Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Nice job, GOF!

(Gotta ask why you backed off ,just because the guy wasn't in your age group though, I love beating younger runners.)

Steve, on a flat course and on a cool day, you've got it!

Mr.PH, you have been running really well this year PB's at all distances- I am sure if you train specifically for the 5k you will be very fast.

And I agree with Bram, it takes a lot of hard work to develop that "natural speed"!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Nice job, GOF!

(Gotta ask why you backed off ,just because the guy wasn't in your age group though, I love beating younger runners.)

It's something I agree I have to work on.  I guess I figured a couple of seconds wasn't going to matter.  I could see the clock and knew a PR was already locked in.  Maybe I was saving a little in the tank for the next race?  Smile

Arggggh!!!  20:10 a complete third mile meltdown.

I knew the last race had to be to good to be true.  This brought me back to reality.  I'm going to exclude the 19:14 from my PR"s until I feel it was truly deserving.  Will have to hold off on the graduation to the sub-19 thread Smile

No excuses though, tactfully I only have myself to blame.  Proper pacing is critical for a good end result.  As has been discussed on the sub-19 thread it can be dangerous to go out too fast.

1st mile, 5:55

2nd mile, 12:10 (6:15)

finish, 20:10 (7:16)

2nd in my age group.  Age group winner was 18:59.  Overall winner 15:43.

As I look for any positives... it is that I did go 6:05 pace for two miles.  Continue with the base miles until I can support the speed level I guess.

Hopefully, things went better for you guys.

MoBramExam

1st mile, 5:55 

No mystery here.  No harm in testing your limits either.  Now you have a better idea of what you can do, and you already reconized it will make you better next time out.  You've made such impressive progress that its scary.

I'm back in the game beginning 9/20.  Plan to race three 5Ks over 35 days.  Two hilly courses will be a real challenge to hold serve.  The middle one is flat and fast.  Primary goal is to finish in top 3-5 overall....and to push GOF, of course.

Another runner told me a good thing about the shorter races is that redemption is only a week away. Not sure if that's true, but thought it sounded cool .

Current Goals: Run and stuff

* cross post from the sub 19 thread *

I ran a very interesting race last Sat.  It is a handicap race organized by my running club.  The distance is also a little odd, 3.06 miles - 4 laps through the neighborhood.

I finished in 19:18, so my projected 5k time for today was probably from 19:35-19:37.  It would have been a pretty good PR for me (real 5k PR is 19:51).  I am also very happy about it because this week I had an anti-taper.  I increased the mileage and would probably finish over 100 miles for the first time.

I was falling off the pace a little through 2.5 laps.  But at that point, the probably fastest female runner who started 40 sec after I did caught up with me.  When she was about to pull away, I thought I really should try to stay with her.  I sped up and caught up with her and managed to stay with her until the very end. 

Splits of the 4 laps were: 4:52, 4:51, 4:54, 4:41.

My last lap was the fastest and I was feeling pretty strong.  My avg pace was 6:18/mile or 3:54/k.

MoBramExam

Nice run, gcklo.  Your HM prep is something else.  Any predictions or expectations?

While I'm of topic, Quint, I'm anxious to see how you do in your 10K later this month.  That mile race should be a lot of fun, too.

M'Flyer, I think you're good to go for a 1:38 HM (or better) regardless...i.e., you're going to do it, will it be the easy way, or the hard way?  Just relax and run within yourself and you'll cruise to it.  You'll remember earlier this summer that I hadn't raced over 5K and was apprehensive going into the first one.  Not gone a full HM yet, but have gone 7, 8, & 10.  What's hard to descibe, until you experience it for yourself, is how much the game slows down.  There are so many split decisions in a 5K, so little margin for error.  When you just relax and run the longer distances, you have what seems like forever to settle in, make adjustments, get into a flow, etc.  The 1st one is a freebie, there's no pressure, you're going to PR.  You're too good a runner not to allow your ability to take over and exceed your head's expectations.  Good luck!  

Tater, getting close now, huh?

Mobram, I'm a little anxious about the 10k as well since I haven't been racing much lately. Hopefully, this will be a good race to do before a 15k that I plan to do next month, which hopefully, will be a good tune-up for a marathon in November. Gonna skip the 1 mile race. Forgot to delete that one off the schedule. I think there was a 10-miler that I was thinking about in October too, but not sure about that one right now.

Hi Mobram,

I am hoping for a sub 1:30 HM in early Oct.  8 days before that, I would also take on a 10k.  Sub 40 is a stretch goal, but I may give it a try.  I think 40:30 is very possible.  The dilemma is, if I got for a sub 40, I might crash and burn and not even get 40:30.  I may just start running 6:29-6:30 pace for the first few miles and see if I have  anything left to speed up after 3 miles or so.

Nice run, gcklo.  Your HM prep is something else.  Any predictions or expectations?

My first try at sub 20:00 is comming Saturday.  It'll be my only try in 2009 as I'm going to cool it on racing.  My son's soccer schedule blanks out all the races I was planning and since this is my first semi-serious year I should limit the length of time I am doing speedwork.  I'll take a week off and then go back to base building. 

Based on how the 400's felt this morning I'm not sure.  I certainly think a 15 second PR is very possible.  The other 20 seconds will have to come from racing smarter, a faster course, and giving it everything at the end. 

MoBramExam

Good luck tomorrow, Doug B.  You're close enough you're going to get it any race now.  Don't forget the Milwaukee sports ediquette...untuck your shirt if you break 20 or win.

Good luck to the others racing all the different distances this weekend.

Good luck tomorrow, Doug B. 

thanks.

I just got home.  I don't know the official time exactly but I made it by 7 or 8 seconds.  That's enough cushion that I feel comfotable having a celebratory beer and bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

next year's goal maybe will be sub-19.  But for now... ~19:53-ish makes me a happy man. 

MTA:  make that 2 bowls and 2 beers. 

Good job Doug!

MoBramExam

Nice job Doug B!  Well earned.  Enjoy the feeling.

Doug B. Congratulations!

thanks.

I just got home.  I don't know the official time exactly but I made it by 7 or 8 seconds.  That's enough cushion that I feel comfotable having a celebratory beer and bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

next year's goal maybe will be sub-19.  But for now... ~19:53-ish makes me a happy man. 

MTA:  make that 2 bowls and 2 beers.