Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

I doubt you would recover 'completely' but you would recover enough to handle it. I did 3 hard 5k's a few years back (at 44) within 14 days and was fine. They went something like 20:59, 20:18 and 20:31. .
    This is a difficult decision. I would like to run all 12 races in our local race series since I want to win my 35-39 age group this year. Last year I ran a 21:02 in race one...skipped race 2 then ran a 20:22 in race three which is on a fast course in Mason. If I run race 2 this year it is only 5 days before the race on the fast Mason course. It could hurt my chances at a sub 20 and possibly get me passed my age group members. Oh decisions to make. The 2nd race is the Komen Race for the Cure which is quite popular and attracted 50 from my age group last year. I would really have to run it hard to get points it seems. I would guestimate I need a 20:30 for points in that race...though I could run it easy and garner a time of 21:30 or so and hope to get lucky. I do need race experience so this may be a race day decision whether I race all 3 or not.
    JimR

If I run race 2 this year it is only 5 days before the race on the fast Mason course. It could hurt my chances at a sub 20 and possibly get me passed my age group members. Oh decisions to make.
      I'd run race 1 good and hard, treat race 2 as a hard tempo run and avoid a full race effort, then you should be fine for race 3.
        Here is a question for fellow posters, however. I am 35 years old and wonder if it would be possible to run three hard 5k efforts over a 12 day period? In high school 2 races a week was doable but now that I am older I wonder if I could fully recover enough to hit all 3 races hard?
        I have had success running two hard races in a row. Once was a five mile race the day after a 5K (June 2003). The other time was a 15K one week after a 5K (May 2007). Looking at my log it looks like I took some time to recover. I don't think I could handle three races in a row. I'm a few years older than you. Good luck

Right on Hereford...

Hey Dakota, I remember you from the old sub-40 thread. You've done pretty well, but I'll never buy the argument that 4-5 days are better than 7. That's a nice workout schedule you've outlined there and I agree with you about the long run. However, if you handed it to me I'd thank you and then add 2 easy 5-milers on those 2 rest days to make it 50 mpw instead of 40 Smile I don't think they would make me the least bit more tired than if I were to take the days off, and over the long haul I believe they would help my ability to recover rather than hinder it. Those few extra miles probablly would keep me a pound or 2 lighter too, and help me to better maintain fitness level. Maybe not much, but every little edge counts--just enough to beat the guy of equal ability who takes those 2 days off.
          Jim, you are far more knowledgeable than me on the topic of running, so I certainly wouldn't disagree with you! I was just sharing what worked for me. But MichiganFlyer is right, I was saying that if you're going to limit yourself to 25-40 miles per week, I do think it's better if your runs are longer. The only way to do that is to take days off, or run really short runs on your rest days. Another thing that I always seem to forget is that I'm a triathlete, so my "rest" days often include a swim or bike. I do think swimming is pretty much a recovery day for me, but biking often isn't! So I'm actually not resting 3 days a week, if that's the impression I gave (sorry).
          Here is a question for fellow posters, however. I am 35 years old and wonder if it would be possible to run three hard 5k efforts over a 12 day period? In high school 2 races a week was doable but now that I am older I wonder if I could fully recover enough to hit all 3 races hard?
          MichiganFlyer, I ran a PR half marathon a week ago Sunday (4/6) and followed it up with a PR 5k 6 days later. I'll be 38 in a couple months. So I think three hard 5k's in about two weeks' time isn't out of the question. I'd consider running the first and last ones all out, and the middle one at about tempo pace or slightly faster, like JimR said.
          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Since you have decent weekly mileage and run most days, you probably recover well. However, 3 hard efforts in a 12 day span will be tough. I agree that picking one of the 3 to race real hard is probably the best plan. Back in 2005, just before I turned 35, I ran 5ks on three consecutive weekends in 19:07, 19:20 19.22 In the last two 5ks I made the same mistake of slowing in Mile 2 by pacing with other runners I'd caught. Miles 1 & 3 were about the same pace as my 19:07 effort. A few weeks later I ran two races a couple of days apart: 3.5 M in 21.38 & 10k in 39.35

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Jim...I trust your advise because you have been running so long...I think Dakota is trying to say IF I am limiting myself to 40 miles I should try to do it over 5 days rather than 7. That way my runs will be longer. I agree the longer runs are better for me but I also agree with you in that missing 2 days a week is not particularly helpful unless I really need a day off. I think running 4 very easy miles is better than a day of rest. I actually plan on taking tomorrow off with no running so that will be my rest day - I probably will take a day off every 2 weeks from now on. Here is a question for fellow posters, however. I am 35 years old and wonder if it would be possible to run three hard 5k efforts over a 12 day period? In high school 2 races a week was doable but now that I am older I wonder if I could fully recover enough to hit all 3 races hard?
              Hi MichiganFlyer, I am with you. Jim has been a great resource for advising aspiring runners like us. Now, I am averaging 55+ miles for the last few weeks, I am considering moving from running 5 days to 6 days a week after my next 2 races (a 5k in 1.5 week & a 10 k on May 10). I normally take Mon and Fri off. Long run is on Sun, currently 16 miles (also preparing to enter a Marathon plan later). I will probably add an easy 3 to 4 miler on Fri in a few weeks.
                I am going to look to my 2 mile time in Sunday’s race to gauge how things are going. I haven’t run a 5k race in good weather conditions since October so I have little idea what mile splits I am capable of. If I hit 2 miles in 13:30 which seems like a slow time for me then I will focus on finishing in around 20:38 or so. I always seem to be good for a 33 second last tenth so I think a 6:35 last mile is quite possible. I hope to hit 2 miles in 13:20 doing something like 6:33-6:47 splits for the 1st couple miles. I consider it highly likely that I will hit 13:20 or under for the 2 mile split. That would still give me a great chance at getting below 20:30 if I can run the last half mile hard. I have only been below 20:30 four times in my life so this would be a great start to the race season. If my racing flats shave the 5 seconds per mile I think they can I might be looking at 13:10 for 2 miles. If that happens I have the golden opportunity to PR. If I hit 2 miles in 13 minutes it means I am in better shape than I think I am. That also means I will be gunning for sub 20. I can run 2 miles hard anytime. So I will be putting some effort into those 1st two miles but saving the real gutty running for the last mile. It is mile 2-2.5 that scare me the most. I will just have to run for 3:20 or so after hitting the 2 mile mark before getting to mile 2.5…. I think once I hit 2.5 I can will myself in.
                jraptor78

My goal to hit sub 20 was finally achieved last June and luckily I have been under ever since. In fact, I ran an 18:33 in the first race of the year (Jan 1) to break the 19 barrier. What I found for me was that the first mile truly seems to be my most important mile. Yes the rest of the race is obviously important and if you drop off in that second mile, than breaking 20 becomes very difficult, but going out hard and getting ahead of the big pack and setting the tone for the race has helped me a great deal. Recently I have been going out in 5:50, hitting about 6:10, and closing in about 6:00 (last 33 for the additional .1). Most people tell you to run equal splits, but I think it is only natural for us to vary our speeds at times especially to get a good start. As far as the length between races, I think that it is fine to run multiple races, but going too hard too often has led to burn outs in a lot of runners I know. I try to give myself a little time between races to recover and to train. I typically take 1 day off per week and on that day I play hockey to stay active. In my opinion, you really just have to listen to your body. Sore is good, pain is bad and if you feel like you can't race hard, then do it as a tempo and use it as a training exercise. It isn't important to set a PR every time out as long as you are building towards your ultimate goal.
                    A beautiful day to run today. Temps around 67 degrees with hardly any wind...sunny skies. I got to my race an hour early...Pinned on my number and ran 10 minutes easy ending about 30 minutes before the race started...I took a 10 minute rest to change from my training shoes to my racing flats then ran at race pace for about 2 minutes 45 seconds and felt pretty good. Ended this run about 20 minutes before race start. Did my stretching and a few short strides. This race was chip timed like last year but again there was no starting chip mat. I started a couple seconds from the front but I got to the starting line with about 5 minutes to spare so I didnt want to be rude and grab a front spot. The horn sounded and we took off. I started nice and easy for a couple minutes. I was hoping to run a 6:30 opening mile with my new lighter flats. I noticed a few runners who were 23 minute range runners ahead of me but tried not to be overly concerned that I was behind them. It took about 1/2 mile but I slowly reeled them in. It was pretty congested but I found gaps here and there to pass and tried not to go too hard early on. I saw the mile mark ahead and glanced at my watch which was approaching 6:20. Wow this is very slow. I passed the mile in 6:50 among my slowest times ever. I felt good though and was determined to try for negative splits. I reeled in runners every few hundred feet now. I remember glancing at my watch and seeing 10:30 and thinking I am halfway done I can beat 21 for sure and do some damage on this last half. I caught the wheelchair rider just before mile 2 and passed him on an uphill...he passed back on the downhill but I passed him for good on the next uphill section. I passed the 2 mile mark in 13:37 (2nd mile split 6:47)...I was happy with the negative split though this was much slower than I had anticipated I felt great - never felt this good at the 2 mile mark before. I saw a pack of 4-5 guys ahead...a marathoner named Steve who is pretty close to my times was struggling up ahead. I kept the pace and went around the entire pack. Now we had 1/2 mile to go...I kept peeking at my watch and thinking not bad....not bad I can still earn a good time here. Uphill we went (last year I passed 8 runners on the last 1/2 mile of this course and this made me very confident)...I passed a few runners going uphill and then gunned it downhill and passed another. I saw 18 minutes on my watch and increased the pace. I went over a bridge and passed a couple more runners. It is clear I started way too conservatively today but I was enjoying this as I was doing a bunch of passing here and still feeling strong. I had paced the bridge to the finish and knew there was about 900 feet left. I hammered this section. My time was somewhere around 19:45 over this bridge. I saw a girl up ahead and cruised past with about 400 feet left. The next runner was about 5 seconds ahead...a 56 year old guy who was too strong to catch. I ran hard to ensure noone would pass and finished in 20:47 officially....20:44 by my watch. I was hoping for 20:30 so a little disapointed but ran my 1st 3 mile negative split today so that was encouraging. Mile splits (my watch) 6:50 6:47 6:33 0:34 Wow I really misjudged pace on mile one. But the race felt terrific. Like a tempo run. Will have to get that 1st mile time about 20 seconds FASTER that will help shave some seconds. Ran the course with some guys after the race as a cooldown so I got a nice recovery in. 5th place in my age group...I will get 1 point in my race series for that so I am happy for placing as well. I was 41st place overall. I think I saw 700 some finishers so hopefully that isnt including walkers. I havent seen the results posted online yet so will have to see how many were in my AG when they do.

SMART Approach

Good job, Michigan. Very similar to paces I ran in Austin last weekend. 6:47, 6:45, 6:15 (some downhill) for 20:27. I am still coming back from hammy issues and really seem to be unable to do much higher paced work yet in training - even slow tempos are a challenge. Not to do them but recovery is an issue. When I do too much, they talk to me BUT, I am running pain free so I am very happy. I hope I can get to sub 20 min shape in Fall. Only averaging about 19-20 miles a week now will run a bit more upcoming weeks as half marathon is 4 weeks away. Pacing is always interesting. I enjoy the 5K more and all races distances when I am a tad conservative (not slow) the first mile. It is a rush to pass people the last quarter of races. I have always performed best with negative splits.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JimR

Good job, Mich. That's a good placement for that size a group. I have my next one coming up on the 27th. 55 miles for this week and I'll probably do the same amount next week. I'm not expecting anything from the race, I just want the hard workout.
                          Nice races MichiganFlyer and Tchuck. Were you happy with the flats Greg? I think that was the first race you used them. I have always used regular training Asics. I also raced last weekend. My intent was to run hard, but conservative. I did not want to blow up. I accomplished that goal. The first mile (down hill, the rest of the race was flat) was covered in 6:38. My average heart rate was 166. Mile two came and went in 6:58, with an average heart rate of 181. Numbers for the mile three: 6:52 and 184. The final .1 miles were covered in 33 seconds - a 5:30 pace and 187 AHR. The total race was 21:01 for a 6:47 mile pace. My average heart rate was 180, and the highest it got was 188. I left a bit out on the course. Seeing :01 for the seconds is frustrating. To improve I need to stop eating so much junk food, and start doing 5 X 1000K reps with 1:00 recovery. Last year I did them at 4:15. I think I will start at 4:20 to 4:25, but perhaps speed them up as I drop some weight and get used to the workouts. Good runs everyone

SMART Approach

Hey Maine, Yes, those critical velocity reps are very important for 5K racing and other distances. When doing them, my 5K times get faster very quickly. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do them. You may want to start with 1:30 - 2:00 rests between and ease down as you get more fit or as you approach your goal race (s).

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Nice races MichiganFlyer and Tchuck. Were you happy with the flats Greg? I think that was the first race you used them. I have always used regular training Asics. I also raced last weekend. My intent was to run hard, but conservative. I did not want to blow up. I accomplished that goal. The first mile (down hill, the rest of the race was flat) was covered in 6:38. My average heart rate was 166. Mile two came and went in 6:58, with an average heart rate of 181. Numbers for the mile three: 6:52 and 184. The final .1 miles were covered in 33 seconds - a 5:30 pace and 187 AHR. The total race was 21:01 for a 6:47 mile pace. My average heart rate was 180, and the highest it got was 188. I left a bit out on the course. Seeing :01 for the seconds is frustrating. To improve I need to stop eating so much junk food, and start doing 5 X 1000K reps with 1:00 recovery. Last year I did them at 4:15. I think I will start at 4:20 to 4:25, but perhaps speed them up as I drop some weight and get used to the workouts. Good runs everyone
                              The flats really are nice as my legs never got heavy. I crushed the last mile partly because I went out so conservatively but also partly because lifting a much lighter shoe was easier. The flats may have cost me time in mile one because I went out too slow thinking the flats would make me faster with an easier effort. But for the last 2 miles it was easy pickings. I did step in a small hole at about the 1/2 mile mark and halfway twisted my ankle...but recovered...with the trainers I probably wouldnt have even noticed the hole so you have to be careful when running in the flats. Nice time for you as well. You are much closer to 20 than you think. I am going to do weekly 800-1200-1600 meter reps starting this Tuesday. I think the long intervals will reap rewards onto my high mileage base.
                                Hey Maine, Yes, those critical velocity reps are very important for 5K racing and other distances. When doing them, my 5K times get faster very quickly. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do them. You may want to start with 1:30 - 2:00 rests between and ease down as you get more fit or as you approach your goal race (s).
                                Thanks tchuck, that is a good idea to extend the rests. I will do that this week. I am going to try to follow tinman's approach again this year.
                                The flats really are nice as my legs never got heavy. I crushed the last mile partly because I went out so conservatively but also partly because lifting a much lighter shoe was easier. The flats may have cost me time in mile one because I went out too slow thinking the flats would make me faster with an easier effort. But for the last 2 miles it was easy pickings. I did step in a small hole at about the 1/2 mile mark and halfway twisted my ankle...but recovered...with the trainers I probably wouldnt have even noticed the hole so you have to be careful when running in the flats. Nice time for you as well. You are much closer to 20 than you think. I am going to do weekly 800-1200-1600 meter reps starting this Tuesday. I think the long intervals will reap rewards onto my high mileage base.
                                Good feedback about flats. I have never used them. My next race is May 4. A fast, certified 5K. Another RA poster (mainerunnah) will be at there. He's doing the Boston Marathon today (good luck Bob!)