time. I use the pace feature, the timer, the HR monitor and the cool download-to-your-computer-and-look-at-your-run-on-a-map feature. Great stuff. Well worth what I spent, and now it is much less expensive!